New Build Turns On, Shuts Off After A Few Seconds

Sinstrus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Hey everyone,

I just recently spent a long time assembling a new build (motherboard finally arrived today).

ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157229

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072&cm_re=i5_2500k-_-19-115-072-_-Product

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428&cm_re=G_skill_ripjaws_ddr3_1600-_-20-231-428-_-Product

PNY XLR8 VCGGTX4601XPB-OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) OC 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133326&Tpk=PNY%20GTX%20460

Thermaltake TR2 W0388RU 600W ATX 12V v2.2 Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153114&cm_re=Thermaltake_600W-_-17-153-114-_-Product

As the title says, the build powers up for a few seconds, chassis fans all spinning, chassis LED blinks, CPU heatsink fan spins, Dr. Debug displays, and then it just shuts off completely.

I've made sure that my RAM is in the correct slots and that the motherboard is powered by both the 24Pin and the 8pin connectors. GTX 460 is connected to power. I've also made sure the heatsink is snug on the CPU, and nothing seems amiss with the thermal fluid. I've tried disconnecting everything except the motherboard and HDD. Same result. Then everything except the MOBO. Turns off after a few seconds same as before.

I'm really at a loss. Am I doin' it wrong?

Sinstrus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

wato69

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
It may be that there is a short somewhere in the system...best advice i can give you is to completely dis-assemble and re-assemble your (prime rig BTW) carefully, making sure that you have all your rubber washers on the screws that fasten the MB to the case and no bits of metal or wires are touching the motherbaord AT ALL...also make sure all your cards and ram is seated properly......the slots that they are in shouldnt matter to much but if they arent in correctly then this could be causing the short....if this does not work then it is a system error.....requiring possibly a clean install of windows.....hope this helps bud. one last thing - try changing around the sata cables to different connectors on the board. good luck

Sinstrus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

I'm reasonably certain my PSU isn't bad. It's only a couple of months old, and it was working fine in my other desktop only about a week ago before I removed it.

Yeah I tried it with just one stick of RAM and CPU, all other components disconnected. It still shut off after about 3 seconds...

Sinstrus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Rubber washers on the screws? I didn't receive any things like that in the MOBO package. There are silver rings around each screw-hole though. I would assume they serve the same function.

And it can't be a Windows problem. It has done this since the first time I tried turning on the system once it was assembled. Never even have had a chance to install Windows.

wato69

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
the washers are mainly for anti vibration and anti movement...so if you havent got them on the mother board then the motherboard may not be efficently grounded at one of the screws properly. if the mother board is not ground efficiently then at one stage or another on the mobo the electricity may go straight through one of these screws and could seriously damage componets. the main contact is the small gold screw thingy underneath each hole...it contacts the mobo to the metal of the case to completely ground the mobo. its strange you werent given any washers to go with the screws. you should probs contact the mobo manufacturer and just look into it...also check you mobo pack for the rubber washer....they should be there...but if not then you should contact either the place you bought the mobo or the manufacturer. im not saying this will work.....but its a possibity...also check to make sure gold screw thingys are firmly fastened to mobo. if the electricity or system isnt to blame then one of the componetes or the mobo itself has become faulty. if mobo is faulty then you'll need to purchase a new one unfortunately

Sinstrus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Hey, so it turns out I actually secured the motherboard to the case incorrectly. :sweat: I totally missed the gold screws that lift the motherboard off the case.

I did a quick fix and like magic everything starts working. Already got Windows 7 installed. I'm pretty impressed at how fast this thing is. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

wato69

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
ahahah yeah sorry about the "gold screw thingies" i forget somtimes that they to have a name in which to identify them ahahaha. but good too see all is well...it is ever so important to use the standoffs to ground the mobo...its an error everyone will make at one stage or another.