Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Closed

I am stuck after installing a new PSU

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Computers
  • Components
Last response: in Components
July 15, 2011 7:55:03 PM

So the other day my power went out and when it came back on my computer wouldn't start. I read online it was a power supply problem so I installed a new one. My computer now turns on but it's stuck on the screen that says Compaq and F1=Setup and F10=System Recovery. However when I push F1 or F10 nothing happens. I thought maybe it was something with my wireless keyboard but I tried a wired one and nothing happened still. I've read that a power outage may hurt other parts of your cpu not just a power supply. Is there anyway to test if it's a motherboard or hard drive issue? Also does anyone know how to fix my problem with being stuck on the Compaq page? Thanks.

More about : stuck installing psu

July 15, 2011 8:42:57 PM

Have you verified that the new power supply you installed is powerful enough? Low power *might* cause weird behavior. Have you tried both warm and cold boots? (warm reboot = "ctr-alt-del"; cold reboot means power off then power on again).

If you are sure the PSU is okay, then I would believe that there's problem with something else ... it could be the mobo, it could be the hard drive (for example, if the FAT somehow got fried) or it could be a bad memory module. Sometimes if there's a disk problem, if you reboot it will either fix or skip the bad / damaged sector and successfully launch.

If the machine simply won't boot, there's no easy way to tell what is wrong. You could try replacing components one at a time but that is time consuming and if you don't have a closet full of spare parts could be expensive as well.

If you have a second working pc (or a very trusting friend with a pc), swap hard drives & see if either will boot.

Good Luck!
Score
0
July 15, 2011 8:48:38 PM

MuleHeadJoe said:
Have you verified that the new power supply you installed is powerful enough? Low power *might* cause weird behavior. Have you tried both warm and cold boots? (warm reboot = "ctr-alt-del"; cold reboot means power off then power on again).

If you are sure the PSU is okay, then I would believe that there's problem with something else ... it could be the mobo, it could be the hard drive (for example, if the FAT somehow got fried) or it could be a bad memory module. Sometimes if there's a disk problem, if you reboot it will either fix or skip the bad / damaged sector and successfully launch.

If the machine simply won't boot, there's no easy way to tell what is wrong. You could try replacing components one at a time but that is time consuming and if you don't have a closet full of spare parts could be expensive as well.

If you have a second working pc (or a very trusting friend with a pc), swap hard drives & see if either will boot.

Good Luck!


I think the PSU works fine since before I installed it my computer wouldn't turn on and now it does. I powered on the PC without hooking the hard drive up to the PSU and it says "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter". So what exactly does that mean, does that have to do with my hard drive or XP?
Score
0
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
July 15, 2011 9:44:38 PM

cmac813 said:
I think the PSU works fine since before I installed it my computer wouldn't turn on and now it does. I powered on the PC without hooking the hard drive up to the PSU and it says "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter". So what exactly does that mean, does that have to do with my hard drive or XP?

No, that error just tells you that the expected boot drive is not available (makes sense since you haven't connected power to the HDD). Try connecting the HDD and see what happens.
Score
0
July 15, 2011 11:23:33 PM

COLGeek said:
No, that error just tells you that the expected boot drive is not available (makes sense since you haven't connected power to the HDD). Try connecting the HDD and see what happens.


If I connect to the hard drive it still shows the Compaq screen with the F1 and F10 options but it won't work if I press either key. I was talking to a geek squad guy and he said the only option was to take it to best buy for a diagnostic check which costs $70 and that will show what's wrong with it, most likely the mobo or hard drive. I don't really want to spend $70 just to find out what's wrong with it but I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any other ideas of what I can do?
Score
0
July 15, 2011 11:41:18 PM

cmac813 said:
If I connect to the hard drive it still shows the Compaq screen with the F1 and F10 options but it won't work if I press either key. I was talking to a geek squad guy and he said the only option was to take it to best buy for a diagnostic check which costs $70 and that will show what's wrong with it, most likely the mobo or hard drive. I don't really want to spend $70 just to find out what's wrong with it but I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any other ideas of what I can do?


