Sign in with
Your question

Rate MY Rig 2011

Last response: in Systems
April 15, 2011 1:45:29 AM

Hey guys.....not a newbie to rigging home builds...but a newbie to the forums on this website...i've been using gamedebate for ages....just wanted an outside opinion. the following rig is just basic and budget..(in my eyes) just the base componets...no accessories

CPU:
brand - Intel
processor - Core i7
model - 960
freq - 3.2 Ghz

GPU:
brand - Asus
core brand - Nvidia
gpu model - GTX 580 directCU II
memory - 1536 mb (if you want freq just go website)

Motherboard:
brand - Asus
Model - Rampage III Formula

SSD:
brand - OCZ
model - vertex
size - 120 Gb

HDD:
brand - Seagate
model - Momentus XT ST95005620AS
size - 500 Gb

PSU:
brand - CoolerMaster
model - eXtreme Power Plus
watts - 700

RAM:
brand - Corsair
Model - CMP6GX3M3A1600C8 6GB (3x2GB)
data rate - DDR3

CASE:
brand - NZXT
model - Phantom
color - Black

total price $2100.00 AUD (roughly)

Any Response is appreciated
Thankyou in advance.

Regards, Wato

More about : rate rig 2011

April 15, 2011 1:55:15 AM

There's no reason to go with anything other than sandy bridge at this price point. The 2500k is far superior to the 960....
April 15, 2011 1:58:42 AM

Yeah right if 580 gtx is so cheap then why don't you buy me one or sli them :) 

Anyways I rate it an 9/10 because the i7 960 is just outclassed by the cheaper i5-2500k. I'm a big fan of the 580 gtx and the NZXT cases and that system is really good. I would be insanely happy with that build but my budget dark side is telling that SSDs are overpriced.

Great build though!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 15, 2011 1:59:41 AM

"Upgrade" to a 2600K, get a better PSU, and a desktop harddrive.

1. Honestly there's are absolutely no point on buying Bloomfields anymore (990X proudly excepted. bragging rights FTW), the 2600K spanks even the 970's booties.

2. CM PSUs = a step up from generic; eXtreme power plus = take that step down.

3. 2.5" HDDS (once again, VelociRaptors proudly excepted) are meant for laptops, AIOs, and HTPCs, even the fancy-schmancy Momentus XT's. I mean why do you want a measly 4GB of "Flashboost" if you already have a spanking new 120GB SSD (hopefully vertex 3); besides, the 5400rpm just evens out any performance boosts. Get a green drive for storage, or F3/WD Black/Deskstar/Barracuda XT for "general purpose".
April 15, 2011 2:04:28 AM

That build is so last year... :p  Like others on here have stated, the 1155 Sandy Bridge 2500K is the way to go now as far as gaming builds...well just about any build these days.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/307811-31-gaming-comp... <--- There's a build I posted on there just a few minutes ago for an Aussie. I used several retailers on that build for the fact the OP wanted to use "shopbot.au" for his build...he was on a tight budget.

Also dual 560's > single 580 ...if you want to save some cash and still get excellent FPS.
April 15, 2011 2:26:58 AM

agreed......thanks for the insanely quick replies guys......ive been pondering on the PSU for a while wondering wether or not to go for broke with a CoolerMaster GX 750W PSU its only about 50 dollars extra. and with the ssd its vertex 2 the vertex 3 version was sadly sold out at my store of choice and had a 60 day back order...so i was like f**k that and as for the hdd i'll stick with the seagate...for now. i just wanna test its speeds..thanks for advice so far guys. oh and as for the 2600k ... it was my first choice but sadly they arent available at my store of choice yet....near future most certainly gonna snag me one of these bad boys MOST DEFFINENTLY. and the 580gtx will do for me...im not big on sli....bad experiences...at my fault of course....but thanks for the advice.
!