Replace motherboard and memory

Nover

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
I have this computer:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz overclocked to 2.8ghz
2 x 2gb DDR2 ram 1066mhz (Motherboard underclocked to 800mhz then I overclocked it to 900mhz)
Gigabyte ATI HD6850 OC
Nvidia 630i Motherboard
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

2 weeks ago my cheap power supply burst into flames but it didn't damage any parts besides the power supply obviously. The motherboard looks a little burnt but it still all runs fine once I replaced the power supply. Because the motherboard looked a little burnt I thought it may die quicker so I bought a Asus P5G41T-M Motherboard and 2 x 4gb G-Skill DDR3 1600mhz ram (thought I might as well upgrade while I was replacing the motherboard).

I took out the old motherboard and memory and put in the new motherboard, memory and power supply, started it up and the windows logo came up for a couple of seconds and then it restarted and kept doing the exact same thing over and over. I tried starting it up in safe mode but the exact same thing happened. I tried doing a windows repair a few times but nothing was wrong. So then I changed it all back to the old MB and ram and started fine. I tried to install the drivers for the MB but it wouldn't let me because it didn't match any of the components being used, I uninstalled the Nvidia MB drivers and still wouldn't let me install the drivers. So I made a backup of everything and made a windows recovery disc.
So then I did it all again and put the new parts in started up and failed again, then I tried the recovery disc and that came up with an option to load drivers and I tried to of the Asus disc and of my usb stick with the asus drivers on it and both just said "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware."

Has anyone else had this problem or a similar problem?
I'm pretty sure all I need to do is install the Asus driver but I'm not sure of any other way of doing that.

What else could I try?

Solution
Windows won't load when you change motherboards. You have to backup your old files then format the drive after changing to the new board.

Suave145

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Could be drivers issues, just try to back it up, if you can atleast reload windows 7 or reinstall it and ^ you'll have a windows.old folder with your old stuff in it, if you're willing to take that chance.

-Install a linux os (recommending Knoppix v6.7) < only 696mb easy enough to load on from a cd also or onto your flash drive and run off that and try to recover what ever you can onto another Hard drive device.