The guys at best buy are idiots.. how is it the board when it posts?? Replace the hard drive... and try using different usb ports for your keyboard...
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
July 15, 2011 11:48:11 PM

Do this. Reset the BIOS for your system. Open the case. Make sure all power sources including the monitor and powered speakers are disconnected. Then remove the motherboard battery. Press the power button to discharge any residual power stored in the system. Wait 30 seconds.

Then re-install the battery and reconnect everything. Try restarting your computer with a wired keyboard attached. See if you are able to proceed.

Good luck!
Score
0
July 15, 2011 11:48:28 PM

RussK1 said:
The guys at best buy are idiots.. how is it the board when it posts?? Replace the hard drive... and try using different usb ports for your keyboard...


I've heard the best buy guys aren't super good to go to but I'm not sure where else to go. I don't have another hard drive to replace it with and I'm not sure what you mean when you ask how the board is when it posts. I'll try using a different usb port and see what happens.
Score
0
July 15, 2011 11:50:44 PM

COLGeek said:
Do this. Reset the BIOS for your system. Open the case. Make sure all power sources including the monitor and powered speakers are disconnected. Then remove the motherboard battery. Press the power button to discharge any residual power stored in the system. Wait 30 seconds.

Then re-install the battery and reconnect everything. Try restarting your computer with a wired keyboard attached. See if you are able to proceed.

Good luck!


Someone else told me to take out the BIOS battery, is that the same as what you're talking about? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm not very computer literate as you can tell.
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
July 15, 2011 11:51:28 PM

cmac813 said:
Someone else told me to take out the BIOS battery, is that the same as what you're talking about? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm not very computer literate as you can tell.

Yes. They are the same.
Score
0
July 15, 2011 11:53:45 PM

COLGeek said:
Yes. They are the same.


Can I damage it and screw something up worse if I take it out wrong, I've never even heard of the battery before so I'm not sure if I could mess something or anything.
Score
0
July 15, 2011 11:57:41 PM

cmac813 said:
I've heard the best buy guys aren't super good to go to but I'm not sure where else to go. I don't have another hard drive to replace it with and I'm not sure what you mean when you ask how the board is when it posts. I'll try using a different usb port and see what happens.


the comp is turning on and giving you the option to enter the bios. This fact rules out board and cpu... although your usb ports could be dead. try using different ports and if this don't work do as the other guy mentioned and remove all power from the board, unplug the PSU, hit the power button a few times and take the boards battery out for 20 mins or so. Put it back in and see what happens. As far as the hard drive, you may have to replace it... hopefully that's it because if the usb ports are dead you'll essentially have to replace the board.
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
July 15, 2011 11:58:21 PM

You can't really mess anything up. It will be a coin type (round, silver, about the size of a nickel). Just make sure you note which side goes up. Removing resets the BIOS to its default config.
Score
0
July 16, 2011 12:00:30 AM

cmac813 said:
Can I damage it and screw something up worse if I take it out wrong, I've never even heard of the battery before so I'm not sure if I could mess something or anything.



They're tougher than you think... make sure you're grounded and don't stick your hands in there if you're standing on carpet. If you can go outside then do it, air discharges static electricity.
Score
0
July 16, 2011 12:06:26 AM

RussK1 said:
They're tougher than you think... make sure you're grounded and don't stick your hands in there if you're standing on carpet. If you can go outside then do it, air discharges static electricity.


Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try removing it now and will report back in half hour or so. Good thing you said don't stick your hand in there cause I was just upstairs on carpet. What's the best way to get grounded, I know I read to touch the non painted metal part, I don't have one of those static bracelet things, if I go outside and touch the non painted metal will that be ok?
Score
0
July 16, 2011 12:15:34 AM

cmac813 said:
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try removing it now and will report back in half hour or so. Good thing you said don't stick your hand in there cause I was just upstairs on carpet. What's the best way to get grounded, I know I read to touch the non painted metal part, I don't have one of those static bracelet things, if I go outside and touch the non painted metal will that be ok?



