Solved

EMachines T5234 powers off during boot

Hello, my eMachines T5234 desktop computer powers off during windows boot. It does not initiate the shutdown procedure. It simply turns off about 3 seconds into the operating system boot. This happens approximately 75% of the time. If the system boots successfully into Windows, it will remain on indefinitely. It is running Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium x32. Also, when booted into BIOS it will remain on indefinitely.

The eMachines T5234 desktop contains all of its original hardware, and no hardware has been added.
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+
- ECS Elitegroup HT2000 MCP61PM-AM Revision 1.0A Motherboard
- DVD±RW
- 320GB Hard Drive
- 2x 512MB Kingston DDR3
- 15-in-One memory card reader
- PCI Wireless NIC
- PCI 56k modem

LAN, Audio, and Video are on-board

I have tried:
- Scanning hard drive for bad sectors
- Scanning hard drive for viruses and malware
- Replacing power supply
- Checking for overheat (system is not overheating)
- Checking CPU fan to make sure it's spinning
- Cleaning CPU heat sink of dust and debris
- Booting to BIOS (problem does not occur in BIOS, left in BIOS overnight and system was still on in the morning)

I am not much of a computer techie so if anyone could offer ideas on what to try next I would be quite grateful! Also, if I did not provide enough information, please just ask and I will provide it. Thanks for any help you can offer!
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about emachines t5234 powers boot
  1. Best answer
    I would suggest booting from your windows DVD and attempting to do a 'repair disk' as it sounds like there might just be file corruption.
  2. Best answer selected by ECHOSIDE.
  3. I hope that fixed it
  4. I have the same problem, I also try to install a fresh copy of windows on a new hard drive,
    and when the system try to write files to the Hard drive it powers off , same thing happen in XP , win-7 ,
    so this is not a windows problem!!!

somebody help me please....
    thanx
  5. I too was having the same issue with one of my family members same emachines t5234 desktop. After doing a fresh install and seeing the same exact thing happen(random power off on startup, allowing me to actually log in maybe 1/5 times) I declared it was a hardware issue.

After doing some research, I found some bad reviews on the stock motherboard( http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/emachines-t5234/4505-3118_7-32655761.html ). So I figured before I recommend going out and buying a new computer, that we could try to get a new motherboard instead. And viola! Typing this on the emachine right now with the new motherboard.

Went with a MSI Mainboard K9N6PGM2 on newegg for about $50 + shipping. ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130241 ) Although the board is a 24 pin and the stock powersupply carries only a 20pin, it seems to work fine so far.

Anywho, either go buy a new pc that isnt emachines(cheapest parts they can find go into their computers, obviously) or swap out the motherboard. Boy is it nice having a cd that does ALL of your xp drivers at once!
  6. reeper_sniper said:
    I too was having the same issue with one of my family members same emachines t5234 desktop. After doing a fresh install and seeing the same exact thing happen(random power off on startup, allowing me to actually log in maybe 1/5 times) I declared it was a hardware issue.

After doing some research, I found some bad reviews on the stock motherboard( http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/emachines-t5234/4505-3118_7-32655761.html ). So I figured before I recommend going out and buying a new computer, that we could try to get a new motherboard instead. And viola! Typing this on the emachine right now with the new motherboard.

Went with a MSI Mainboard K9N6PGM2 on newegg for about $50 + shipping. ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130241 ) Although the board is a 24 pin and the stock powersupply carries only a 20pin, it seems to work fine so far.

Anywho, either go buy a new pc that isnt emachines(cheapest parts they can find go into their computers, obviously) or swap out the motherboard. Boy is it nice having a cd that does ALL of your xp drivers at once!

Were you able to use the same CPU and ram in the new mobo(K9N6PGM2)? I'm looking at my sister-in-laws PC and it has the same problem also a T5234.
Ask a new question

Read More

Prebuilt Boot eMachines Systems Product