Gpu usage %

houdinii

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
is it normal or bad to have your graphics card running at 98-99% my temps are usualy realy good but didnt know if usage %age ment anything or not. card is a 5870 in an asus g73jh.

HansVonOhain

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
That is perfectly normal if you are playing some normal game. Electronics can be subjected to such load. It is only the heat and over excess voltage that kills components.

If you are not doing something on your computer and it is still 99% load, you may have a problem with some program that is still running which is not fully closed.

If this is occuring when you are doing nothing:

What is your motherboard/chipset? Some are known to conflict with ATI cards, causing this issue.

Use the catalyst install manager to uninstall all of your GPU drivers, then reinstall WITHOUT AVIVO (this may have helped some people with the same problem).

houdinii

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
no if im just on the web or desktop its like 0-5% but its when i play games its always at almost 100% and well i guess what im trying to say is is a gpu either like on or off its either at 0-5 or 95-100 its never in between and didnt know if that was normal