Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Thermal Compound

Last response: in CPUs
July 16, 2011 5:49:58 AM

I've searched the net far and wide about this question, and no one seems to have a legitimate answer. The question is this, "what is the danger of applying to much/little thermal compound?" I have i7 quad and using IC Diamonds, I've applied about a grain of rice size on all four corners and one in the middle and then put my heat sync back on. Is that the correct amount?

More about : thermal compound

July 16, 2011 5:52:11 AM

I read the AS5 guide, and it said to only put a grain of rice size of paste in the middle of the CPU only, then to put the heatsink onto the CPU flat, then twist it side to side. Imo, it does seem like a small amount, but I would like to know as well the dangers of too little or much. I imagine it would only affect heating though, in a sense that you'll get more heat if you apply too much or little...
Score
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2011 6:08:59 AM

Espionage724 said:
I read the AS5 guide, and it said to only put a grain of rice size of paste in the middle of the CPU only, then to put the heatsink onto the CPU flat, then twist it side to side. Imo, it does seem like a small amount, but I would like to know as well the dangers of too little or much. I imagine it would only affect heating though, in a sense that you'll get more heat if you apply too much or little...

+1, you should be dandy
Score
Related resources
a c 139 à CPUs
July 16, 2011 6:47:59 AM

is relative depending on the CPU cooler as well, applying thermal paste is not true then that will heat you get, and if this does not immediately fixed properly then over time will decrease lifetime cpu.
Score
a b à CPUs
July 16, 2011 10:53:43 AM

henydiah said:
is relative depending on the CPU cooler as well, applying thermal paste is not true then that will heat you get, and if this does not immediately dipernbaiki properly then over time will age faster proci short.

KEH ??
Score
a c 139 à CPUs
July 16, 2011 11:08:39 AM

Sorry , missing something , I means repair
Score
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 5:04:03 PM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Score
a b à CPUs
January 29, 2012 5:04:06 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score

Best solution

a c 103 à CPUs
January 29, 2012 5:43:40 PM

CandleJack said:
I've searched the net far and wide about this question, and no one seems to have a legitimate answer. The question is this, "what is the danger of applying to much/little thermal compound?" I have i7 quad and using IC Diamonds, I've applied about a grain of rice size on all four corners and one in the middle and then put my heat sync back on. Is that the correct amount?

IC Diamond is a very thick thermal compound there are specific application instructions for it, and you will not achieve maximum results from it's capability if you don't follow their tested application method.

It also operates best under a 50psi clamping pressure.

And to answer your question too much thermal compound acts as an insulator instead of a conductor of the heat.

a c 103 à CPUs
January 29, 2012 5:47:49 PM

Best answer selected by 4ryan6.
Score
!