Wifi configuration messed up

G

Hello,

I recently formatted my HD on my laptop. After re-installing XP and doing Windows Update, etc, the Wifi configuration on my Broadcom WLAN card will not show the previously used WPA-TKIP config. I have downloaded every conceivable driver for the Broadcom but to no avail. It only shows WEP and says my 16 digit encryption code is too large (it's will only accept ASCII (13 digits) or Hexadecimal (40 digits). I'm at wit's end. Any suggestions?

G

Sounds like you maybe don't have the wireless utility for the Broadcom or it isn't loaded and you have allowed Windows to manage the connection -- and the Windows version hasn't been updated to Service Pack 2 or later which has modern wireless security settings.

Until you sort it out you may have to run without wireless security. Instead apply Access List (filter by MAC ID) in the router -- it's not perfect but if may keep the riff-raff at bay for the time being.

G

Sounds like you maybe don't have the wireless utility for the Broadcom or it isn't loaded and you have allowed Windows to manage the connection -- and the Windows version hasn't been updated to Service Pack 2 or later which has modern wireless security settings.

Until you sort it out you may have to run without wireless security. Instead apply Access List (filter by MAC ID) in the router -- it's not perfect but if may keep the riff-raff at bay for the time being.

----Thanks for the 411. Actually, Service pack 3 is already installed. That's why I'm at a complete brain block. I admit that I'm a bit of a novice. How would I find the Broadcom wireless utility (I gather this is different from a device driver?).

Thanks again.

Rick

G

The utility may be included with the driver but you won't be able to access it if you have ticked the box in Windows Networking that says "Let Windows Manage This Connection".

G

The utility may be included with the driver but you won't be able to access it if you have ticked the box in Windows Networking that says "Let Windows Manage This Connection".

Ok. Thank you very much. Eventually I'll get this squared away.
Rick

TRENDING THREADS