What graphics card to buy

gordonscomputer

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
I am attempting to build my fist computer and was not sure what Graphics card to buy.There are so many to choose from I don't know which one. Here is a list of what I have so far: Intel i7 950, Asus x58d-E mother board, cosair memory, and HAF X. I welcome any suggestiosn you may have.
Thanks GA

gordonscomputer

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011

Yes I have a Seasonic X Series 760W, I have never gamed before but I would like to in the furture and also some do some editing. I was going to buy a EVGA GTX 460 but a co-worker of mine said that it was old technology and I should get a newer card.

gordonscomputer

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011

Memory: I have Corsair XMS3 6 gb's of ddr3

But what are the memory timings, such as speeds. Like 1333Mhz, 1600Mhz, 2000Mhz, etc. The GTX 460 is not by any means old technology, it is just not brand spankin' new. If you want the power of a GTX 460 1gb get an hd6850. The hd6850 is newer and normally better.

The GTX580 is, of course, the best for those with an unlimited budget and a primo machine. If you are looking to save some dough, get a GTX570. Pretty much any of the GTX 500 series are the cream of the crop. Besides the performance and benefits (PhysX, 3D Vision, stable drivers, etc.), they really scored a hit with cards that run quiet and cool, even in SLI.

You are building a very high-end machine. If you aren't planning on playing games or running other demanding applications, it may be way overkill. If you mean to do video editing, it may work out very nicely. Particularly if the editing application(s) you intend to use support CUDA processing, I'll add my voice to those suggesting a GTX560Ti.