Status
Not open for further replies.

Russell_PC

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Hi Everyone :)

Im building a new system
and im looking to get the most future proof motherboard available

so if anyone has any suggestions feel free to comment :)

It will need to:
- be able supply the best support for 3way SLI running GTX 680`s
- be CPU future proof, as in support the best CPUs currently available and allow for future gen CPU releases
- support PCIE 3.0
- best RAM support available (as in fastest RAM, not as in maximum GBs of ram, ill never use more than 16gb)

honestly just everything at its best, & most future proof that`s currently available (or available within the next month of releases)
money isnt really a problem im not looking to budget im looking for quality

i want to use intel ivy bridge for this build so if anyone knows when itll be release let me know :)

and thanks for all your comments :)

Solution
Nobody knows yet which socket (1155 or 2011) will be used for cpus past Ivy Bridge. So the best you can do is make a decision on what fits your needs now. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth.

Now, the only motherboards that support 3 way sli over gen 3 PCI are socket 2011 boards, so that locks you in right there.

With that in mind, a good 3 way sli with Gen 3 support is:

GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD5 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128531

Notice I went straight past the asrock boards - I just don't trust their quality for an investment of this size. You're paying a hefty price premium for socket 2011, might as well go straight...
Nobody knows yet which socket (1155 or 2011) will be used for cpus past Ivy Bridge. So the best you can do is make a decision on what fits your needs now. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth.

Now, the only motherboards that support 3 way sli over gen 3 PCI are socket 2011 boards, so that locks you in right there.

With that in mind, a good 3 way sli with Gen 3 support is:

GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD5 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128531

Notice I went straight past the asrock boards - I just don't trust their quality for an investment of this size. You're paying a hefty price premium for socket 2011, might as well go straight to the good stuff.

Solution

Russell_PC

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
thats a real big help actually
im currently looking at the rampage IV formula but the one you posted looks good too.

what your opinion on the rampage IV formula

thanks again :)

With the Rampage IV formula you are paying about 80 more for a 4th PCIE slot. I don't think you are going to be doing f-way sli, so that would be a big waste of money. Plus, I like the port selection and arrangement on the gigabyte board better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS