I've run into a problem putting my computer together.

emanresuym

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
I've gotten the CPU and the CPU Heatsink Fan attatched to the motherboard and now I've been trying to put it into the case. However I've run into a tiny size difficulty trying to place this metal I/O piece that came with the motherboard into the computer case.

It seems the case allows for one more USB port than my motherboard which is getting in the way of placing the piece inside because of the latch on the inside.

Is a safe route to remove this tiny metal obstacle or to bend it in some way?

imaurer269

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Feel free to bend it out of the way or snip it. I had a fit the first time I built a PC with the damn shield too. A lot of those shields are meant to fit a few different mobos so sometimes bending or removing tabs is necessary.

The back panel shield comes with the motherboard so that the particular layout of the rear connections will all line up. Do not use the one that came with the case.
The shield is a standard size and should fit the opening in your case without having to mod it.

It is a press fitting, and you need to get all 4 sides of the shield firmly into the grooves of the case opening..

When you install the motherboard, you may have to press the motherboard back into the shield. Simetimes there are some spring like tabs that insure a grounded connection. Do not bend them the wrong way. All of this is best accomplished if you happen to have three hands(or a helper) One to hold the case firmly, another to push the motherboard back against the shield, and a third to place the first screw into the motherboard. I find it most helpful to use a 8" #2 phillips head screwdriver with a magnetic tip.