Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New mobo,CPU, reinstall OS?

Last response: in Systems
April 15, 2011 4:18:00 AM

Just switched from an AMD mobo and cpu to an intel mobo and cpu.

Went from an AMD Phenom IIx4 black ed. to an intel i5 2500 sandy bridge.

My question is quite simple: what are your opinions on swapping in new mobos and cpus without formatting your HDD? I have Windows 7 and so far after installing it, given the fact I have to wait for my new video gard to come in (using an old 8600gt for now), the system recognized new drivers, deleted a lot of old ones but is running sluggishly. The display resolution is an absolute mess and I can see my intel Turboboost meter jumping EVERYWHERE (from 3.3 to 3.7 to 3.4, etc).

Should I just back up my main harddrive using the clickbios (MSI mobo feature) and reinstall Windows 7? And of course and install the mobo drivers with the manufacturer disc.

More about : mobo cpu reinstall

a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2011 3:16:33 PM

Not sure why you would upgrade from a fast quad to another fast quad, especially with new cpu's coming out soon from Intel and AMD, but whatever, you did what you did.

You ALWAYS do a fresh Windows install when replacing a motherboard.
m
l
April 15, 2011 10:00:29 PM

Gotchya, sounds like a plan.

Oh and I see you're curious, my old CPU was friend by a motherboard that got hit with a nasty power surge. The PSU took it lik a champ but the mobo, cpu and gpu got totally wasted. I thought meh, lets try one of the sandy bridges. I was going to go 6 core with the phenom IIx6, but being a software developer and audio engineer, I just dont have any programs which would utilize those extra 2 cores.

Had I been working with like video rendering and graphic design, that would be a different story.

I must say though, I cant wait for the AMD bulldozers to start showing up.
m
l
Related resources
April 15, 2011 10:56:34 PM

You didn't reuse the original PSU, did you? The voltage surge that fried those other parts had to go through the PSU first, and while it might seem OK it might be providing voltages which are out of spec.
m
l

Best solution

April 16, 2011 12:09:38 AM

if it's sluggish it's because of the video drivers, just try to install the newest video driver and see what happens. do not install the windows driver, always get the one from nvidia's website.

in all the builds which i have done i have noticed the same thing, and as soon as i installed the most current video driver the system was not slow anymore :) 

hope this works
April 16, 2011 12:11:33 AM

btw...intel rocks...great choice
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 145 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 16, 2011 12:16:07 AM

some points:
1) you used to have to reinstall, mainly because of the main motherboard chipset. You can try and if you see no issues I guess it's working. You'd want to uninstall and reinstall the main chipset drivers.

I do highly recommend you reinstall Windows though.

2) Windows OEM technically can't be reinstalled on different motherboard causing difficulties in Activation though in practice if you have any issues if you phone the automated service you'll probably get things running again.

(Windows "full version" (non-OEM) is more expensive but has a limited number of reinstallations. Can't be run simultaneously on other machines but I think it allows two extra installations past the original).

*I've had to re-Activate my system in the past even when the motherboard didn't change (just software and other hardware). I've never re-Activated with Windows 7, only Vista despite many changes with Windows 7 hardware (more RAM, RAID0 SSD added, new audio card)
m
l
April 16, 2011 12:23:56 PM

PhilFrisbie said:
You didn't reuse the original PSU, did you? The voltage surge that fried those other parts had to go through the PSU first, and while it might seem OK it might be providing voltages which are out of spec.

Trust me, I was definitely a step ahead of that. I was afraid it would fry my new components so I ditched the old PSU and upgraded to a new one which had about 300 more watts of juice.

I noticed my system would suddenly power off when it couldnt take it anymore from struggling to operate with this old video card. So I figure the new PSU should take care of the problem with not providing enough voltage and installing the latest drivers should correct the sluggishness.
m
l
April 16, 2011 12:26:47 PM

nebun said:
if it's sluggish it's because of the video drivers, just try to install the newest video driver and see what happens. do not install the windows driver, always get the one from nvidia's website.

in all the builds which i have done i have noticed the same thing, and as soon as i installed the most current video driver the system was not slow anymore :) 

hope this works

Looks like this would solve the problem on a count of Windows already telling me a few times in a little taskpane balloon saying my nvidia drivers were messed up.

Only problem is, its running so slow I'll have to download the drivers on a different computer and put them on a flash drive and dump them on there because the video driver errors are so aweful that I can barely do ANYTHING. XD
m
l
April 16, 2011 12:27:08 PM

Best answer selected by bland_cakez.
m
l
!