Setup RemoteDesktop Over Router??

kevintai

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Hello Everyone: I am using the WinXp Pro and I want to be able to connection 2 computers by using remote desktop function. However, Since both of the computer are connect driect to routers. so how to setup the Remote Desktop function through router. How can I do that ? Thank you very much your help will be highly appreciated . thank you again !!
Kevin

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If the machines are separated by a router or routers you will need to forward the apropriate ports for that service.
Remote Desktop uses TCP port 3389. Go into each routers config and forward that port to the ip of the computer you are on (the one behind the router).

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

kevintai

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
First of all, thank you for answer my question about how to setup the remote desk over the router, Thank you very much, right now I basically understand to forward ports on my 2 routers in the different location. However, after I forward ports to 3389 for both routers in different location. Another problem came out. that is how can I know my IP will be ?? And which IP address I should connect to ??? Since the Router will assign the virtual IP to 192.168.0.XXX there is no way for me to connect both computers. because Virtual IP doesn't exit isn't it ? Is there any way for me can connect both computers ??? Or any other setting that I have to do in order to

here are my situation so you can understand more :
1. I want to connect 2 computers from different location. (ex. home, office )
2. both of computers are hook up with routers in different location.
3. both computers running Windows XP Pro.
4. I already forward both routers' ports to 3389.
5. Don't know what IP Address I should connect because I only got the virtual IP that router assigned.

Thank you again for your time. Your advise will be extremely helpful for me thank you very much.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
The router will assign a DHCP ip to each machine. It will change but not very often. There is a fairly easy way to give each machine a static ip.
Right click on my network places and go to propterties.
Right click on your lan connection and go to propterites.
Find "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" in the list, select it, and hit properties.
Then you can move the selection to "use the following IP address" and enter an IP.
IP: 192.168.0.x (anything but the routers IP, that is usually 192.168.0.1)
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: Routers IP
DNS1: Routers IP
DNS2: An ISPs DNS server (if you know it, not neccissary if you don't)

Do that to each computer and then forward the port to that IP. You should be good to go :)

kevintai

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Thank you very much my remote desktop function is getting closer to run.. However, after I follow up those steps. I assign the IP address by myself, I couldn't go on the Internet? Even I foward ports 3389 to the IP address that I assigned still doen't work.
I just wondering beause since so many router users use their IP address at 192.168.0.X when I also assign my IP to 192.168.0.X will that can connect two computer via Internet? Doesn't it will conflict with other router users' IP address ?? Thank you for your help !! I really appreciated !!

My situation:
Assign IP address to 192.168.0.10 original: 192.168.0.4
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
forward port 3389 to 192.168.0.10
Couldn't go on the Internet.
Do I miss some other setting ?? Thank you very much !!

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Hm... the only thing I can think of is that they router isn't properly forwarding your dns requests. Does your router's config show any of your ISP's dns servers in the area where it shows the external (WAN) ip?
Try using those instead of the routers ip for your DNS1 and or DNS2.

kevintai

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I think the router config properly ~~ However, one thing I don't understand why I should assign IP address by myself to 192.168.0.X ?? and since I assign IP address by myself the router can't assign my ip address so it might the problem that causing me couldn't go on the Internet. ?

Thank you so much !!

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Your ip cannot be the exact same as the router however it must still be in the same subnet. It is just sort of standard to give the computers an ip in the same format as the router. Theretically any ip in the 192.168.x.x can be used and it will still work on that subnet. For your setup 192.168.0.x ips should be used.

Is there any DNS info at all in the router? Sometimes they will show your ISPs dns servers. If you enter that info into your computer it will go directly to the dns server and not have to first be forwarded by the router. That saves you a hop and might make pages come up a tad faster :)