Closed Solved

How to Powering GTX 460 in SLI

Hi

I have recently built a sandy bridge pc with an EVGA GTX 460 FTW GPU, since I have some money left over from the build I am looking to maybe buy a second GTX 460 to put in SLI but I am unsure if my PSU has the necessary cabling/watts to power them both.

I have a Cooler Master Silent Pro M700 which has two PCI 6 pin connectors which are both currently powering my one GTX 460.

The GTX 460 I have came with two connectors which seem to convert two Molex connectors into one 6 pin connector, unfortunately I only have two free sata slots left on the PSU so if I am correct I would end up with a total of 3, 6 pin connectors.

Anyone have any ideas on how/if it would be possible to power two GTX 460's in SLI with my PSU?
Does the GTX 460 need both 6 pin connectors to run?

Thanks
Ashley
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about powering
  1. What cables do you have free on your PSU then.

Since your PSU comes with:
    - (1) ATX 20+4 pin mobo connector
    - (1) AUX 12V 4+4 pin connector
    - (2) 6+2 pin PCI-E connector
    - (3) 3x SATA connector
    - (1) 2 x 4 pin molex and 1 x floppy
    - (1) 3x 4 pin molex

You say you are using everything except for 2 x SATA cables? Because you can get cable adapters for molex to pci-e, but I'm not sure if you have any free since you say you don't. Your video cards will each need the 2 x pci-e connectors.
  2. Hi
    I have used:
    24 pin & 8 pin for the MB
    two 6 pins on the current 460
    one sata for the HDD
    one sata for the DVD Drive

The rest are unused, sorry for the confusion.

I have two molex to pci-e adaptors which came with the 460.

Thanks
    Ashley
  3. I'm not sure how many case fans required a molex connector in your build, but it seems like you should have more than enough molex connectors for your molex -> pci-e adapters.

You should only need 4 molex connectors to result in your 2 pci-e 6 pin connectors that you need for your second 460.
  4. I have a NZXT Phantom with 3x120mm fans and 1 200m fan and I am looking to add another 200mm as extra intake.

Do you mean that on the Molex connector were it has multiple ends along one cable I can use two of them to make one pci-e 6 pin?
    If so dose that also work for the pci-e 6 pin connector as that also has multiple ends along the cable?

Thanks
  5. Best answer
    The Cooler Master Silent Pro M700 (RS-700-AMBA-D3) with its +12 Volt continuous current rating of 50 Amps is more than capable of powering a system with two GeForce GTX 460 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode.

You'll need to use both the modular cable with 3 Molex connectors and the modular cable with the 2 Molex and 1 Floppy connectors to get the four 4-pin Molex connectors that you will need for the two 4-pin Molex to 6-pin PCI-E Power Adapters that were included in the graphics card package.

Connect one 4-pin Molex to 6-pin PCI-E Power Adapter to each modular cable. There should be one 4-pin Molex connector available for the fan controller in the NZXT Phantom.
  6. Oh brilliant, thank you for your help.

Would it be better to put one dedicated 6 pin into each and a Molex adapted 6 pin instead of two dedicated 6 pins in one and two Molex adapted ones into the other, or will it make no difference?

Since you are indicating I can use multiple ends from one power cable would I be able to use two of the ends from one of the 6 pin connectors to power one 460?

Also in a similar situation can I use one sata power cable to power two hard drives using two ends from one cable?

Thanks
  7. Q. Would it be better to put one dedicated 6 pin into each and a Molex adapted 6 pin instead of two dedicated 6 pins in one and two Molex adapted ones into the other, or will it make no difference?

A. This is the way I would recommend that you connect it up for better load distribution.

Q. Since you are indicating I can use multiple ends from one power cable would I be able to use two of the ends from one of the 6 pin connectors to power one 460?

A. Only if you were using a single graphics card.

Q. Also in a similar situation can I use one sata power cable to power two hard drives using two ends from one cable?

A. Yes. Hard disk drives are low power draw devices.
  8. I don't have exactly idea for this. I got lot of new thing about computer from this forum.
    thanks to all.
    How PC power supplies work
  9. Brilliant, thanks so much for your help, much appreciated.
  10. Best answer selected by fergy007.
  11. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Gtx SLI Components