Some love for an i7 920?

jackalren

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Hello, I have been researching on sandy bridge, bulldozer and even ivy bridge ( albeit brief ).

Now I have had my 920 and p6t since about 2008 and periodically have had an itch for upgrades, but I'm really trying to find out the " is it really worth it" factor.

It has offered me consistent functionality for sometime without serious issues.

AM I an odd man out for having some sort of sentimental value for my computer?

Thanks for your time in this.

t53186

Distinguished
I have a couple of boxes each with an i7920 and my itch grew too strong. Just built a Intel dx79SI with a i73930k. For what I do it the new one screams (multi threaded apps), but I won't get rid of the other two boxes.

jackalren

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Here are a brief listing of my specs.

core i7 920 ( D0 stepping) @ 3.8 ghz ( I could go higher but the electric bill I think would be a :fou:)

12gb gskill ddr3 1600 9-9-9-25 timings

ASUS p6t deluxe

2x raptor 300gb raid 0 ( OS DRIVE )

nvidia gtx 465

So my guy is hardly a slumper. Wouldn't mind having a working sata 6.0 setup though. Or an ssd for that matter. But I have paranoidily ( not a word) keep rebounding to the fact that sata 3 and an ssd is kind of redundant.

Ok so aside from all that I think I'll just wait for something amazing to come along.

Thanks guys for your insights. :wahoo:

jackalren

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012

Ok yeah on alot of boards I've seen marvell hasnt been living up to sata speed potential. I can only assume most Mobo makers will assume that you can "live with it" in order to lower prices.

Had to look at the asus promos pdf just to remember but-

*On the spec PDF it states that the intel matrix is for 6 sata ports and 2 other ports are registered as Marvell sas controllers.

So looking at the other boards out there, some differences do arise of course-

Sata 6 capability ( currently running Sata 3)

(If I had a choice to buy it'd be ideally on an intel controller, although I have read that marvell is cleaning up their act on some of their newer controllers.

USB 3.0 capability ( I already have a usb expansion card on my pcie x4 slot )

PCIe 3.0 capability or 3rd gen

2 slots with 16x capability with 2 cards plugged in ( my board is 3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 at 16x16x1 or 16x8x8)

I have already hit the memory limit on this board (16gb max ddr3 1600)

So I feel retarded even thinking of buying a machine let alone explaining why I am dropping a bomb of cash on a new rig to my girlfriend. :sweat: lol

So lots of upgrade paths that might not be necessary really.

jackalren

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Thanks all for your expertise. I still peek at newer tech and sockets from time to time. I'd really someday want a faster machine
( like anyone) but it'd have to be really worth it for me to make the jump it seems. In retrospect if I sound like a jackass I apologize. Really always want to weigh out all the options and see what machine would really offer more throughput and a better experience throughout.

TRENDING THREADS