Hwo to connect my top usb port to motherboard

Hi,
I have ordered, and waiting, for a new;
ASUS P7P55D-E - Motherboard - ATX - LGA1156 Socket - P55 - USB 3.0, FireWire - Gigabit Ethernet - HD Audio (8-channel)

I also have the;
Coolermaster SILENCIO Case

on top of the case it has a usb 3 slot, and inside the case coming from that usb 3 slot/port it has a cable that looks like a usb cable.
what I am wondering is where does that plug into so that the top usb port works?
is there a slot on mobo for it to connect to?
Or do I HAVE to buy an pci usb3 expansion slot? which I will be surprised if I have to.

Im guessing and seen on youtube that two of the back usb slots are usb 3 but I would like one on top as it is there on case, just need to know how to connect, and have spent a few hours trying to find out b4 asking.
also got usb 2 on top but hat has no funny usb cable to attach any where, haha.

cheers.

Tom
3 answers Last reply
More about connect port motherboard
  1. Title for this topic should read,
    How to connect my top usb3 port to motherboard

sorry.

T

PS: sorry for double post. But thought I would correct my mistake.
  2. - 2 x USB 3.0 ports (blue; at back panel)
    Intel® P55 Express Chipset:
    - 12 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports (6 ports at mid-board, 6 ports at back panel)

There is no USB 3 front panel connector on this mobo. You would have to buy an expansion card for front panel 3.0.
  3. Hi.
    yes thanks for the info on the usb on back.

So even though the case has one I cant connect to it via mobo, not even with adapter of some kind?

well Im happy with 2 on rear of machine but would of been nice to have one on top format panel, next to power/reset and card reader...plus usb2 port of course, but ill just have to have it here for show, and tie up the cable ( looks like usb cable, yes that big and with a usb looking port on front, guess if he mobo did allow it it would have a usb ( kinda ) slot to fit this end of this usb style lead, maybe?) ) that comes from the usb3 port ( from inside ), or would that need to be connected to expansion slot?? I doubt it but asked any way.

If I need more usb3 ports then Ill get an expansion card

Thanks alot.

Tom
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards USB USB3