Sign in with
Your question

Active DP to DVI conversion

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 9, 2011 8:13:21 PM

Hi there - I have been playing around recently with eyefinity but have some issues in terms of connectivity.

Although I have 3 monitors (2 with DVI) I wanted to change these to units with VGA only.

This presents me a problem in that the Active DP is to DVI not VGA.....so the question is can this signal be converted using an adaptor?....my hunch is no unless there is a specific requirement to retain the signal conversion.

Any advice would be great

Thanks in advance....

More about : active dvi conversion

February 9, 2011 11:40:09 PM

voipboy said:
Hi there - I have been playing around recently with eyefinity but have some issues in terms of connectivity.

Although I have 3 monitors (2 with DVI) I wanted to change these to units with VGA only.

This presents me a problem in that the Active DP is to DVI not VGA.....so the question is can this signal be converted using an adaptor?....my hunch is no unless there is a specific requirement to retain the signal conversion.

Any advice would be great

Thanks in advance....

Going from DVI to VGA just requires the DVI (white) to VGA (blue) adapter and a VGA cord from the adapter (plugged into the DVI outs on the video card) to the VGA connections on the monitors.

Is it that you only have the DP connections available on your video card? I guess I don't understand the issue?
February 10, 2011 6:33:49 AM

Hi thanks for the reply...

No the issue is that I have a HD5770 which has 2 x DVI / 1 x DP / 1 x HDMI.

All the monitors will be VGA so I have 2 using converters to DIV

The one into DP currently is running using an Active DP to DVI....however this need to be converted to VGA. When I tried using a simple DVI to VGA converter I lost all signal - Im guessing this is to do with the 'Active' part of the adaptor.

What I need to look at is if there is any specific converter to allow this to work without me having to buy an expensive Active DP to VGA converter.

Hope this clarifies
February 10, 2011 11:36:49 AM

Yeah. You can get a couple of different DP to VGA converters on newegg for $25(USD). Not too bad?
!