6950 problems?

454xalucard

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
So, I just got my 2GB 6950 today, and I'm having a couple problems with it.

1. Whenever my multisampling up past x4 (In WoW at least,) I start getting this kind of static. This also happened when I turned the AA up in Bad company 2.

2. In WoW I noticed a significant decrease in performance since installing the 6950. I have CCC installed and it seems to be working. My old card was a GTS 250 and I usually got about 60 FPS on average with maximum settings.
With the new card my fps jumps around from 25-70. (Maybe it's just a problem to do with WoW?)
IN BFBC2 however the performance was greatly increased.

Any ideas on why this would be happening? I haven't overclocked anything yet, everything is stock.

It's kind of hard to see in the picture, but along the railings in the top right, it gets really bad when I move around.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

losolo112

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011
I got the 6950 about a week ago and ran into the same problem. Benchmarked against my HD 5830 and the 5830 won by a mile. Even though both cards were ATI/AMD I had to uninstall CCC, use a driver sweeper and then download and install a new copy of CCC with APP. Now it works fine and I am seeing the gains that I expected.

454xalucard

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010

Did this,
Ran catalyst manager and uninstalled everything.
Manually uninstalled Nvidia drivers
Ran the sweeper and removed everything

Rebooted into safe mode
Ran sweeper again

Rebooted

Reinstalled CCC

Problem is still there though, any other advice? Could I have a faulty card?

454xalucard

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
I'm sorry that I'm reposting this but my problem should be more specifically described this time. Hopefully I can figure something out and not have to return the card.

So as a recap, I got a 6950 recently and in certain games there's a very bad static problem.

I tried 4 times using a sweeper to remove all drivers etc. Then following with a reinstall of CCC, however no luck yet.

Here's a video which should illustrate my problem more accurately than the screenshot I had before. (You should watch it in 1080p, the static is much more noticeable.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W49VVCingg8

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
IT happens in some games because each game places a different load on various components.

What is the temperature of the card? Use GPUz to look at it. This may be a PSU issue also. If temps are normal I would get it swapped out

xmaster408

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012
I just bought a HIS Radeon HD 6950 Iceq X Turbo 2Gb and I am having similar problems in a lot of games. I thought it was a faulty card to so I RMA'd it and got a new one, but it still does it. The new card runs 10C lower at idle and under load, but I still have this issue. I am going to try doing the driver sweeper thing like Losolo suggested.

TRENDING THREADS