Help!!!

kmelaza

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
For the past couple of days my CPU has been exhibiting some strange behavior. My CPU usage goes from a normal 1-10% to 100% and back and forth. This wont let me open any applications, and if it does they wont work properly, also any prior open applications wont function properly when this happens. I ran a hardware check on my whole pc, and it tells me the components are running fine, i also ran a virus check, my pc is clean, i don't know what else to do. This keeps happening every day at random, and shutting down and restarting my pc doesn't seem to work.

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 820 2.8ghz

My Desktop is a HP Pavilion p6404y Desktop PC

Solution
Check your connections. Make sure everything is connected properly and securely. Also check the heatsink on the CPU. Make sure it is sitting properly.
Open task manager and see which process is causing such dynamic load outs. Track down the program related to that process and uninstall it. Also check your anti-virus software behavior. Some security programs can really turn out to be system hogs.

kmelaza

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010

I did what you told me, and i monitord the proces while the CPU was running normally and while it went rampart. While running normally i saw that the System Idle Process was running with a CPU load of 80-90+, then when the CPU went rampart it started going back and forth, along with some other proces. The other proces that run crazy along with the 1 i mention vary every time the CPU starts acting crazy. I was a fraid that if i ended that proces my system could freze or something, but it would't let me end it. What now? I dont want to waste money on a new procesor if this can be fixed

kmelaza

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010

I havent been going to wierd places for the past couple of days before and when this started and i havent downloaded anything also. I spended my time on you tube or playing games on steam. I did this, nothing. Could it be my motherboard?, but then again if it was the rest of my components should't be functioning properly.

kmelaza

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
This is frustrating the hell out of me, it's happening more constantly, i don't want to waste money on a new processor if it happens to be my motherboard causing this :/

kmelaza

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010

I went to the store, bought some Artic Silver 5 Thermal Compound, Coffe Filters and some Rubbing Alchohol 87%. I removed the heatsink from the CPU clean both of them and applied a new coat of thermal compound, but to no avail as this keeps happening. :/

kmelaza

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
UPDATE:

It seems a day after i removed the thermal compound from the Heat sink and CPU, and applied a new coat, the CPU started working properly again. That might have done the trick, my PC went trough a regular day of usage which is about 8-12 hours and the CPU it dint go crazy. I only saw 2 instances of 1-5 secs in the whole day when it acted a little strange reloading a web page a couple of times by it self when i dint tell my browser to do it (This was 1 of the side effects of the CPU going crazy, constantly reloading the web pages i had open or not loading at all).

Seems all it needed was a fresh coat of thermal compound, since my pc was going for a year of usage since i bought it brand new, and i hadn't replaced the thermal compound.

New Question

How often should i change the thermal compound on my CPU/GPU?