v180 vs v551 opinions?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

I'm upgrading from my StarTac on TDMA (you can tell we don't change cell
phones frequently ;) ) to GSM and looking at the Motorola v180 and v551.

The 551 has more features than I need but it appears to get better
reviews in general performance and reliability. I'm only interested in a
phone and some text messaging. Camera is not important. Internet not at
this point.

Any users shopped one against the other?

Appreciate any input. Thanks.

--
Please send email to: nwhiii at yahoo dot com
23 answers Last reply
More about v180 v551 opinions
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Even though you say you will not want to use all the features of the
    v551 it is a much better phone. It has the Bluetooth tech and a better
    display screen. I would highly recommend the v551 over the v180.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 21:10:02 -0400, Norm <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote:

    I just went through the same thought process, and decided on the v180
    because of the battery life. I didn't care about a camera or
    bluetooth. Although I don't use the internet, the v180 does appear to
    be capable of doing that, but I'm not sure if to the same extent as
    the v551.

    The most common criticism of the v180 that I found was that the black
    faceplate scratches very easily. They were right. I only have it for
    4 weeks, am very careful with it, and my faceplate already has a
    collection of scratches. You can get a whole variety of replacement
    cases for it on eBay, however, for less than $10, including shipping.

    The reason I chose the v180 over the v551 was the battery charge life.
    I saw many reports of horrible battery charge life with the v551, and
    generally good reports about the v180. I'm completely satisfied with
    the v180. I get at least 3-4 days out of a charge, with a fair amount
    of talk time. I keep it well conditioned, however, by fully charging
    it and then letting it fully discharge each time. I've found that I
    can discharge it from one full battery bar to dead in about one hour
    by loading up the game. That keeps the screen on and quickly
    discharges the battery. It then takes about 3-1/2 hours to fully
    charge it, using either the home charger or a car charger.

    >I'm upgrading from my StarTac on TDMA (you can tell we don't change cell
    >phones frequently ;) ) to GSM and looking at the Motorola v180 and v551.
    >
    >The 551 has more features than I need but it appears to get better
    >reviews in general performance and reliability. I'm only interested in a
    >phone and some text messaging. Camera is not important. Internet not at
    >this point.
    >
    >Any users shopped one against the other?
    >
    >Appreciate any input. Thanks.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    PS: Whichever one you decide on, check Amazon's price first.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <g1hq81dtkm8sjqt7bo7niaqthl08l0ddh8@4ax.com>,
    kjk <kjk@usa.com> wrote:

    > PS: Whichever one you decide on, check Amazon's price first.


    Any problems buying from Amazon (or other non-Cingular online outlets)
    for this Cingular phone purchase and upgrade from TDMA given that I'm
    currently an ATTWS customer with my wife's cell under the same account?

    Thanks.

    --
    Please send email to: nwhiii at yahoo dot com
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    I believe that Amazon states that it's for new service only, so I
    don't know how they'd handle your situation.

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0003QEAB6/qid=1112714517/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-phones/102-1707583-7038521?v=glance&s=wireless&n=301187

    If you carefully read their page, and also the rebate coupon, you may
    be able to find something that specifically mentions that.

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/wireless/B0003QEAB6/rebate-info/102-1707583-7038521

    ------------------------------------------

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 08:33:52 -0400, Norm <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote:

    >Any problems buying from Amazon (or other non-Cingular online outlets)
    >for this Cingular phone purchase and upgrade from TDMA given that I'm
    >currently an ATTWS customer with my wife's cell under the same account?
    >
    >Thanks.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <c1or81hgc38hrhmghcj6buj37p7b2202jo@4ax.com>,
    kjk <kjk@usa.com> wrote:

    > I believe that Amazon states that it's for new service only, so I
    > don't know how they'd handle your situation.
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0003QEAB6/qid=1112714517/sr=1-1
    > /ref=sr_1_1_etk-phones/102-1707583-7038521?v=glance&s=wireless&n=301187
    >
    > If you carefully read their page, and also the rebate coupon, you may
    > be able to find something that specifically mentions that.
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/wireless/B0003QEAB6/rebat
    > e-info/102-1707583-7038521
    >
    > ------------------------------------------
    >
    > On Fri, 20 May 2005 08:33:52 -0400, Norm <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > >Any problems buying from Amazon (or other non-Cingular online outlets)
    > >for this Cingular phone purchase and upgrade from TDMA given that I'm
    > >currently an ATTWS customer with my wife's cell under the same account?
    > >
    > >Thanks.


