Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to Powering GTX 460 in SLI

Last response: in Components
July 15, 2011 2:52:46 PM

Hi

I have recently built a sandy bridge pc with an EVGA GTX 460 FTW GPU, since I have some money left over from the build I am looking to maybe buy a second GTX 460 to put in SLI but I am unsure if my PSU has the necessary cabling/watts to power them both.

I have a Cooler Master Silent Pro M700 which has two PCI 6 pin connectors which are both currently powering my one GTX 460.

The GTX 460 I have came with two connectors which seem to convert two Molex connectors into one 6 pin connector, unfortunately I only have two free sata slots left on the PSU so if I am correct I would end up with a total of 3, 6 pin connectors.

Anyone have any ideas on how/if it would be possible to power two GTX 460's in SLI with my PSU?
Does the GTX 460 need both 6 pin connectors to run?

Thanks
Ashley

More about : powering gtx 460 sli

July 15, 2011 3:07:58 PM

What cables do you have free on your PSU then.

Since your PSU comes with:
- (1) ATX 20+4 pin mobo connector
- (1) AUX 12V 4+4 pin connector
- (2) 6+2 pin PCI-E connector
- (3) 3x SATA connector
- (1) 2 x 4 pin molex and 1 x floppy
- (1) 3x 4 pin molex

You say you are using everything except for 2 x SATA cables? Because you can get cable adapters for molex to pci-e, but I'm not sure if you have any free since you say you don't. Your video cards will each need the 2 x pci-e connectors.
Score
July 15, 2011 3:16:06 PM

Hi
I have used:
24 pin & 8 pin for the MB
two 6 pins on the current 460
one sata for the HDD
one sata for the DVD Drive

The rest are unused, sorry for the confusion.

I have two molex to pci-e adaptors which came with the 460.

Thanks
Ashley
Score
Related resources
July 15, 2011 3:22:45 PM

I'm not sure how many case fans required a molex connector in your build, but it seems like you should have more than enough molex connectors for your molex -> pci-e adapters.

You should only need 4 molex connectors to result in your 2 pci-e 6 pin connectors that you need for your second 460.
Score
July 15, 2011 3:31:38 PM

I have a NZXT Phantom with 3x120mm fans and 1 200m fan and I am looking to add another 200mm as extra intake.

Do you mean that on the Molex connector were it has multiple ends along one cable I can use two of them to make one pci-e 6 pin?
If so dose that also work for the pci-e 6 pin connector as that also has multiple ends along the cable?

Thanks
Score

Best solution

a c 1203 ) Power supply
July 15, 2011 6:01:28 PM

The Cooler Master Silent Pro M700 (RS-700-AMBA-D3) with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 50 Amps is more than capable of powering a system with two GeForce GTX 460 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode.

You'll need to use both the modular cable with 3 Molex connectors and the modular cable with the 2 Molex and 1 Floppy connectors to get the four 4-pin Molex connectors that you will need for the two 4-pin Molex to 6-pin PCI-E Power Adapters that were included in the graphics card package.

Connect one 4-pin Molex to 6-pin PCI-E Power Adapter to each modular cable. There should be one 4-pin Molex connector available for the fan controller in the NZXT Phantom.
July 19, 2011 10:26:34 AM

Oh brilliant, thank you for your help.

Would it be better to put one dedicated 6 pin into each and a Molex adapted 6 pin instead of two dedicated 6 pins in one and two Molex adapted ones into the other, or will it make no difference?

Since you are indicating I can use multiple ends from one power cable would I be able to use two of the ends from one of the 6 pin connectors to power one 460?

Also in a similar situation can I use one sata power cable to power two hard drives using two ends from one cable?

Thanks
Score
a c 1203 ) Power supply
July 19, 2011 6:13:26 PM

Q. Would it be better to put one dedicated 6 pin into each and a Molex adapted 6 pin instead of two dedicated 6 pins in one and two Molex adapted ones into the other, or will it make no difference?

A. This is the way I would recommend that you connect it up for better load distribution.

Q. Since you are indicating I can use multiple ends from one power cable would I be able to use two of the ends from one of the 6 pin connectors to power one 460?

A. Only if you were using a single graphics card.

Q. Also in a similar situation can I use one sata power cable to power two hard drives using two ends from one cable?

A. Yes. Hard disk drives are low power draw devices.

Score
July 20, 2011 6:15:57 AM

I don't have exactly idea for this. I got lot of new thing about computer from this forum.
thanks to all.
How PC power supplies work
Score
July 20, 2011 7:00:25 AM

Brilliant, thanks so much for your help, much appreciated.
Score
July 20, 2011 7:00:47 AM

Best answer selected by fergy007.
Score
a b ) Power supply
July 20, 2011 5:29:23 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!