Hanns G 28 inch display problem

jvanlaar

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
I have a Hanns G 28" along with a and ATI 5850 card running in Windows 7 64 bit. Periodically my monitor displays a ghost image to the right of object and text ... the intensity of this ghosting image is increased for darker color ... particularly black. Recently I am also able to see diaganol lines moving from the top right corner of the screen to the lower left corner of the screen.

I have been unable to determine the problem. Sometimes if I completely power down my system for awhile and turn it back on, the problems are gone .... but reappear eventually after a undetermined time.

I guess for starters, where might be the place to look for the problem...

Graphics card, monitor, OS setting?

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Thank you.

linh6496

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
In order to find out which faulty component it is, just get another monitor to test and also another graphics card. If changing monitor fixes it then it's a broken monitor, if changing GPU and it fixes it, then a broken GPU. Simple

jvanlaar

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Yes I could have and should have done that off the bat, but I thought someone might have had the identical problem. :)

Anyway, I did the swapping. I have an identical Hann G 28, so it was easy enough. Here is what happended ....

I plugged in the replacement monitor and everything looked good. I then plugged in the old monitor again, and everything looked good as well.

This is starting to track with what I saw before. Whenever I had the problem I would start by turning things off and rebooting. This did not normally solve the problem. So then I would unplug everything and clean everything. This would normally solve the problem .... but now I surmise it is not because I cleaned things .... it is because I actually unplugged the monitor instead of turning it off.

I think what is happening is that over time a 'charge' builds up in the monitor or the vid card, vid driver, or other software 'sets' something in the monitor that does not get reset by turning it off. However, if I physically remove all power by unplugging it ..... problem solved ... well at least until it happens again...which has not been very often.

Anyway, I like Hann 28 when it work, but I won't be buying Hann in the future .... support seems non-existent unless you want to call China .... which I did not do ...dunno maybe they could have helped.

kaibil

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
My Hanns G 28 is a piece of Chinesse $#1t. when there is no activity it goes off (by itself) and takes 24 hrs to turn on. Once it is on, it flickers for an hour after it warms up. I have a smaller dell 21 inch that never gives trouble. The problem is not the video/graphic card; it is the amazing quality of chinesse technology. i am pretty sure the middle guy paid $35.00 for the 28" and sold it to us for $200.00.