    Appreciate the help. Thanks.

    --
    Please send email to: nwhiii at yahoo dot com
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Norm" <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
    news:WJmdnb9avpetRBDfRVn-hw@speakeasy.net...
    > In article <g1hq81dtkm8sjqt7bo7niaqthl08l0ddh8@4ax.com>,
    > kjk <kjk@usa.com> wrote:
    >
    >> PS: Whichever one you decide on, check Amazon's price first.
    >
    >
    > Any problems buying from Amazon (or other non-Cingular online outlets)
    > for this Cingular phone purchase and upgrade from TDMA given that I'm
    > currently an ATTWS customer with my wife's cell under the same account?
    >

    I got two free v551, two $20 bill credits, and 2 $50 mail in rebates on an
    upgrade from Cingular. Essentially, they paid me $140 for taking two v551s.
    There is no reason they probably wouldn't extend you the same deal being a
    long time customer.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 22:31:47 -0400, "Yadayada" <nospam@duh.net> wrote:


    >
    >I got two free v551, two $20 bill credits, and 2 $50 mail in rebates on an
    >upgrade from Cingular. Essentially, they paid me $140 for taking two v551s.
    >There is no reason they probably wouldn't extend you the same deal being a
    >long time customer.
    >

    When and where did you get that kind of deal. Here in the burb's of
    Kansas City the company owned Cingular store charges $99 after rebate
    for each v551. On top of that there is the upgrade charge of $18 per
    phone.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <x3xje.9420$J25.1611@bignews6.bellsouth.net>,
    "Yadayada" <nospam@duh.net> wrote:

    > "Norm" <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
    > news:WJmdnb9avpetRBDfRVn-hw@speakeasy.net...
    > > In article <g1hq81dtkm8sjqt7bo7niaqthl08l0ddh8@4ax.com>,
    > > kjk <kjk@usa.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> PS: Whichever one you decide on, check Amazon's price first.
    > >
    > >
    > > Any problems buying from Amazon (or other non-Cingular online outlets)
    > > for this Cingular phone purchase and upgrade from TDMA given that I'm
    > > currently an ATTWS customer with my wife's cell under the same account?
    > >
    >
    > I got two free v551, two $20 bill credits, and 2 $50 mail in rebates on an
    > upgrade from Cingular. Essentially, they paid me $140 for taking two v551s.
    > There is no reason they probably wouldn't extend you the same deal being a
    > long time customer.

    Thanks. Question:

    You bought directly from Cingular?

    Did you buy from: Customer Service or a Store (Cingular or independent)
    or Online (assume not online since set terms)?

    Appreciate.

    --
    Please send email to: nwhiii at yahoo dot com
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Norm" <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
    news:2cedna_Uu4B3pRDfRVn-rg@speakeasy.net...
    > I'm upgrading from my StarTac on TDMA (you can tell we don't change cell
    > phones frequently ;) ) to GSM and looking at the Motorola v180 and v551.
    >
    > The 551 has more features than I need but it appears to get better
    > reviews in general performance and reliability. I'm only interested in a
    > phone and some text messaging. Camera is not important. Internet not at
    > this point.
    >
    > Any users shopped one against the other?
    >
    > Appreciate any input. Thanks.
    >

    I currently own a v180, which I got simply because I wanted Motorola's
    simplest phone - i.e., no camera, etc. The v180 has terrific battery life
    (I only charge mine twice a week, and that's with a lot of yakking long
    distance), and I always keep mine in a case, so no problems here with
    scratches.

    However, if you even think you might want to use features like Bluetooth,
    etc., sometime in the future, better go with the v551 - particularly if
    charging the battery more frequently isn't an issue. (As a StarTac owner -
    you're probably used to that. At least my old StarTac practically lived on
    a charger. Great phone though.) Since you keep your phones a while, what
    you need today might not be what you need tomorrow.

    Besides, the v551 is a more expensive phone, and you can always get yourself
    a little v180 on Ebay or something pretty cheap as a backup phone.