If you don't want to go outside, set it on a kitchen counter (make sure you have shoes on and assuming you don't have a carpeted kitchen) and ground yourself with bare metal. Inside of the case is fine. Also if you live in a humid area then the chances of static discharge are slim to none. Static electricity doesn't live well in humid environments. Other than that don't worry too much, like I said, they're tougher than you think.
Score
0
July 16, 2011 12:54:48 AM

RussK1 said:
If you don't want to go outside, set it on a kitchen counter (make sure you have shoes on and assuming you don't have a carpeted kitchen) and ground yourself with bare metal. Inside of the case is fine. Also if you live in a humid area then the chances of static discharge are slim to none. Static electricity doesn't live well in humid environments. Other than that don't worry too much, like I said, they're tougher than you think.


I tried what you guys suggested and still no luck. Maybe the usb ports are messed up I don't know. I guess I'll have to look around to see if any other places will run a diagnostic test for me for less than best buy. Thanks for the help and let me know if you guys can think if anything else it might be.
Score
0
July 16, 2011 1:16:18 AM

cmac813 said:
I tried what you guys suggested and still no luck. Maybe the usb ports are messed up I don't know. I guess I'll have to look around to see if any other places will run a diagnostic test for me for less than best buy. Thanks for the help and let me know if you guys can think if anything else it might be.



before you go and try to get it tested, get a PS/2 keyboard and see if it works... and if it works that narrows it down to bad usb ports thus meaning a board replacement.
Score
0
July 16, 2011 1:19:52 AM

RussK1 said:
before you go and try to get it tested, get a PS/2 keyboard and see if it works... and if it works that narrows it down to bad usb ports thus meaning a board replacement.


Good idea, I think I have one around here, I'll try to find it tomorrow. Thanks for all your help guys, I'm not very good with computers but at least now I know a good forum to come to for help.
Score
0
July 16, 2011 1:28:26 AM

cmac813 said:
Good idea, I think I have one around here, I'll try to find it tomorrow. Thanks for all your help guys, I'm not very good with computers but at least now I know a good forum to come to for help.


You're welcome. Let me know if it works...
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
July 16, 2011 1:41:06 AM

RussK1 said:
before you go and try to get it tested, get a PS/2 keyboard and see if it works... and if it works that narrows it down to bad usb ports thus meaning a board replacement.

+1 - had a similar situation when my dad's build wouldnt boot up
Score
0
July 19, 2011 10:49:27 PM

I found an old PS/2 keyboard that works however it didn't solve the problem, I still can't push any buttons and get F1 or F10 to work.

On the keyboard there are indicator lights that show if caps lock is on or is number lock is on and when I have it plugged in the indicator lights don't light up. However when I first start up the PC they flash so I know they are getting some power.

How come they flash when I start up my computer but I can't get them to go on when I turn the PC on?
Score
0
July 19, 2011 10:51:24 PM

Also at this point it seems something is really messed up, seems like probably the mobo. Is there anyway to get the files off my hard drive without having to take it to a computer repair shop. If I can salvage the files myself assuming the hard drive isn't messed up then I'd be fine with having to buy a new desktop, this one is real old and I'm not too upset unless it's the hard drive messing up. I have another desktop as well as a laptop that I could put the hard drive files on if I can do that. So is it possible to get any files off my hard drive and if so how? Is it easy to do?
Score
0
July 19, 2011 11:11:57 PM

cmac813 said:
I found an old PS/2 keyboard that works however it didn't solve the problem, I still can't push any buttons and get F1 or F10 to work.

On the keyboard there are indicator lights that show if caps lock is on or is number lock is on and when I have it plugged in the indicator lights don't light up. However when I first start up the PC they flash so I know they are getting some power.

How come they flash when I start up my computer but I can't get them to go on when I turn the PC on?


I would assume to say that it has something to do with the south bridge which controls the lower level operations (i/o), thus yes it probably be your best bet either getting a new comp, or replacing the board. In either case it's time for a change. As far as the hard drive? It has nothing to do with what is going on... the only time the HDD comes into play is when you boot into Windows and has no play in what the bios does. contrary, it's rather opposite, what the bios does has everything else in the comp. does. If your comp was working correctly you could remove the drive and enter bios, so in layman's terms, it's as simple as that.

