Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card or motherboard?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 9, 2011 10:42:29 PM

Hello,

I am trying to determine if my graphics card is bad or my motherboard. The graphics card is connected to my monitor through the DVI port. The problem is that there is no signal, there is nothing on my moniter and it goes straight to sleep.

When I power it on it makes the usual sounds when it starts up. I dont have another computer to test it with.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - Graphics card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - motherboard

Edit,

I tried to start it again and it showed the boot screen and then the moniter went to sleep. I am starting to think that it is the graphics card.
a c 128 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
February 10, 2011 1:20:12 AM

Boxinguru said:
I tried to start it again and it showed the boot screen and then the moniter went to sleep. I am starting to think that it is the graphics card.

It could be the video card, but if you have the resources, you could rule out a monitor issue. Have you tried hooking the PC up to another monitor or an HDTV with a DVI input?

The reason I ask...

I had a cheap westinghouse monitor go bad on me and it would just eventually failed to recognize an input signal altogether. The problem started as every once in a while and gradually increased over time until it just stopped altogether. I reseated the graphics card a few times thinking it was the problem. Then I plugged the PC into many other monitors and found it worked just fine on every other monitor. Then I took my monitor around to my other PCs and found I had the same problem with the other PCs and that monitor.
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
February 10, 2011 1:38:45 AM

Could be a driver issues, power issues, monitor issue, cable issue, or a graphics card issue really.

We need to rule out some of those.

Try using onboard graphics. If those work, its not a monitor or cable issue.
m
l
Related resources
!