Best processor for an older motherboard?

Hello all. I have a quick question regarding which processor "upgrade" would be best. i currently have a Pentium 4 630 and i know that the best Processors availible for my motherboard would either be the Pentium 4 670 or the Pentium D 840. Which one would i go about choosing? i plan on doing some mild gaming, and some work with Fl studio. If you need more info, i will be happy to provide it. Thank you ahead of time.
5 answers Last reply
More about best processor older motherboard
  1. your current CPU is socket 775, so any other socket 775 CPU would fit into your current motherboard as well. but you should check with your motherboard's QVL first!
  2. Wow, the problem with this is the your are using the old netbrust based processors (Intel® Pentium® 4 and Intel Pentium D). Which motherboard do you have? Moving up to the Intel Core® 2 Duo would be a major upgrade for you but if the motherboard that is at least a 945 chipset based board this is a chance that we can get you moved up into a much better processor.

Christian Wood
    Intel Enthusiast Team
  3. hmm if your talking about what processor the motherboard can handle, http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/S5000_Series/1008577/1008577sp4.shtml is the apparent specs of the computer. however, when i read the information on the specific part number of the board on gateway, it states that a 1067 fsb processor is supported... Im very lost here ^_^
  4. It seems to be an intel 945g chipset, if that helps
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Pentium Processors Motherboards