Canon S500 vs G6 vs Nikon Coolpix 5400 vs ???

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 18, 2005 9:33:18 AM

I'm just starting to research digital cameras (for my first digi cam
purchase). The choices are overwhelming!

Anyway, I've started reading some review sites, such as
dpreview.com, dcresource.com, megapixel.net, dcviews.com, etc.

Some of the cameras that I'm starting to look more closely at
include, in order of increasing price, the Nikon Coolpix 5400, the
Canon PowerShot S500, and the Canon PowerShot G6.

My thoughts are that I probably shouldn't spend too much on my first
digital camera---I'll use the first purchase to determine what I
"really" want, and spend the big money in a year or so.

Anyway, the Nikon Coolpix looks like a good value with the $200
rebate; after rebate, it looks as though one of these can be had for
just under $300. So my first question is: is their a better digital
camera at this price point?

As far as I can tell, the Canon PowerShot S500 looks like it's
competition for the CP 5400.

I can't find anything I don't like about the G6, but I'm not sure if
I want to spend that kind of money on my first digital camera
purchase.

What do I want to use this camera for? I expect to take a lot of
outdoor nature shots; I'm going camping in California this summer,
so I want to take lots of pictures of the earth. Ideally, I'd like
some nice shots that I can have printed and framed to decorate my
walls. I'm also planning a trip to Las Vegas this year, and I'd
like to capture some of the "look" of that crazy city at night (if
you know what I mean).

Additionally, I want a generally good camera for various social
situations: parties, family events, etc.

It's early in my research, so I'm just hoping to get some general
comments, what to look for, other models to consider, etc, etc.

Thanks!
Matt

--
Matt Garman
email at: http://raw-sewage.net/index.php?file=email

I've got the Canon a80, so I can only give you an opinion of these cameras,
not a review. But, skip the g6 - it's heavy and (as you say) probably not
the best first camera choice (wouldn't lug it around to parties, for
instance). Instead of getting the s500 elph's, why not consider waiting for
new the A500 series powershots to come out - they've got a bit more zoom to
them, but aren't as heavy as a g6 (or bulky)?

e.g. http://www.dcviews.com/press/Canon-A520.htm

Small, relativly light, and comes from a good line of cameras. If you
really want the features, you can kick it up to the G6. I would imagine
though, that if you got one of the A series and played with it for a couple
of years then wanted to get something a bit more heafty, you would be mostly
going for a DSLR like the nikon d70...

!