Your question
Closed

LGA 1155 or 2011 motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
March 25, 2012 2:48:51 AM

Hi Everyone :) 

Im building a new system
and im looking to get the most future proof motherboard available

so if anyone has any suggestions feel free to comment :) 

It will need to:
- be able supply the best support for 3way SLI running GTX 680`s
- be CPU future proof, as in support the best CPUs currently available and allow for future gen CPU releases
- support PCIE 3.0
- best RAM support available (as in fastest RAM, not as in maximum GBs of ram, ill never use more than 16gb)

honestly just everything at its best, & most future proof that`s currently available (or available within the next month of releases)
money isnt really a problem im not looking to budget im looking for quality

i want to use intel ivy bridge for this build so if anyone knows when itll be release let me know :) 

and thanks for all your comments :) 

Best solution

a c 127 V Motherboard
March 25, 2012 4:28:13 AM

Nobody knows yet which socket (1155 or 2011) will be used for cpus past Ivy Bridge. So the best you can do is make a decision on what fits your needs now. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth.

Now, the only motherboards that support 3 way sli over gen 3 PCI are socket 2011 boards, so that locks you in right there.

With that in mind, a good 3 way sli with Gen 3 support is:

GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD5 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Notice I went straight past the asrock boards - I just don't trust their quality for an investment of this size. You're paying a hefty price premium for socket 2011, might as well go straight to the good stuff.
March 25, 2012 4:52:45 AM

thats a real big help actually
im currently looking at the rampage IV formula but the one you posted looks good too.

what your opinion on the rampage IV formula

thanks again :) 
Score
Related resources
a c 127 V Motherboard
March 25, 2012 5:15:17 AM

With the Rampage IV formula you are paying about 80 more for a 4th PCIE slot. I don't think you are going to be doing f-way sli, so that would be a big waste of money. Plus, I like the port selection and arrangement on the gigabyte board better.
Score
March 25, 2012 5:32:55 AM

yeah i know its a pretty hard choice ill have to think about it for a while
& thanks for all your help :) 
Score
April 22, 2012 1:14:03 AM

Best answer selected by Russell_PC.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
April 22, 2012 10:32:09 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score