I am stuck after installing a new PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmac813

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
So the other day my power went out and when it came back on my computer wouldn't start. I read online it was a power supply problem so I installed a new one. My computer now turns on but it's stuck on the screen that says Compaq and F1=Setup and F10=System Recovery. However when I push F1 or F10 nothing happens. I thought maybe it was something with my wireless keyboard but I tried a wired one and nothing happened still. I've read that a power outage may hurt other parts of your cpu not just a power supply. Is there anyway to test if it's a motherboard or hard drive issue? Also does anyone know how to fix my problem with being stuck on the Compaq page? Thanks.

Solution

Yeah I think it's time for you to upgrade a little (see links). Your board is really outdated. I just rebuilt a comp. and out of pocket it cost me mmm $80. Not bad huh? As far as the drive, it's really easy... really. Plug...

MuleHeadJoe

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Have you verified that the new power supply you installed is powerful enough? Low power *might* cause weird behavior. Have you tried both warm and cold boots? (warm reboot = "ctr-alt-del"; cold reboot means power off then power on again).

If you are sure the PSU is okay, then I would believe that there's problem with something else ... it could be the mobo, it could be the hard drive (for example, if the FAT somehow got fried) or it could be a bad memory module. Sometimes if there's a disk problem, if you reboot it will either fix or skip the bad / damaged sector and successfully launch.

If the machine simply won't boot, there's no easy way to tell what is wrong. You could try replacing components one at a time but that is time consuming and if you don't have a closet full of spare parts could be expensive as well.

If you have a second working pc (or a very trusting friend with a pc), swap hard drives & see if either will boot.

Good Luck!

cmac813

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

I think the PSU works fine since before I installed it my computer wouldn't turn on and now it does. I powered on the PC without hooking the hard drive up to the PSU and it says "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter". So what exactly does that mean, does that have to do with my hard drive or XP?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

No, that error just tells you that the expected boot drive is not available (makes sense since you haven't connected power to the HDD). Try connecting the HDD and see what happens.

cmac813

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

If I connect to the hard drive it still shows the Compaq screen with the F1 and F10 options but it won't work if I press either key. I was talking to a geek squad guy and he said the only option was to take it to best buy for a diagnostic check which costs $70 and that will show what's wrong with it, most likely the mobo or hard drive. I don't really want to spend $70 just to find out what's wrong with it but I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any other ideas of what I can do?

RussK1

Splendid

The guys at best buy are idiots.. how is it the board when it posts?? Replace the hard drive... and try using different usb ports for your keyboard...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Do this. Reset the BIOS for your system. Open the case. Make sure all power sources including the monitor and powered speakers are disconnected. Then remove the motherboard battery. Press the power button to discharge any residual power stored in the system. Wait 30 seconds.

Then re-install the battery and reconnect everything. Try restarting your computer with a wired keyboard attached. See if you are able to proceed.

Good luck!

cmac813

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

I've heard the best buy guys aren't super good to go to but I'm not sure where else to go. I don't have another hard drive to replace it with and I'm not sure what you mean when you ask how the board is when it posts. I'll try using a different usb port and see what happens.

cmac813

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

Someone else told me to take out the BIOS battery, is that the same as what you're talking about? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm not very computer literate as you can tell.

cmac813

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

Can I damage it and screw something up worse if I take it out wrong, I've never even heard of the battery before so I'm not sure if I could mess something or anything.

RussK1

Splendid

the comp is turning on and giving you the option to enter the bios. This fact rules out board and cpu... although your usb ports could be dead. try using different ports and if this don't work do as the other guy mentioned and remove all power from the board, unplug the PSU, hit the power button a few times and take the boards battery out for 20 mins or so. Put it back in and see what happens. As far as the hard drive, you may have to replace it... hopefully that's it because if the usb ports are dead you'll essentially have to replace the board.

RussK1

Splendid

They're tougher than you think... make sure you're grounded and don't stick your hands in there if you're standing on carpet. If you can go outside then do it, air discharges static electricity.

cmac813

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try removing it now and will report back in half hour or so. Good thing you said don't stick your hand in there cause I was just upstairs on carpet. What's the best way to get grounded, I know I read to touch the non painted metal part, I don't have one of those static bracelet things, if I go outside and touch the non painted metal will that be ok?

RussK1

Splendid

If you don't want to go outside, set it on a kitchen counter (make sure you have shoes on and assuming you don't have a carpeted kitchen) and ground yourself with bare metal. Inside of the case is fine. Also if you live in a humid area then the chances of static discharge are slim to none. Static electricity doesn't live well in humid environments. Other than that don't worry too much, like I said, they're tougher than you think.

cmac813

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

I tried what you guys suggested and still no luck. Maybe the usb ports are messed up I don't know. I guess I'll have to look around to see if any other places will run a diagnostic test for me for less than best buy. Thanks for the help and let me know if you guys can think if anything else it might be.

RussK1

Splendid

before you go and try to get it tested, get a PS/2 keyboard and see if it works... and if it works that narrows it down to bad usb ports thus meaning a board replacement.

cmac813

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

Good idea, I think I have one around here, I'll try to find it tomorrow. Thanks for all your help guys, I'm not very good with computers but at least now I know a good forum to come to for help.

RussK1

Splendid

You're welcome. Let me know if it works...

cmac813

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
I found an old PS/2 keyboard that works however it didn't solve the problem, I still can't push any buttons and get F1 or F10 to work.

On the keyboard there are indicator lights that show if caps lock is on or is number lock is on and when I have it plugged in the indicator lights don't light up. However when I first start up the PC they flash so I know they are getting some power.

How come they flash when I start up my computer but I can't get them to go on when I turn the PC on?

cmac813

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Also at this point it seems something is really messed up, seems like probably the mobo. Is there anyway to get the files off my hard drive without having to take it to a computer repair shop. If I can salvage the files myself assuming the hard drive isn't messed up then I'd be fine with having to buy a new desktop, this one is real old and I'm not too upset unless it's the hard drive messing up. I have another desktop as well as a laptop that I could put the hard drive files on if I can do that. So is it possible to get any files off my hard drive and if so how? Is it easy to do?

RussK1

Splendid

I would assume to say that it has something to do with the south bridge which controls the lower level operations (i/o), thus yes it probably be your best bet either getting a new comp, or replacing the board. In either case it's time for a change. As far as the hard drive? It has nothing to do with what is going on... the only time the HDD comes into play is when you boot into Windows and has no play in what the bios does. contrary, it's rather opposite, what the bios does has everything else in the comp. does. If your comp was working correctly you could remove the drive and enter bios, so in layman's terms, it's as simple as that.

You'll be able to recover important data on the drive just not the programs. Photos, music, movies, etc but nothing else. So, say you replace the board, just re-install windows (use the product key that came with your system {might have to use Microsoft's automated phone service to activate}) and Windows will put everything that's existing on the drive into "windows old" folder. You can find it under "C: windows old", basically just click, drag and drop"... you'll have to re-install programs though because they won't have any registry values.

What's the make and model of your comp?? It would help me help you...

cmac813

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

My computer is a Compaq Presario SR1150NX, it's 7 years old so I'm actually pleasantly surprised it's lasted this long. So that's why I won't be too upset as long as I can save my files. I know I've read that you can remove the hard drive and hook it up to another computer but I have no idea how to even begin to do that, do you think it's something I can do on my own? I talked to a geek squad guy online and he said it's 99.99 for data recovery at a best buy and I would much rather put the 100 to a new computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.