onakasuita11

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
I had to replace the CPU on my laptop because mine was fried. My computer wouldn't even turn on. So after replacing that and the heat sink, my computer won't even stay on for 10 minutes without shutting off. I'm assuming it's overheating, but it's not hot. Any ideas?

Did you use any fresh thermal paste on the cpu and gently remove the old paste with alcohol or acetone? Could be making bad contact, also check the heatsink fan and be sure it's turning. If you want to clean the heatsink, I recommend a canned air solvent instead of a rag soaked with alcohol.

onakasuita11

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
So I was googling about this and I was just going to reply if thermal paste wasn't applied could this be the problem. My neighbor replaced the stuff for me so I don't know if he put it on. He's on vacation for two weeks, is this something I can do myself? Tell me how please.

The thing is, I have an HP pavilion and there's a million pieces. I can try, but I just need some steps.

Thanks

If the cpu core area is clean, you only need one drop of thermal paste in the center. You can install the heatsink and let the pressure spread out the paste, or use a single edge razor blade or business card to spread it yourself. Too much paste is worse than not enough. A thin layer barely visible is ideal. If the laptop is together and posts for a few minutes, I would wait for your neighbor or someone else to fix it. I've got twenty years experience building computers, but I hesitate to take apart any laptop unless I have no choice. Too many fine wires and connectors.