You'll be able to recover important data on the drive just not the programs. Photos, music, movies, etc but nothing else. So, say you replace the board, just re-install windows (use the product key that came with your system {might have to use Microsoft's automated phone service to activate}) and Windows will put everything that's existing on the drive into "windows old" folder. You can find it under "C: windows old", basically just click, drag and drop"... you'll have to re-install programs though because they won't have any registry values.

What's the make and model of your comp?? It would help me help you...
Score
0
July 19, 2011 11:36:49 PM

RussK1 said:
I would assume to say that it has something to do with the south bridge which controls the lower level operations (i/o), thus yes it probably be your best bet either getting a new comp, or replacing the board. In either case it's time for a change. As far as the hard drive? It has nothing to do with what is going on... the only time the HDD comes into play is when you boot into Windows and has no play in what the bios does. contrary, it's rather opposite, what the bios does has everything else in the comp. does. If your comp was working correctly you could remove the drive and enter bios, so in layman's terms, it's as simple as that.

You'll be able to recover important data on the drive just not the programs. Photos, music, movies, etc but nothing else. So, say you replace the board, just re-install windows (use the product key that came with your system {might have to use Microsoft's automated phone service to activate}) and Windows will put everything that's existing on the drive into "windows old" folder. You can find it under "C: windows old", basically just click, drag and drop"... you'll have to re-install programs though because they won't have any registry values.

What's the make and model of your comp?? It would help me help you...



My computer is a Compaq Presario SR1150NX, it's 7 years old so I'm actually pleasantly surprised it's lasted this long. So that's why I won't be too upset as long as I can save my files. I know I've read that you can remove the hard drive and hook it up to another computer but I have no idea how to even begin to do that, do you think it's something I can do on my own? I talked to a geek squad guy online and he said it's 99.99 for data recovery at a best buy and I would much rather put the 100 to a new computer.
Score
0

Best solution

July 20, 2011 12:17:12 AM

cmac813 said:
My computer is a Compaq Presario SR1150NX, it's 7 years old so I'm actually pleasantly surprised it's lasted this long. So that's why I won't be too upset as long as I can save my files. I know I've read that you can remove the hard drive and hook it up to another computer but I have no idea how to even begin to do that, do you think it's something I can do on my own? I talked to a geek squad guy online and he said it's 99.99 for data recovery at a best buy and I would much rather put the 100 to a new computer.


Yeah I think it's time for you to upgrade a little (see links). Your board is really outdated. I just rebuilt a comp. and out of pocket it cost me mmm $80. Not bad huh? As far as the drive, it's really easy... really. Plug and play easy... You could buy a CPU and board for really cheap (what Best Buy wants for "DATA" recovery) and you've got a cheap upgrade and fun project to boot. Who knows you might learn something.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

http://s1081.photobucket.com/albums/j357/russwood8814/

The first two rows are the comp. I just rebuilt... Anyhow, I could supply you some links to some boards and compatible cpu's.
Share
July 20, 2011 12:30:56 AM

RussK1 said:
Yeah I think it's time for you to upgrade a little (see links). Your board is really outdated. I just rebuilt a comp. and out of pocket it cost me mmm $80. Not bad huh? As far as the drive, it's really easy... really. Plug and play easy... You could buy a CPU and board for really cheap (what Best Buy wants for "DATA" recovery) and you've got a cheap upgrade and fun project to boot. Who knows you might learn something.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

http://s1081.photobucket.com/albums/j357/russwood8814/

The first two rows are the comp. I just rebuilt... Anyhow, I could supply you some links to some boards and compatible cpu's.


Firstly thanks for the info. When you say plug and play easy could I just plug in my hard drive into another desktop and transfer the files off? Can I do the same thing with a laptop? I'm a little hesitant to open up the other desktop because I don't want to screw it up but I could probably figure it out. Do I need to buy any special things in order to transfer it to a laptop, I know there are hard drive enclosures which I think help transfer files but I'm not sure. I'd rather do the desktop if I don't have to buy anything to do it but I'd rather go for which is easier instead of cost. Also with my computer being so old is it still easy to transfer the files, I know there is some difference with the ribbon cables I have in mine and what's in newer hard drives.

