Power supply doesn't connect to mobo

wagger

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
I just got an Ausu M4A88TD-V EVO motherboard. My old power supply had a 20pin power cable so I thought what the hell I'll get a new power supply as well. I bought a generic 600W "PS-200" power supply (for those familiar with CanadaComputers its the 'iCan' brand).

Now I don't know much about hardware, but I had assumed the power supplies were kind of universal. To my surprise, when I went to connect the 8pin black-and-yellow cable from the power supply into the EATX12V connector on the motherboard, I was met with resistance. It did not fit. However I noticed that one column of pins could be detached from the 8pin cluster, leaving 6pins in total. When I went to plug this into the connector it fit.

This makes no sense. I know that older motherboards EATX12V operated on a 4pin basis, and the new ones on 8. So why would this power supply leave you with the option of 6? I noticed that the 6pin cable's orientation head was identical to another 6pin cable.

What exactly are these 6pin cables for? Is it ok to plug the 6pin yellow-black cable into the EATX12V connector?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wagger

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
Jesus Christ I'm a moron.....

When I went to screw the power supply into its place one of many disarrayed cables got stuck somewhere.

That hidden cable was a 8pin power cable that fits beautifully into the EATX12V connector.

Sorry to waste everyones time

NO.

The "6+2" pin connector is for video cards.

It is wired differently from the CPU power plug. Interchanging one will result in shorting 12 volt directly to ground. This is undesirable.