    Elizabeth

    "There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <HDHje.4008$X92.2449@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    "starfish" <starfish9457@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > "Norm" <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
    > news:2cedna_Uu4B3pRDfRVn-rg@speakeasy.net...
    > > I'm upgrading from my StarTac on TDMA (you can tell we don't change cell
    > > phones frequently ;) ) to GSM and looking at the Motorola v180 and v551.
    > >
    > > The 551 has more features than I need but it appears to get better
    > > reviews in general performance and reliability. I'm only interested in a
    > > phone and some text messaging. Camera is not important. Internet not at
    > > this point.
    > >
    > > Any users shopped one against the other?
    > >
    > > Appreciate any input. Thanks.
    > >
    >
    > I currently own a v180, which I got simply because I wanted Motorola's
    > simplest phone - i.e., no camera, etc. The v180 has terrific battery life
    > (I only charge mine twice a week, and that's with a lot of yakking long
    > distance), and I always keep mine in a case, so no problems here with
    > scratches.
    >
    > However, if you even think you might want to use features like Bluetooth,
    > etc., sometime in the future, better go with the v551 - particularly if
    > charging the battery more frequently isn't an issue. (As a StarTac owner -
    > you're probably used to that. At least my old StarTac practically lived on
    > a charger. Great phone though.) Since you keep your phones a while, what
    > you need today might not be what you need tomorrow.
    >
    > Besides, the v551 is a more expensive phone, and you can always get yourself
    > a little v180 on Ebay or something pretty cheap as a backup phone.
    >
    >
    > Elizabeth
    >
    > "There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."

    Thanks for that input.

    Not knowing about how these new phones with SIM cards work. Remember I'm
    that StarTac TDMA user. ;)

    Once I upgrade to GSM, can I at a later point take the SIM from the v551
    or v180 and put it in any other phone I would buy, like your suggestion
    above, and it would work? Do I need to buy a "Cingular" phone or any
    cell with a SIM?

    Thanks.

    --
    Please send email to: nwhiii at yahoo dot com
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Norm" <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
    news:LpidnRJUkrY97BLfRVn-2g@speakeasy.net...
    > In article <HDHje.4008$X92.2449@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    > "starfish" <starfish9457@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> "Norm" <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
    >> news:2cedna_Uu4B3pRDfRVn-rg@speakeasy.net...
    >> > I'm upgrading from my StarTac on TDMA (you can tell we don't change
    >> > cell
    >> > phones frequently ;) ) to GSM and looking at the Motorola v180 and
    >> > v551.
    >> >
    >> > The 551 has more features than I need but it appears to get better
    >> > reviews in general performance and reliability. I'm only interested in
    >> > a
    >> > phone and some text messaging. Camera is not important. Internet not at
    >> > this point.
    >> >
    >> > Any users shopped one against the other?
    >> >
    >> > Appreciate any input. Thanks.
    >> >
    >>
    >> I currently own a v180, which I got simply because I wanted Motorola's
    >> simplest phone - i.e., no camera, etc. The v180 has terrific battery
    >> life
    >> (I only charge mine twice a week, and that's with a lot of yakking long
    >> distance), and I always keep mine in a case, so no problems here with
    >> scratches.
    >>
    >> However, if you even think you might want to use features like Bluetooth,
    >> etc., sometime in the future, better go with the v551 - particularly if
    >> charging the battery more frequently isn't an issue. (As a StarTac
    >> owner -
    >> you're probably used to that. At least my old StarTac practically lived
    >> on
    >> a charger. Great phone though.) Since you keep your phones a while,
    >> what
    >> you need today might not be what you need tomorrow.
    >>
    >> Besides, the v551 is a more expensive phone, and you can always get
    >> yourself
    >> a little v180 on Ebay or something pretty cheap as a backup phone.
    >>
    >>
    >> Elizabeth
    >>
    >> "There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
    >
    > Thanks for that input.
    >
    > Not knowing about how these new phones with SIM cards work. Remember I'm
    > that StarTac TDMA user. ;)
    >
    > Once I upgrade to GSM, can I at a later point take the SIM from the v551
    > or v180 and put it in any other phone I would buy, like your suggestion
    > above, and it would work? Do I need to buy a "Cingular" phone or any
    > cell with a SIM?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Please send email to: nwhiii at yahoo dot com

    Yes you canmove te sim from phone to phone, as long as the phone is a
    Cingular branded or unlocked phone. Other wise it will not work.