When you say you rebuilt one for $80ish did you buy a board and other stuff? That might be an interesting option instead of buying a whole new computer. I'm not sure if I'm ready for that yet but maybe later on, I think it would be fun, until I screw something up and can't figure it out.
Score
0
July 20, 2011 1:14:10 AM

cmac813 said:
Firstly thanks for the info. When you say plug and play easy could I just plug in my hard drive into another desktop and transfer the files off? Can I do the same thing with a laptop? I'm a little hesitant to open up the other desktop because I don't want to screw it up but I could probably figure it out. Do I need to buy any special things in order to transfer it to a laptop, I know there are hard drive enclosures which I think help transfer files but I'm not sure. I'd rather do the desktop if I don't have to buy anything to do it but I'd rather go for which is easier instead of cost. Also with my computer being so old is it still easy to transfer the files, I know there is some difference with the ribbon cables I have in mine and what's in newer hard drives.

When you say you rebuilt one for $80ish did you buy a board and other stuff? That might be an interesting option instead of buying a whole new computer. I'm not sure if I'm ready for that yet but maybe later on, I think it would be fun, until I screw something up and can't figure it out.


Yep; board, processor and thermal paste (google it).

Your HDD is connected with ribbon? Are you sure it's not SATA? It shows on your boards spec sheet it has two SATA ports(but doesn't mention the interface of the HDD) If it is SATA you could just plug it into another comp. (AHCI enabled of course) and that it's not encrypted. Simply plug it in and open it up and extract the files you want. Another option is a HD enclosure like you mentioned.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Either way, this board has support for IDE and SATA, so if you go this route it'll work. Plus it has core unlocking features as well (UCC). So the link of the Sempron I gave you can be unlocked to a Athlon X2 (50/50). You'll have to get memory as well because the memory you have now is ddr1 and it's not even worth trying to find a board that'll take it. All in all, a little over a hundred bucks and you've got a new comp.
Score
0
July 20, 2011 1:45:23 AM

RussK1 said:
Yep; board, processor and thermal paste (google it).

Your HDD is connected with ribbon? Are you sure it's not SATA? It shows on your boards spec sheet it has two SATA ports(but doesn't mention the interface of the HDD) If it is SATA you could just plug it into another comp. (AHCI enabled of course) and that it's not encrypted. Simply plug it in and open it up and extract the files you want. Another option is a HD enclosure like you mentioned.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Either way, this board has support for IDE and SATA, so if you go this route it'll work. Plus it has core unlocking features as well (UCC). So the link of the Sempron I gave you can be unlocked to a Athlon X2 (50/50). You'll have to get memory as well because the memory you have now is ddr1 and it's not even worth trying to find a board that'll take it. All in all, a little over a hundred bucks and you've got a new comp.


I'm pretty sure it's a ribbon because I looked on the link you posted that showed what my motherboard looks like and the hard drive is plugged into the primary IDE and there is nothing plugged into the SATA ports (if that's the right word). So if it is ribbon and not SATA does that change how I can transfer the files, can I still just plug it into the other desktop or does it have to be SATA to do that.

Also I know the enclosures come in different sizes, I'm assuming I could just measure or read the hard drive and that would tell me what one I would need to get? If I do have to buy one I just want to make sure I get the right one because there are tons of options and a lot of them seem to say eSATA/SATA/USB but I haven't seen any that talk about ribbon.

Is there a technical term for ribbon, is it IDE? I know that's where it's plugged into but I don't know if that's what it's called.
Score
0
July 20, 2011 1:57:02 AM

cmac813 said:
I'm pretty sure it's a ribbon because I looked on the link you posted that showed what my motherboard looks like and the hard drive is plugged into the primary IDE and there is nothing plugged into the SATA ports (if that's the right word). So if it is ribbon and not SATA does that change how I can transfer the files, can I still just plug it into the other desktop or does it have to be SATA to do that.

