I am looking to replace my current motherboard. I am looking at one that seems interesting, but I would like a second opinion.
I currently have an Asus M4A785TD-M Evo mATX 785G Socket AM3 DDR3 1PCI-E16.
With that, I also have
- AMD Phenom II X4 925 Quad Core Processor AM3 2.8GHZ 6MB L3 Cache 95W
- G.SKILL F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ PC3-10666 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24 240PIN Dual Channel
- Antec Truepower New 750W Modular Power Supply ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC 80 Plus SLI Ready 120MM PWM Fan
- BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT 1GB
I came to appreciate the option of having an onboard GPU for emergencies, so I would have a tendency to go that way again.
With that in mind, I was looking at the
- ASUS M5A88-V Evo ATX AM3+ DDR3 AMD 880G 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 3PCI USB3.0 SATA3 DVI HDMI (chipset AMD 880G)
2 other options I was looking at (without onboard video) :
- ASUS M4N98 Evo ATX AM3 NVIDIA NF980A DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI (chipset nForce 980a)
- ASUS M5A99X Evo ATX AM3+ DDR3 AMD 3PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 1PCI USB3.0 SATA3 (chipset 990X)
IMO I would stick with either AMD 970 or 990 chipsets and AM3+ socket MOBOs.
From your list the ASUS M5A99X EVO. I 'get' the onboard iGPU but I never recommend them unless e.g. AMD FM1 (APU) or Intel Z68 and they don't interfere or draw any bandwidth from the discrete GPU(s); edit/not an issue if you're not a Gamer.