ransom

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Hello,

So I'm looking at the i-7 , and I know it is great for gaming but is good for HD editing? I do animation and film editing and I'm wondering if this will be good to handle RED 4k footage. It would be replacing my 5 y/o c2d processor which has been a real work horse. So for a round 300 for processor how much am I looking to spend in total to get a bare-bones up and running. I have HD-s and a GPU. I have 4 gb of RAM that I could cannibalize, but is that some thing that I should upgrade as well?

Also since I do game as well, can I run an open GL gpu and a gaming card on the same rig with out any problems?

TL;DR How much for an i-7 2600k cpu mobo with USB 3.0 and a case. and any recommendations?

If you do animation, you probably prefer stability over overclocking the cpu. I would choose a less expensive cpu if that's the case. Fry's had the 2400 for $149.99 last week in stores only. It won't overclock as well, but it's much cheaper than the 2600K. For the case, consider an htpc that sits flat if space is tight. I like mine; it only has one 120mm fan moving across the board left to right. For regular cases, antec makes two 300 series for around $60 at newegg. For the power supply, 600w should do it, and again, I recommend antec for performance and value. For ram, another 8 gb won't hurt for around $60. Use the same brand, voltage, and timings. If your old ram is slower, I would sell it and get a 4x4 gb matched set. Newegg had some 1600 corsair for $119 today.

I'd have to argue that an OC 2600k is still as stable as a stock 2400. But even an i5 is a big step up from a c2d. If you live by a microcenter they always have in store deals: 2500k for 180 and 2600k for 280 plus the savings from their mobo combos. Your ram is probably ddr2 so I'd suspect you'd need new ram. The antec 300, haf 912, or rosewill challenger are good inexpensive cases. You could probably reuse your psu if you're reusing the gpu. There are some inexpensive p67/z68 mobos for ~$100-120 from msi and gigabyte.

If you're not too serious about gaming, workstation cards can still handle games decently, I've done it before. i5, 8gb, mobo, case, psu for ~$6-700 seems about right.

daship

Distinguished
Yup 2600k is great for video editing. If your Ram is DDR2 it will be useless. I just built a rig with a 2600k overclocked to 4.5 and it is a beast video editing/encoding. I run Windows 7 ans OSx Snow Leopard on my system. Can't wait for Lion to come out this month.

wormy

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
From everything I have seen if you are able to use Sandy Bridge's QuickSync it blows everything else out of the water and then some. The only true advantage I can see X58 having over SB is that X58 has more PCIe lanes. If you dont need them then X58 is a dead platform. I havent heard of the AMD 6 core CPUs being faster that Sandy Bridge. I thought thats what we all were hoping Bulldozer would be just to keep intel honest.

I'm not trying to steer you away from the 2600K, but bang for the buck is much better for the 2400. For the board, both the z68 and p67 boards start at around $100, since newegg got in a new ecs board today. It's not an enthusiast board, but has alot of features for the money. I've used gigabyte, biostar, and foxconn boards lately. Of those 3, gigabyte will win the most votes. I recommend the gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 for $129.99 at newegg. Only thing I don't like is the ninety degree sata ports; install the sata cables before sliding the board in the case, since some boards are a tight fit.

dont buy cheap rubbish mothetboards

stick with ASUS or Gigabyte

the i7 with its hyperthreading pays off for video editing, if you got the $$$ go for it

quicksync if your software supports it will make a difference

X58 platform is nearly dead

MSI motherboard.... DONT DO IT

ransom

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Thanks for the awesome responses. I'm a bit confused on the pluses and minuses of x58 and sandy bridge. SB is newer? but x58 is more threads? Is there an article that lays out the differences? It seems like a waste to go to x58 if SB is newer tech and quick-sync looks very cool, but i don't think it applies that much to what i'm doing.

I'm still leaning towards the 2600k but it is it worth it if I don't plan on OC-ing too much, maybe a little, but stability is more important to me. Also I might as well get new ram, and case and psu.

Also, if I went with an I5-2500 32nm sandy bridge, would that use the same Mobo, and could I upgrade to a I-7 later? I mean I don't think I would do that but it is nice to have options.

Thanks again.

Both SB and Bloomfield i7 are 4c/8t. X58 has tri channel ram and the mobos have 6 slots which will mean more ram than sb which only 4 slots. Both builds would come out to around the same price, but sb being the newer architecture is better performance, OC better, so is the one I'd suggest. The SB i5 and i7 both use the same mobo and are also supposed to be compatible with the future ivy bridge.

Specifically what programs do you use?

Well, X58 does have 6c/12t chips, but they are quite a bit more expensive and not really what you need. If you aren't getting a 6c/12t X58 and don't need 24GB of ram soon (vs 16GB), I see no reason to get X58. So I would recommend looking at and choosing between the Sandybridge chips.

ransom

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I'm pretty sold on the SB, and I'm already pricing out a machine. I just remembered that it is tax deductible too. Which is huge plus.

I'm running adobe suite, Premier Pro, Heavy Aftereffects works, Cinema 4d and Maya/ Max.

I'd like to be able to position myself to edit RED footage. I was already editing HD-DSLR footage on my old machine so I'm not worried about that. Although, the performance boost will be nice.

This is what I'm looking at atm:

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811129042
$59.45

Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817371016
$64.99
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
Item #: N82E16820233144

$74.99

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813131730

$209.99
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
Item #: N82E16819115070

Total is 724.41 - i figure with this combo they say OC-ing is pretty easy so I may just do a very slight OC to something near 4.0 ghz. Is air cooling going to be sufficient and has intel improved their stock heat sink fans, or will I need to get a new an after market one?

What do you guys think, any differences? What do you think of the ram and mobo?

All the prices are from new egg.

I don't see anything wrong with the MB. I just got an Asus board, they do a good job.

I like the 1.5V ram. I haven't had corsair for a while (went over to GSkill), but they should be fine. Heatsinks are a little tall for my tastes.

Consider the Antec 300 Illusion too. I have two of them. Illusion is the same but it adds 2 front fans. I got it when it was on sale for $55 + free ship.

Unfortunately I don't have a SB, so I can't comment on the stock cooling solution. I always got aftermarket coolers, as you can see in my signature.