Also I know the enclosures come in different sizes, I'm assuming I could just measure or read the hard drive and that would tell me what one I would need to get? If I do have to buy one I just want to make sure I get the right one because there are tons of options and a lot of them seem to say eSATA/SATA/USB but I haven't seen any that talk about ribbon.

Is there a technical term for ribbon, is it IDE? I know that's where it's plugged into but I don't know if that's what it's called.


Yes it's IDE which isn't a big deal.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

http://www.rosewill.com/products/s_1053/productDetail.h...

You can go with something like this... your HDD is 3.5"... Desktops are 3.5" and Laptops are 2.5". You don't have to go with this one in particular, this is just an example. Simply, you just want an IDE to USB enclosure 3.5". If you are overwhelmed with rebuilding this is probably the safest alternative.
Score
0
July 20, 2011 2:15:56 AM

RussK1 said:
Yes it's IDE which isn't a big deal.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

http://www.rosewill.com/products/s_1053/productDetail.h...

You can go with something like this... your HDD is 3.5"... Desktops are 3.5" and Laptops are 2.5". You don't have to go with this one in particular, this is just an example. Simply, you just want an IDE to USB enclosure 3.5". If you are overwhelmed with rebuilding this is probably the safest alternative.



So I can basically buy any that are IDE to USB enclosure 3.5" and then I can hook my hard drive up to the enclosure and connect it to my laptop with the USB cord and transfer my files? If it is that easy it sounds like something I can handle.

Also they seem to be pretty much the same thing so why is one $15 more than the other one? Is it just a little higher quality product or something? Either way that's pretty cheap.

I was planning on returning my PSU but if I could rebuild my PC for around $100 like you said that seems it could be better than buying a new PC. Those products you linked on the other post, how good are they? Compared to buying a PC for say $400 how would rebuilding one for a $100 compare. I'm assuming it would be good enough for what I use the computer for, just internet and email and some day trading, nothing too crazy. If I do decide to go that route in the future, I'll be sure to let you know so you can help me out some more. Thanks for all your help so far.
Score
0
July 20, 2011 2:43:02 AM

One other thing I noticed was on the Rosewill product page it has an OS requirement section that doesn't have windows 7 on it. I was wondering since I have windows 7 on my laptop that I'd like to transfer files to, would it not work? My other desktop has XP I believe so that should be ok either way but I'm just curious if some only work with certain OS's.
Score
0
July 20, 2011 2:44:50 AM

cmac813 said:
So I can basically buy any that are IDE to USB enclosure 3.5" and then I can hook my hard drive up to the enclosure and connect it to my laptop with the USB cord and transfer my files? If it is that easy it sounds like something I can handle.

Also they seem to be pretty much the same thing so why is one $15 more than the other one? Is it just a little higher quality product or something? Either way that's pretty cheap.

I was planning on returning my PSU but if I could rebuild my PC for around $100 like you said that seems it could be better than buying a new PC. Those products you linked on the other post, how good are they? Compared to buying a PC for say $400 how would rebuilding one for a $100 compare. I'm assuming it would be good enough for what I use the computer for, just internet and email and some day trading, nothing too crazy. If I do decide to go that route in the future, I'll be sure to let you know so you can help me out some more. Thanks for all your help so far.


AS far as the enclosures they're all pretty much the same. Some are just better than others is all. Here's one from Walmart -

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Inland-u-Jam-IDE-USB-3.5-Hard...

The items I linked to you... they're better than what came with your comp initially. From future upgradability, stability and reliability. The comp. I recently rebuilt for $80 bucks works way better than it did. Comp. manufactures cheat consumers by using the cheapest parts that they can (capitalism). In their eyes it's about the bottom line not about the quality of the product that they put out.

And yes, it would serve you well for what you'd use it for. I'm pretty perceptive and I seen you were the "average" user and not an enthusiast and this is why I linked you these products. But, there is a future here. You can upgrade to a six core processor, add a discrete graphics card, add more memory, add more HDD's or cd/dvd burners, etc... considering your power supply is up to snuff.

