How to upgrade hp pavillion \ to ati hd 4670

natehinn

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Hello,
i have a hp pav. a6000. Just got a ati hd 4670. i have a 600w power supply. i am stumped. when i put the card into my pci slot, it boots up i get no display whatsoever? any help?

natehinn

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
K. There is no 4 prong connections or anything. I just power it off, install the graphics card into the pci slot. When I try to boot it up to install the drivers etc, I get nothing. Just a black screen. Ive tried to install the drivers first without the card in, but it wont let me, as there is no card... I might add, that I have tried both connections to connect my display, both to the ati card, and the onboard display. Neither will bring up a display.

linh6496

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
OK. Lemme try, take out the 4670 so the computer returned to its original state, and then plug in your monitor using the IGP. If that brings back your monitor, it could mean that you need to turn the IGP off. That's all I can really say right now as it is hard to help over the internet without any visual

natehinn

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
One step closer. My display isnt shutting off now because its not thinking that nothing is attached. do i need to connect it to the norm igp port to download and setup the drivers before swithing the display to the new gc?

natehinn

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
i tried booting it connected to the hd4670, the first boot my monitor recognized something because it turned on, but just black screen. im gonna try as admin, see if it makes a diff. i am perplexed. the amd tech said it was cuz my power supply wasnt enough, so i bought a 600. but it looks as thought thats not it. he also said it should boot fine with the hd4670 connected and my cable pluugged into the igp, but it looks like he was wrong.. or were missin something..

natehinn

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
see thats the problem. I follow that to a t. but i get no display. should it be connected to the hd or igp? great, now its giving me an error when i go into safemode saying i need the boot disc or whatever....

natehinn

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
no it wont turn my display on with it. i plugged it back into igp. now its saying windows failed to start missing req hardware etc....i try to start normall but nada....just lags on the loading screen. when i connect to the hd4670 it doesnt even recognize its connected...now i cant even turn it on, and i dont have a boot disc! great!

linh6496

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
Sorry man Im just trying to help but ended up causing this mess! If everything was perfect, the HD 4670 should have gotten recognised even without disabling the IGP but it turned out like this. We need more people in the thread

natehinn

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Ok, so the Hd4670 works, i am getting display out of it, however I am still getting the same windows error, and it times out on the loading screen. does anyone know how to get an installation disc burned?