MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II (CF) / ASUS P8P67 Pro (compatible?)

Edge2500K

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Ok so I've been building my new rig for a little while now,

case: FT02B
psu: Corsair AX750
mobo: ASUS P8P67 Pro
cpu: i7-2600K
cpu hsf: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 (8-8-8-24 1.5v)
ssd1: Micro Center 64GB (ADATA Flash + Sandforce 2nd Gen Controller)
ssd2: Intel X25-M 120GB

and I've just been comnmpletely stuck on what to do for GPU. I'd most likely be playing medium graphics demanding games, watching movies with it etc, likely at 1920 x 1080/1200. Though, the thought of being able to run some seriously demanding, visually stunning games across 3 monitors is very appealing and I'd like to be capable of doing so.

It basically came down to GTX 560 Ti SLi (really like the low power efficiency etc, decent performance), and the HD 6950 2GB in Crossfire (this would likely give me a little more bang per buck and performance as the red team option). Also I'm open to any advice or opinions, I've been trying to find some comparative reviews between any GTX 560 Ti 2GB versions vs the HD 6950 2GB. Curious if the 2GB would help push the GTX 560 Ti up to par with the 6950 or even better.

My more specific reason for posting is about clearance compatibility. If I wanted to crossfire 2 MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II's, would they fit nicely on my ASUS P8P67 Pro in my FT02B case and still have room for a nice sound card later on? More concerned about the mobo than the case.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I have one 6950 Twin Frozer and I love it it never ever goes past 65c with what ever game I throw at it and thats with a OC of 925core 1400mem. I had an unlocked 6950 flashed to 6970 and it was hot but performed well. This one at that clock performs beter wile being cool and quiet. And I would thing if your running one screen majin would be correct in saying it might be overkill. But if you think you would like to try 3 screens I would say this card is the way to go. Your PSU is fine for 2 of them. You should only spend $15-30 more after rebates and the performance will be way higher than the 560ti's now but more importantly for future games that could be more demanding. IMO

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
I have one 6950 Twin Frozer and I love it it never ever goes past 65c with what ever game I throw at it and thats with a OC of 925core 1400mem. I had an unlocked 6950 flashed to 6970 and it was hot but performed well. This one at that clock performs beter wile being cool and quiet. And I would thing if your running one screen majin would be correct in saying it might be overkill. But if you think you would like to try 3 screens I would say this card is the way to go. Your PSU is fine for 2 of them. You should only spend $15-30 more after rebates and the performance will be way higher than the 560ti's now but more importantly for future games that could be more demanding. IMO

Solution

Edge2500K

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Odds are in the near future I will be adding either a really nice monitor capable of 120hz when prices come down, or 3 decent monitors to run together. Speaking of, could someone elaborate on what would be required to game across 3 monitors with a crossfire rig without hiccups or screen tears. I've heard a little about having to use display ports with adapters. I haven't looked into the subject very much yet.

cburke82 do you think that card would fit easily in crossfire on an ASUS P8P67 Pro and leave room for a sound card?

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Seems there are a few models with that code. I can say with this card VS a sealed card, if you have space for a side case fan this card is more open. So the extra fan will help cool. on my mobo the 2 PCI-e slots are real close so im sure the 2 cards would fit fine just not sure about adding a sound card gues it depends on what sound card.

Edge2500K

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
So is anyone out there running dual GPUs equivalent to the size of the 6950 and still able to put in a sound card? For example an ASUS Xonar Essence STX or equivalent. Not exactly decided at this time on which sound card I'll be getting, as I want to give the p8p67 pro on-board a shot, but I am doubtful when it comes to on-board sound. Especially if I'm going so far for visuals as to crossfire/sli 2 mid-high GPUs. Definitely want sound to match.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Do you have some crazy speaker setup or 7.1 surround for your gaming needs. Or just concerned with sound in movies? Because for movies you should use a seperate Audio system and in that case you can rout the hdmi sound through a nice audio system and it should sound great.

Edge2500K

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
"Crazy 7.1 speaker setup" Not yet, but if I end up getting triple monitors going I figure a nice 5.1-7.1 is in order to keep everything equal. Clarity and quality of sound is more important to me than anything, as well as the juice to bump it. I may also instead of triple monitors run a 2nd display into a projector or something, or maybe both! 3-monitor display looks so fun. Beefing up living room entertainment. I'd rather keep everything together as 1 unit as much as possible.

From what I read the 6900 series has vastly improved on crossfire scaling, nice lil perk for the bang:$ if that's substantially true.

Mmm.. Can you guys recommend some top 3~ Blu-Ray burners? ie, 1) the best most capable 2) best bang:$ value drive 3) a nice drive that'll get it all done for cheaper without sacrificing too much quality. Quality/Durability/Functionality are most important.

For watching Blu-rays, burning them occasionally, etc etc.

Edge2500K

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
Well this thread has gotten a little off track and after a little researching and staring at my motherboard, I am almost 100% certain that not only can you fit a crossfire of 6950's on there, but an additional PCI Express 2.0 1x slot sound card will as well fit as it would be located just above your first GPU card. The actual real problem I noticed was that the 2nd video card PCI-E 2.0 16x slot might not actually sit flush in terms of alignment with the case's rear grill, or in the FT02B's case, top. I'm going to likely order one card and make sure it will fit in this slot before buying 2 and CFing it up. Thank you all for your help. Still curious about some of the best Blu-Ray burners.