Looking to add memory to cup - need assistance

salthawk86

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Hello,
I am not a computer wiz so please be kind in your response. I appreciate any quidence. I would like to add memory to my computer but I am not sure how to tell what my computer will accept. This is the info I took off the System Properties page:
IBM Think Centre
Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 cpu 2.8GHz
2.79 GHz, 0.98 GB of RAM
Windows XP, Version 2002, Service Pack 3

My computer just can't keep up with general internet usage and I would like to just add memory if possible instead of buying a new pc.

Thank you for your time.

eggbrook

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Alright, with a machine as old as yours is. The machine can only do so much. If you were to add another gig of ram it wouldn't improve performance as much as you think. Pentium 4 is a very old processor. They came out in the early to mid 2000s. I would highly suggest that you begin saving for a new computer. They are not very expensive, even 500 dollars would get you a system that puts yours to shame. Your cpu only uses one core of processing power, today most cpus have four cores. You will not regret the upgrade. Best of Luck

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
First, you should check whether your RAM is the bottleneck. When your computer becomes slow, open up Task Manager, to the tab with the graphs. Is CPU usage or memory usage hitting 100% or close to?