How to turn off USB ports when computer is shut down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

after googling around and looking to configure the gigabyte on/off technology and not finding anything . . simple solution: just turn off the power at the PSU. (the switch where the power cord is at in the back)

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
If you are running Windows 7 the USB ports can be powered down using Selective Suspend.
Start > Control Panel > Power Options (if not visible change view to Large Icons at top right) > Change Plan Settings (for whatever plan you want) > Change Advanced Power Settings > Change settings that are currently unavailable > Set USB selective suspend setting to Disabled under USB settings and then click OK to save the changes.
You may have to reboot.

G

ok then MAYBE your motherboard keeps the power on by default.

as i posted before, you can reach behind the computer and turn off the PSU at the switch. but i really doubt it is hurting anything with the power on, its only 5 volts.

Madblaster6

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
Took me ages to figure this out. I have a gigabyte g1 assassin. I returned a lot of headsets because of this issue. All you have to do is go into the motherboard bios and under power management find ErP settings. Enable that. Basically it shuts off usbcharge.

johnniedoo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
It is fine to turn off Erp but then you disable any Wake on lan capacity. so cant turn on computer from another computer in lan.. if data is stored on one computer drive i can turn the computer off until i need access to that drive and wake it from my other wired (or some wifi) computers /laptops. but with ErP disabled, I can not use the wake on lan. but, the drive i have data stored on is on the sata/usb port i cant get to turn off on this board (890FXA UD5) due to the charge app when off app. so my esata drive is on all the time.
there are other things to do, but i have the catch 22 type issue with this.

fwupow

Distinguished
May 30, 2008

I just want to supply the answer for the ASUS M4A89GTD Pro users out there.

1. There is no jumper on the Mobo to do this.
2. There IS a BIOS setting
3. ASUS couched the solution in riddle.

1. Power up or restart the PC and repeatedly press the DELete key to go into the BIOS settings.
2. Use right arrow key to move to the POWER tab
3. Arrow down to the menu item "APM Configuration"
4. Look for "EUP Ready" and "enable" it.
5. Save and EXIT.

"EUP" stands for "Energy Using Products" and apparently when English is your 2nd language, you think that "enabling" the readiness of Energy Using Products is how to shut them off. #FacePalm

Anyhow, by "enabling" which actually disables, you'll no longer have power going to the USB ports when the computer is shutdown, You will also lose the ability to trigger power-up or wake states by pressing keys on your keyboard or from the phone ringing to your modem or mouse movement or any sort of peripheral activity, near as I can tell.

AnimalsArentFood

Distinguished
May 10, 2010

If your motherboard has a CMOS battery, that can drain it pretty fast.

Oct 9, 2018

I was having the exact same problem. After a lot of search I found an option in bios called Deep Sleep. That was disabled so I enabled it and it was successful. My external HDD and my speakers are not still on after I shutdown my pc. I have an Asrock Z370 m/b but maybe yours has also this feature. It was under the chipset configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.