    bamp
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    kjk Wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 21:10:02 -0400, Norm <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > I just went through the same thought process, and decided on the v180
    > because of the battery life. I didn't care about a camera or
    > bluetooth. Although I don't use the internet, the v180 does appear to
    > be capable of doing that, but I'm not sure if to the same extent as
    > the v551.
    >
    > The most common criticism of the v180 that I found was that the black
    > faceplate scratches very easily. They were right. I only have it for
    > 4 weeks, am very careful with it, and my faceplate already has a
    > collection of scratches. You can get a whole variety of replacement
    > cases for it on eBay, however, for less than $10, including shipping.
    >
    > The reason I chose the v180 over the v551 was the battery charge life.
    > I saw many reports of horrible battery charge life with the v551, and
    > generally good reports about the v180. I'm completely satisfied with
    > the v180. I get at least 3-4 days out of a charge, with a fair amount
    > of talk time. I keep it well conditioned, however, by fully charging
    > it and then letting it fully discharge each time. I've found that I
    > can discharge it from one full battery bar to dead in about one hour
    > by loading up the game. That keeps the screen on and quickly
    > discharges the battery. It then takes about 3-1/2 hours to fully
    > charge it, using either the home charger or a car charger.
    >
    > >I'm upgrading from my StarTac on TDMA (you can tell we don't change
    > cell
    > >phones frequently ;) ) to GSM and looking at the Motorola v180 and
    > v551.
    > >
    > >The 551 has more features than I need but it appears to get better
    > >reviews in general performance and reliability. I'm only interested in
    > a
    > >phone and some text messaging. Camera is not important. Internet not
    > at
    > >this point.
    > >
    > >Any users shopped one against the other?
    > >
    > >Appreciate any input. Thanks.


    I disagree. My v551 gets excellent battery life, especially on standby.


    --
    sneak16Posted via GSM-Users.com
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Norm" <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
    news:LpidnRJUkrY97BLfRVn-2g@speakeasy.net...
    > In article <HDHje.4008$X92.2449@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    > "starfish" <starfish9457@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> "Norm" <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
    >> news:2cedna_Uu4B3pRDfRVn-rg@speakeasy.net...
    >> > I'm upgrading from my StarTac on TDMA (you can tell we don't change
    >> > cell
    >> > phones frequently ;) ) to GSM and looking at the Motorola v180 and
    >> > v551.
    >> >
    >> > The 551 has more features than I need but it appears to get better
    >> > reviews in general performance and reliability. I'm only interested in
    >> > a
    >> > phone and some text messaging. Camera is not important. Internet not at
    >> > this point.
    >> >
    >> > Any users shopped one against the other?
    >> >
    >> > Appreciate any input. Thanks.
    >> >
    >>
    >> I currently own a v180, which I got simply because I wanted Motorola's
    >> simplest phone - i.e., no camera, etc. The v180 has terrific battery
    >> life
    >> (I only charge mine twice a week, and that's with a lot of yakking long
    >> distance), and I always keep mine in a case, so no problems here with
    >> scratches.
    >>
    >> However, if you even think you might want to use features like Bluetooth,
    >> etc., sometime in the future, better go with the v551 - particularly if
    >> charging the battery more frequently isn't an issue. (As a StarTac
    >> owner -
    >> you're probably used to that. At least my old StarTac practically lived
    >> on
    >> a charger. Great phone though.) Since you keep your phones a while,
    >> what
    >> you need today might not be what you need tomorrow.
    >>
    >> Besides, the v551 is a more expensive phone, and you can always get
    >> yourself
    >> a little v180 on Ebay or something pretty cheap as a backup phone.
    >>
    >>
    >> Elizabeth
    >>
    >> "There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast."
    >
    > Thanks for that input.
    >
    > Not knowing about how these new phones with SIM cards work. Remember I'm
    > that StarTac TDMA user. ;)
    >
    > Once I upgrade to GSM, can I at a later point take the SIM from the v551
    > or v180 and put it in any other phone I would buy, like your suggestion
    > above, and it would work? Do I need to buy a "Cingular" phone or any
    > cell with a SIM?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    Yes, you can use your sim in a different phone - it just has to be a
    Cingular compatible phone or unlocked. I've always stored my phone book on
    the sim and not the phone itself, so that makes it even easier. I don't
    have a land phone any more, so a backup cell is a good idea for someone like
    me. My son (who also is a cell-only person) once dropped his Nokia from a
    third-floor balcony, and the thing STILL WORKED. No screen, though. My
    luck isn't as good as his, so I like to have a backup.