Your welcome too by the way...
Score
0
July 20, 2011 3:04:29 AM

cmac813 said:
One other thing I noticed was on the Rosewill product page it has an OS requirement section that doesn't have windows 7 on it. I was wondering since I have windows 7 on my laptop that I'd like to transfer files to, would it not work? My other desktop has XP I believe so that should be ok either way but I'm just curious if some only work with certain OS's.



Windows will automatically install the needed drivers or it will direct you to a site that has them. Install disks usually have out of date drivers anyway. You could do a quick search for IDE to USB enclosure 3.5" windows 7.
Score
0
July 20, 2011 3:13:20 AM

RussK1 said:
Windows will automatically install the needed drivers or it will direct you to a site that has them. Install disks usually have out of date drivers anyway. You could do a quick search for IDE to USB enclosure 3.5" windows 7.


Yea I was reading FAQ's on the walmart one and people asked if it worked with windows 7 and they said yes it worked fine. I think I'll get this one shipped to my closest walmart store and give it a try and see what happens.

I'm planning on trying to rebuild my PC since I have a laptop and I'm not in a real hurry to get a new desktop, I think it will be an interesting experiment and a good way to learn more about the inner workings of a computer. How long do you think it would take someone like me who's never rebuilt a PC to finish rebuilding the whole thing? I know it depends a lot on the individual and how quick they learn but maybe on average if you had to take a guess.
Score
0
July 20, 2011 9:59:22 AM

cmac813 said:
Yea I was reading FAQ's on the walmart one and people asked if it worked with windows 7 and they said yes it worked fine. I think I'll get this one shipped to my closest walmart store and give it a try and see what happens.

I'm planning on trying to rebuild my PC since I have a laptop and I'm not in a real hurry to get a new desktop, I think it will be an interesting experiment and a good way to learn more about the inner workings of a computer. How long do you think it would take someone like me who's never rebuilt a PC to finish rebuilding the whole thing? I know it depends a lot on the individual and how quick they learn but maybe on average if you had to take a guess.


A few hours... Just make sure you're in a relatively static free environment. Just keep it in your head that static is the quickest killer of components. It's like cyanide to humans. Don't work on carpet and simply ground yourself. Touching the inside of the computers non painted area should suffice. Read the instruction manual that comes with the processor as to applying the thermal interface. Don't use a lot... less = better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMlhL5Sb6ek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLVHFaokdgA
Score
0
July 22, 2011 6:16:50 PM

So I got my hard drive enclosure in the mail and put my hard drive in it and connected it to my laptop but I can't figure out how to actually copy the files. I can see some but not all of my files and when I try to copy them it says I don't have permission and in one case when I tried to take ownership of the file, it was an excel file it said it was encrypted or unreadable or something like that. So how do I actually copy the files to my laptop?

Also is there anyway to copy everything from the hard drive in one step instead of looking through all the files and picking and choosing?
Score
0
July 22, 2011 6:51:51 PM

cmac813 said:
So I got my hard drive enclosure in the mail and put my hard drive in it and connected it to my laptop but I can't figure out how to actually copy the files. I can see some but not all of my files and when I try to copy them it says I don't have permission and in one case when I tried to take ownership of the file, it was an excel file it said it was encrypted or unreadable or something like that. So how do I actually copy the files to my laptop?

Also is there anyway to copy everything from the hard drive in one step instead of looking through all the files and picking and choosing?


Encrypted huh? That sucks... As far as opening up the encrypted files I don't have any idea.... you might be able to use Windows "easy transfer". Also, you do have Office installed on your laptop right(?). If these options don't work you could transfer this particular question to the "storage" section. It also would be a good question to post on the Windows website. They have some good IT professionals and know their stuff... I'll look into it further for you and see what I come up with.

Score
0
July 22, 2011 7:31:43 PM

RussK1 said:
Encrypted huh? That sucks... As far as opening up the encrypted files I don't have any idea.... you might be able to use Windows "easy transfer". Also, you do have Office installed on your laptop right(?). If these options don't work you could transfer this particular question to the "storage" section. It also would be a good question to post on the Windows website. They have some good IT professionals and know their stuff... I'll look into it further for you and see what I come up with.


