New gaming PC

Case: Antec Three Hundred

Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K

CPU Fan: Scythe SCMG-2100 Sleeve CPU Cooler

GPU: 2 XFX Radeon HD 6950 in CrossFire

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)

PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W

SSD: Crucial RealSSD C300

HDD: Western Digital AV-GP WD10EVDS 1TB

Monitor: ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD

Optical: ASUS Black 24X DVD Burner

WiFI: ASUS PCE-N13 PCI Express Wireless Adapter

The total price range i was given is between 1500 and 2000. Mostly used for gaming, and some productivity suites. Web Browsing, OpenOffice, ect.

Any suggestions on change? I mainly took pieces from the most recent System Builder Marathon.
11 answers Last reply
More about gaming
  1. I think youre going to need a more powerful PSU, other than that it looks great already.
  2. Looks solid from here, the Intel® Core™ I5 2500 should do very well for you in gaming and the P67 looks like it will do the job nicely. I personally like a more ram, I would go with 2 x 4GB of DDR3 1600. Also the I understandably favor the Intel SSDs, but I don’t see any problems or issues.

Christian Wood
    Intel Enthusiast Team
  3. PSU - Single GPU would be fine for that 650w, but bump that Corsair to an 850w if running dual GPUs.

MEM - This debatable, but I would opt for G.SKILL DDR3-1333 1.5v CL7 memory over the 1.6v CL8 memory for its lower latency and lower voltage.
  4. You want 1.5v memory.

650W psu is cutting it too close for 6950's.
  5. That PSU looks fine, i don't think you need 8GB for a pure gaming build though.
  6. i use 4 GB in my computer, and i've never had it bottleneck, which is why i chose it originally.
  7. Yeah, even if it does its easy and cheap to upgrade.
  8. a good point i suppose
  9. That Corsair 650W unit would have been enough for that machine, people always over-estimate power draw. You could unlock the extra shaders, overclock them to or near 6970 speeds, and still be all right. Even so the 850W gives you a little more room to perhaps add a third card or if you use something more power hungry down the line.
  10. I think its best to overestimate a bit though, i like to take capacitor aging and max load into account.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build CPUs Systems Product