2 graphic cards

rlf_15

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Hi all,

im in the market for a second graphics card but am unsure of what sort of specs are required to be met i will list my current graphics card and mobo below. I wanted to know if the card is even compatible with crossfire and how much of a difference it would make it is a ATI Sapphire 5570HD, also does it have to be the same make and model of graphic card. but i just need to know if it can be done my mobo is an asus p7H55-MLX if you can list a variety of grafix cards compatible as pricing is not an issue

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1209/1/

http://www.scorptec.com.au/computer/38978-p7h55-m-lx

Thank you Kindly
Rhys

first of all i don't think your card able to do crossfire (someone correct me if i'm wrong with this one). even if the card can be CFed it is better to have single powerful card. i'm not talking about the complexity of multi gpu here but the performance gain are simply not worth the hassle IMO. secondly your mobo does not support CF. you need at least two PCI-E slots for crossfire but your mobo only have one. so you're stuck with only one graphic card for your system

The description on the 5570 product page at AMD.com states this card offers crossfire support, though I haven't found one version of the 5570 card that can accommodate a Crossfire Interconnect Cable (CIC).

As a result and by digging deeper, I've found the 5750 uses software crossfire.

With hardware crossfire, I can attest you don't need the same make but you do need a compatible model. I've found this is the same with software crossfire.

Refer to the crossfire compatibility chart on the AMD product pages:

http://sites.amd.com/US/GAME/TECHNOLOGY/Pages/crossfirex.aspx

It shows that you can crossfire your 5570 with another 5570 or a 5670 and no CIC is required (software crossfire).

Originally, I thought you couldn't run the 5570 crossfired. Through this exercise I've learned something about the 5570 I didn't know before.

On to your motherboard...
That motherboard has an x16 and an x4 slot. I don't think it's built to accommodate 2 GPUs, but who knows? Theoretically, you should be able to use the PCIe x16 card in the x4 slot because they are supposed to be backward compatible (PCIe spec) and the x4 slot is open-ended on that motherboard (maybe for that purpose?). The only reservation I have is usually the manual and the product packaging will state that it is crossfire compatible if it is (this is a selling point). This motherboard's packaging and manual do not. Though in your motherboard's manual, it states the motherboard's x4 slot will accommodate expansion cards meeting the PCIe spec.

If you have the resources, I would go for an upgrade to a single 5770, 5850 or another card with more capability. If you are limited to choosing another 5570, my suggestion is go to the store, pick up a 5570, plug it into the x4 slot and see if it works? You may have to express uninstall and re-install the AMD Catalyst and drivers (I've had to do this every time I've added a new card).

If it doesn't work, return it.

rlf_15

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Hi
And thank you for your input its just my dad is going to singapore and i see this is a parts cow for cheap, but it appears now it would not be worth the hassle of creating the second gpu i might just buy a new 1 and solo it, keeping the current as a back up now that puts me in to as whats a mad as grafix card to buy :p i conisider my self a gamer but would like 2 or more computer screens and connect it to the tv with hdmi (hdmi must have the built in sound to it possibly an ati?) so im thinking the eye finity card but am unsure whether it will fit in my mobo, please dont be afraid to list the available grafix cards pricing not an issue

Thank you once again
Reguards Rhys

rlf_15

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Hi again just having troubles finding a grafix card for that mobo of mine the ones listed above seem to be all gddr5 from what i can see

"I would go for an upgrade to a single 5770, 5850 or another card with more capability"

rlf_15

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2011
Hi again just having troubles finding a grafix card for that mobo of mine the ones listed above seem to be all gddr5 from what i can see

"I would go for an upgrade to a single 5770, 5850 or another card with more capability"