Status
Not open for further replies.

CandleJack

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
I've searched the net far and wide about this question, and no one seems to have a legitimate answer. The question is this, "what is the danger of applying to much/little thermal compound?" I have i7 quad and using IC Diamonds, I've applied about a grain of rice size on all four corners and one in the middle and then put my heat sync back on. Is that the correct amount?

Solution

IC Diamond is a very thick thermal compound there are specific application instructions for it, and you will not achieve maximum results from it's capability if you don't follow their tested application method.

It also operates best under a 50psi clamping pressure.

And to answer your question too much thermal compound acts as an insulator instead of...

Espionage724

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I read the AS5 guide, and it said to only put a grain of rice size of paste in the middle of the CPU only, then to put the heatsink onto the CPU flat, then twist it side to side. Imo, it does seem like a small amount, but I would like to know as well the dangers of too little or much. I imagine it would only affect heating though, in a sense that you'll get more heat if you apply too much or little...

+1, you should be dandy

Uther39

Distinguished

KEH ??

IC Diamond is a very thick thermal compound there are specific application instructions for it, and you will not achieve maximum results from it's capability if you don't follow their tested application method.

It also operates best under a 50psi clamping pressure.

And to answer your question too much thermal compound acts as an insulator instead of a conductor of the heat.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.