Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Closed

Upgrading Motherboard

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Graphics Cards
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
March 24, 2012 10:18:36 AM

Hello, my name is Pietie
I've recently purchased a Samsung SA950 27" monitor. This allows me to game in HD and also 3D! :D  The HD part works great with my graphics card able to handle most games with full settings(excluding AA). However, when I try using 3D with the provided software, instead of 3D conversion by the monitor, the graphics card is unable to cope. I'm planning to upgrade my hardware some. I currently have a Foxconn motherboard( not sure exactly what model but i do know it has too few USB ports for my needs and I and no extra PCIe slots.) An Ati Radeon HD4770 with 512Mb of memory, 2Gb of RAM, and an Intel Core 2 Duo(E4600@2.4 Ghz). I'm also using Windows XP because I haven't had time to upgrade yet so I'm stuck with Dx9. I'm planning to get a new motherboard and maybe even a graphics card to have Crossfire. I'm also considering buying a new CPU. I was budgeting about $200 on a motherboard and about $120 on a graphics card and maybe also $200 on a CPU. What are your recommendations? Bear in mind that I might only be able to buy the parts piece for piece e.g. first buying a motherboard then GPU then CPU. Would the motherboard be compatible with my current CPU as well as Intel's new CPU's? (I'll definitely will be buying Intel) Your help would be much appreciated thanks!!! :) 

More about : upgrading motherboard

a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
March 24, 2012 11:13:41 AM

You may want to wait a bit save your $$ and get a New motherboard/CPU/RAM all at once and the get a new video card later. a new CPU will not fit in your old motherboard... you most likely are using DDR2 and the new board will be DDR3.
Score
0

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
March 24, 2012 12:12:40 PM

bigbasedrum said:
Hello, my name is Pietie
I've recently purchased a Samsung SA950 27" monitor. This allows me to game in HD and also 3D! :D  The HD part works great with my graphics card able to handle most games with full settings(excluding AA). However, when I try using 3D with the provided software, instead of 3D conversion by the monitor, the graphics card is unable to cope. I'm planning to upgrade my hardware some. I currently have a Foxconn motherboard( not sure exactly what model but i do know it has too few USB ports for my needs and I and no extra PCIe slots.) An Ati Radeon HD4770 with 512Mb of memory, 2Gb of RAM, and an Intel Core 2 Duo(E4600@2.4 Ghz). I'm also using Windows XP because I haven't had time to upgrade yet so I'm stuck with Dx9. I'm planning to get a new motherboard and maybe even a graphics card to have Crossfire. I'm also considering buying a new CPU. I was budgeting about $200 on a motherboard and about $120 on a graphics card and maybe also $200 on a CPU. What are your recommendations? Bear in mind that I might only be able to buy the parts piece for piece e.g. first buying a motherboard then GPU then CPU. Would the motherboard be compatible with my current CPU as well as Intel's new CPU's? (I'll definitely will be buying Intel) Your help would be much appreciated thanks!!! :) 



When you upgrade the MB, it is most likely you have to upgrade also the following components: For MB I suggest a Z68 chipset LGA 1155 socket(a lot of them to choose from)
CPU--I recoomend i5 2500K (Best gaming CPU in the market today)
RAM--8 GB G-skill ripjaws X-series 1600MHz DDR3
GPU--HD Radeon 7870 (Just released last week)
OS--Win 7 Home Premium OEM(Cheaper than retail version)
Share
Related resources
March 24, 2012 3:04:52 PM

@ anonymous...thanx for the advice I will do that. What would be your recommendations when i do upgrade(considering my budget)
@aqe..That sounds really great but would it fit my budget?
Score
0
March 24, 2012 4:06:58 PM

@anonymous..when u said my board is probably DDR2. Did you u mean my RAM? Also I know this is a bit off topic, but is there anyway I could find out exactly what motherboard i have like you know running a sort of dxdiag?
Score
0
a b V Motherboard
March 24, 2012 7:48:03 PM

bigbasedrum said:
@ anonymous...thanx for the advice I will do that. What would be your recommendations when i do upgrade(considering my budget)
@aqe..That sounds really great but would it fit my budget?



$200.00 dollar upgrade is not enough. I mean I'm not telling you to buy everything on the list at a time, I mean one by one, if you got budet for MB, then for the CPU and then the rest. It would be like $400.00 to $500.00. You can still use the old PSU, Case, HDD
Score
0
March 25, 2012 12:24:37 PM

I'm thinking about buying a prebuilt rig as then i know it'll work and i found one for a reasonably good price. Here are the specs:
Corsair 500CX Builder Series 80+
Intel core i5-2,400(3.10GHz,6M Cache,4 cores)
Standard Heatsink & Cpu fan
MSI Z68MA-G45 Z68 Chipset SATA3 6.0GB/s USB 3.0
Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
AMD Radeon HD7770 1GB 128bit DDR5
Integrated 8 channel HD Audio
500GB Seagate 7200rpm SATA3 6.0GB/s HDD
24x Dual LAyer DVD +/- writer
Gigabit network card.
The complete package cost R8,199(South African Rand)($1,060). I'm planning on buying it from Evetech computers.
Good rig/bad rig? any changes I should make? Also is it a good site with a good reputation?
Score
0
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
March 25, 2012 12:48:43 PM

bigbasedrum said:
@anonymous..when u said my board is probably DDR2. Did you u mean my RAM? Also I know this is a bit off topic, but is there anyway I could find out exactly what motherboard i have like you know running a sort of dxdiag?

Download & run CPU-Z. It will tell you all you need to know! :D 
Score
0
March 25, 2012 12:58:18 PM

thanx clark will do :) 
Score
0
June 8, 2012 9:00:09 PM

Best answer selected by bigbasedrum.
Score
0
a c 331 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2012 10:37:47 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
0