Installation question for a new build

mulberry05

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
So I have almost all my parts in for my new build, just waiting for the new HDD. Microsoft is offering a student special for windows 7 professional for a good price so I am tempted to purchase this. my question is such: it says windows 7 professional upgrade...does that mean I would need an OS already installed on my computer to boot from disk? there is nothing on my new hard drive (obviously :p) and was trying to figure out what my best option is. I currently do not own any OS disk other than XP pro. here is a link to the microsoft site to see what I'm saying:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/productID.216644200

edit: I was looking at some reviews on amazon and people are saying its possible to boot from disk, others aren't...?!?

leonkennedy_7

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
the upgrade pack means u need to have a windows already but the good thing is the same website shows that this pack is compatible with the existing xp and vista. so you will need to install the xp first and then upgrade
the info is on this page read it carefully it answers almost all of the questions

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/productID.216644200?network=AffiliateWindow.

For upgrade u need previous XP or Vista with licence # and it doesn't need to be installed to install W7.

So for u, OEM licence would do, if they offer that for students.

It does not need to be installed --- you can install the OS even if you do not have a license and use it for 30 or 60 days as a trial to decide if you want to keep it or not before purchase by not entering any product key during install (just pressing enter) the Install will procedd but once installed you will get the need to activate reminder prompt each time you boot until you activate it -- If you install without a code and then try activating using an upgrade license you might fail to activate online and will need to proceed to activate by contacting MS activation support who will ask you for the key code for the upgrade and the key from the OS you are upgrading from at which time they will give you a response code to activate the installation. (so you will need an old product key and the new key but the old product does not need to be installed !)

mulberry05

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

this is exactly what I was looking for! thanks!

I have a follow up question. If I was to download the windows 7 upgrade (when purchasing you have the option of downloading or getting a disk sent, but I have all my parts and don't wanna wait anymore!), what is the best way to burn it to a disk so that when I put together my new cpu, can boot from disk? are there settings i need to change? do i need to have a DVD-R?
also, what if I was to put it on a flash drive, would that work?