dim/flickering LCD

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 29, 2005 4:57:52 AM

Hi everyone. I'm hoping that someone can help me with a question I have. I
have this Thinkpad and when I start it up the screen is slightly dimmer than
normal. However, after being on for a bit, the screen gets brighter. The
dimness is mostly on the left side of the screen. Also the screen
periodically flickers (normal to dim). I have a bad feeling about this.
Someone please give me a little insight. : \

More about : dim flickering lcd

April 29, 2005 12:20:24 PM

Hello. It's a little hard to tell with any certainty which
malfunctioning part you've got, but my money is on the inverter. If the
inverter isn't putting out enough power, the fluorescent tube that
lights the display won't arc entirely. The lamp could also be broken,
but I'd try to replace the inverter first. If you've still got the same
problem then it's the lamp that needs to be replaced.

You can maybe find the inverter through google, and the lamps through
Digi-Key or Mouser Electronics. What model is the thinkpad? You might
be able to find the right lamp here: http://www.jkllamps.com/laptop.cfm
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 1, 2005 4:07:33 AM

What you describe is normal. The light output of the flourescent lamps
used as the backlight is VERY sensitive to the lamp temperature, and can
double with a temperature increase of only ten degrees or so (the eye
won't perceive it as doubling, but a light meter will show that to be
the case). Conseuently you will normally take 1 to 3 minutes to reach
full brightness. This is seen also in scanners, many of which
"pre-heat" the lamp or have a lamp warm-up cycle before they will scan.
Even in our bathroom, where I have a "compact flourescent" replacement
for a 75 watt incandescent bulb, the brightness increase over the 1st
couple of minutes of operation is very noticeable.

On the other hand, not being able to see what you are describing,
something abnormal might be going on, and, certainly, the flickering
isn't normal. There may also be some kind of "power saving" going on,
many notebooks run at reduced brightness to extend battery life.

!