Thanks for the help. I was able to copy one folder off of it because I added a name called 'everyone' in the groups or user name field under the properties. However when I try to do that for other folders or files it says there is an error in changing the permission. I noticed in the groups and user names there is a list of things you can do and the top one is "full control" which I have checked for the new 'everyone' group however at the bottom there is "special permissions" which isn't possible to be checked, it's faded into the background so you can't click on it. I'll keep looking for a solution and I'll let you know if I solve it, I'm just happy my hard drive still works and didn't get fried.
Score
0
July 22, 2011 7:44:49 PM

cmac813 said:
Thanks for the help. I was able to copy one folder off of it because I added a name called 'everyone' in the groups or user name field under the properties. However when I try to do that for other folders or files it says there is an error in changing the permission. I noticed in the groups and user names there is a list of things you can do and the top one is "full control" which I have checked for the new 'everyone' group however at the bottom there is "special permissions" which isn't possible to be checked, it's faded into the background so you can't click on it. I'll keep looking for a solution and I'll let you know if I solve it, I'm just happy my hard drive still works and didn't get fried.


I'm on the Windows 7 forums asking about it. I'll see what they say.

You opened up the drive under computer, properties, security, users, and checked "full control" and "modify"??

And below that is a tab for advanced where you can change the Special permissions.
Score
0
July 22, 2011 8:31:22 PM

RussK1 said:
I'm on the Windows 7 forums asking about it. I'll see what they say.

You opened up the drive under computer, properties, security, users, and checked "full control" and "modify"??

And below that is a tab for advanced where you can change the Special permissions.


I tried to change the permissions and sometimes it says error occurred while applying security to "insert file here" and sometimes it lets me copy the file/folder and other times the error comes up. I've transferred a couple more files by changing the security on each file because the folders don't allow it. It's taking a while and I'm sure there is a better way but I can't figure it out so I'm at least able to get some.
Score
0
July 22, 2011 8:54:53 PM

I was able to get all the files off of it that I needed right now so it's all good. Thanks for your help again russwood, if I decide to rebuild my PC I'll probably find you and ask more questions, but for now I don't have any so thanks again and have a good one.
Score
0
July 22, 2011 9:04:55 PM

cmac813 said:
I was able to get all the files off of it that I needed right now so it's all good. Thanks for your help again russwood, if I decide to rebuild my PC I'll probably find you and ask more questions, but for now I don't have any so thanks again and have a good one.


Sorry I wasn't able to help you more. Atleast the drive still works so not all is lost. :)  Just send me a PM when you need more help.

Have Fun!

Russ


PS - you saved yourself a lot of money, you could've taken it to Best Buy and they would've raped your wallet.
Score
0
July 22, 2011 9:34:39 PM

RussK1 said:
Sorry I wasn't able to help you more. Atleast the drive still works so not all is lost. :)  Just send me a PM when you need more help.

Have Fun!

Russ


PS - you saved yourself a lot of money, you could've taken it to Best Buy and they would've raped your wallet.


I am so glad I didn't go to Best Buy. $20 item from walmart vs $80 diagnostic or $100 file transfer at BB, unreal.
Score
0
July 22, 2011 9:53:50 PM

cmac813 said:
I am so glad I didn't go to Best Buy. $20 item from walmart vs $80 diagnostic or $100 file transfer at BB, unreal.


The only time I use Best Buy is when I'm in dire need of something and can't wait. And I'm saying this from a perspective of a Premier Silver member. Sometimes Best Buy has good deals but for the most part they charge 50% more than what you get something for from Newegg, MicroCenter, CompUSA or Amazon. Yeah it's a joke and half the time they have no clue what's going on...

Take Care,

Russ
Score
0
July 23, 2011 12:44:27 AM

Best answer selected by cmac813.
Score
0
a b ) Power supply
July 23, 2011 12:46:25 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0