What is a btx power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

martyret

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Is there ANY difference between an ATX and a BTX 700 watt power supply as used in Gateway computers? Can you test the BTX power supply by shorting pins 15 and 16 to see if it is any good?

Solution
I disagree. That may well be the case on the PSU in question, and also many older ones, but it is not the case on a lot of modern ones. Also, some PSUs specify the loading required on each rail, and often it is required on the +12 V rail and no others.

martyret

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

Thanks for replies. This is a Delta 700 watt power supply. Sounds like BTX is same as ATX electronically. So is the following a valid test of the power supply when it is completely out of the computer?
Short pins 15 and 16 of the 24-pin plug and connect it to AC power.

When I do this, fan does not start and the only voltage I get is the 5V standby voltage at pin 9.

Tested the original power supply and a used, supposedly "fully tested" one with the exact same results.

Trying to verify this test procedure before spending $150 on a new power supply.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
That is a valid test – shorting the green wire to any black wire. The fan should start, and the other voltages should be around their normal levels. If not, it is probably faulty (although it could simply be under-load protection).

When doing the power supply start up test it is a good idea to connect a load across the 5V line. I use a spare hard drive for this purpose. Although a power supply should work without a load I have found that without a load some power supplies have start up issues.

Well, according to Scott Mueller in the book Upgrading and Repairing PCs, they require a load on at least the +12 V rail(s).

Although it is not a bad idea to put a load on the 12v rail as well, it is not as important as loading the 5v rail. The reason for this is that the 12 rail is not directly regulated and that it gets its regulation by virtue of its ratio to the 5v rail. If the 5v rail has no or little load the voltage of the 12v rail can be out of specification..

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I disagree. That may well be the case on the PSU in question, and also many older ones, but it is not the case on a lot of modern ones. Also, some PSUs specify the loading required on each rail, and often it is required on the +12 V rail and no others.

Solution

martyret

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

Thanks to you and pjmelect for great input. I think I’m sitting here with two bad power supplies.
Tested with a hard drive as a load. Nothing. Didn’t quite know how to get the 12v load so I installed the power supply in the computer and connected all the plugs except the 24-pin plug. Shorted pins 15 and 16. Still got nothing.
Get a reading of 5 volts at pin 9. Get a reading of 4.6 volts at pin 16 before shorting it out. Nothing else.
The only sign of life is that if I short pins15 and 16 after the power supply is plugged in, the case fan starts for a split second.
Tested both power supplies with same results.
Thanks much for everybody’s input. Guess I didn’t do much to resolve whether you need a 5 volt or 12 volt load, or both, to get a good test.

Status
Not open for further replies.