    Elizabeth
    "A cat will always sit on whatever you are trying to read. Computer
    keyboards are really neat too."
  15. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Norm wrote:

    > Once I upgrade to GSM, can I at a later point take the SIM from the v551
    > or v180 and put it in any other phone I would buy, like your suggestion
    > above, and it would work? Do I need to buy a "Cingular" phone or any
    > cell with a SIM?

    As has already been been pointed out, you can move the SIM from one phone to
    another, as long as the phone is either locked to the carrier whose SIM
    card you want to use or the phone is unlocked. There is one caveat,
    however, with moving to an unlocked phone. It's not programmed for any
    special network features the carrier might include in a phone that's locked
    to its network. So, additional programming will be required if you want to
    have things like internet access or network oriented voice dialing. But
    you will be able to make calls.

    Bill K
  16. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Norm wrote:

    > Did you buy from: Customer Service or a Store (Cingular or independent)
    > or Online (assume not online since set terms)?

    Check all of them out, including BestBuy, Amazon, etc. Each will have its
    own variation in pricing & promotional perks.

    Bill K
  17. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    Just adding my .02 worth...I have the 551 and am very unhappy with it. Mine
    has constantly dropped calls, gotten poor reception, and the vibrate mode is
    unreasonably soft. However, others have not had this problem.
    When we got the phones my wife wanted the Nokia 6230, which has been a
    marvel - strong signal, vibrate mode that could be used as a muscle
    massager - I've been impressed.
    Your experience might be different, but in the 3 551's I've had and taken
    back I've been sadly disappointed.
    Good luck on your choice.

    Michael
    "Norm" <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
    news:2cedna_Uu4B3pRDfRVn-rg@speakeasy.net...
    > I'm upgrading from my StarTac on TDMA (you can tell we don't change cell
    > phones frequently ;) ) to GSM and looking at the Motorola v180 and v551.
    >
    > The 551 has more features than I need but it appears to get better
    > reviews in general performance and reliability. I'm only interested in a
    > phone and some text messaging. Camera is not important. Internet not at
    > this point.
    >
    > Any users shopped one against the other?
    >
    > Appreciate any input. Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Please send email to: nwhiii at yahoo dot com
  18. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    On Sat, 21 May 2005 20:56:22 GMT, "gms238" <gms238@verizon.net> wrote:

    >Just adding my .02 worth...I have the 551 and am very unhappy with it. Mine
    >has constantly dropped calls, gotten poor reception, and the vibrate mode is
    >unreasonably soft. However, others have not had this problem.
    >When we got the phones my wife wanted the Nokia 6230, which has been a
    >marvel - strong signal, vibrate mode that could be used as a muscle
    >massager - I've been impressed.
    >Your experience might be different, but in the 3 551's I've had and taken
    >back I've been sadly disappointed.

    Have you tried a Razr V3? Is its reception better, the same or worse than
    the V551?
  19. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Norm" <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
    news:LpidnQ1UkrYX7xLfRVn-2g@speakeasy.net...
    > In article <x3xje.9420$J25.1611@bignews6.bellsouth.net>,
    > "Yadayada" <nospam@duh.net> wrote:
    >
    >> "Norm" <NOSPAM@yahoo.invalid> wrote in message
    >> news:WJmdnb9avpetRBDfRVn-hw@speakeasy.net...
    >> > In article <g1hq81dtkm8sjqt7bo7niaqthl08l0ddh8@4ax.com>,
    >> > kjk <kjk@usa.com> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> PS: Whichever one you decide on, check Amazon's price first.
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > Any problems buying from Amazon (or other non-Cingular online outlets)
    >> > for this Cingular phone purchase and upgrade from TDMA given that I'm
    >> > currently an ATTWS customer with my wife's cell under the same account?
    >> >
    >>
    >> I got two free v551, two $20 bill credits, and 2 $50 mail in rebates on
    >> an
    >> upgrade from Cingular. Essentially, they paid me $140 for taking two
    >> v551s.
    >> There is no reason they probably wouldn't extend you the same deal being
    >> a
    >> long time customer.
    >
    > Thanks. Question:
    >
    > You bought directly from Cingular?
    >
    > Did you buy from: Customer Service or a Store (Cingular or independent)
    > or Online (assume not online since set terms)?
    >
    > Appreciate.

    I guess you could consider it through Customer Service. I did it over the
    phone with Cingular.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Jeff" <nckvotech@ yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:qivu81d4nb9m8757pi7lmm24oueuvprvkp@4ax.com...
    > On Fri, 20 May 2005 22:31:47 -0400, "Yadayada" <nospam@duh.net> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>
    >>I got two free v551, two $20 bill credits, and 2 $50 mail in rebates on an
    >>upgrade from Cingular. Essentially, they paid me $140 for taking two
    >>v551s.
    >>There is no reason they probably wouldn't extend you the same deal being a
    >>long time customer.
    >>
    >
    > When and where did you get that kind of deal. Here in the burb's of
    > Kansas City the company owned Cingular store charges $99 after rebate
    > for each v551. On top of that there is the upgrade charge of $18 per
    > phone.

    Straight from Cingular (not corporate store ... phone) at the very end of
    December 2004.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    <sandyon66XYZ@comcast.net> wrote in message
    news:dehv81hh07cp29qvbj8t56a7g7hmurkvup@4ax.com...
    > On Sat, 21 May 2005 20:56:22 GMT, "gms238" <gms238@verizon.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Just adding my .02 worth...I have the 551 and am very unhappy with it.
    >>Mine
    >>has constantly dropped calls, gotten poor reception, and the vibrate mode
    >>is
    >>unreasonably soft. However, others have not had this problem.
    >>When we got the phones my wife wanted the Nokia 6230, which has been a
    >>marvel - strong signal, vibrate mode that could be used as a muscle
    >>massager - I've been impressed.
    >>Your experience might be different, but in the 3 551's I've had and taken
    >>back I've been sadly disappointed.
    >
    > Have you tried a Razr V3? Is its reception better, the same or worse than
    > the V551?
    >

    The V3's guts are basically the same as the v551. That being said, it's
    battery life and RF performance should be almost identical.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    In article <WZSje.8214$8S5.680@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
    Yadayada <nospam@duh.net> wrote:
    >
    ><sandyon66XYZ@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >news:dehv81hh07cp29qvbj8t56a7g7hmurkvup@4ax.com...
    >> On Sat, 21 May 2005 20:56:22 GMT, "gms238" <gms238@verizon.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Just adding my .02 worth...I have the 551 and am very unhappy with it.
    >>>Mine
    >>>has constantly dropped calls, gotten poor reception, and the vibrate mode
    >>>is
    >>>unreasonably soft. However, others have not had this problem.
    >>>When we got the phones my wife wanted the Nokia 6230, which has been a
    >>>marvel - strong signal, vibrate mode that could be used as a muscle
    >>>massager - I've been impressed.
    >>>Your experience might be different, but in the 3 551's I've had and taken
    >>>back I've been sadly disappointed.
    >>
    >> Have you tried a Razr V3? Is its reception better, the same or worse than
    >> the V551?
    >>
    >
    >The V3's guts are basically the same as the v551. That being said, it's
    >battery life and RF performance should be almost identical.

    How can the battery life be identical when the V3 has less space inside for
    the battery?
  23. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

    "Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message
    news:d6pv6q$j5g$1@reader1.panix.com...
    >
    > In article <WZSje.8214$8S5.680@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
    > Yadayada <nospam@duh.net> wrote:
    >>
    >><sandyon66XYZ@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>news:dehv81hh07cp29qvbj8t56a7g7hmurkvup@4ax.com...
    >>> On Sat, 21 May 2005 20:56:22 GMT, "gms238" <gms238@verizon.net> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>Just adding my .02 worth...I have the 551 and am very unhappy with it.
    >>>>Mine
    >>>>has constantly dropped calls, gotten poor reception, and the vibrate
    >>>>mode
    >>>>is
    >>>>unreasonably soft. However, others have not had this problem.
    >>>>When we got the phones my wife wanted the Nokia 6230, which has been a
    >>>>marvel - strong signal, vibrate mode that could be used as a muscle
    >>>>massager - I've been impressed.
    >>>>Your experience might be different, but in the 3 551's I've had and
    >>>>taken
    >>>>back I've been sadly disappointed.
    >>>
    >>> Have you tried a Razr V3? Is its reception better, the same or worse
    >>> than
    >>> the V551?
    >>>
    >>
    >>The V3's guts are basically the same as the v551. That being said, it's
    >>battery life and RF performance should be almost identical.
    >
    > How can the battery life be identical when the V3 has less space inside
    > for
    > the battery?
    >


    Check MAh ratings.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cingular Internet Service Providers