Hyper 212+ vs Noctua NH-D14

kilerz

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
hi, i currently use an i7 2600k and when overclocked to 4.2ghz it can reach temps north of 90 deg, so im debating either getting a hyper 212+ or a noctua. I figure that the noctua should be much better considering how easily the cpu temps rise. I use a Sigma Windstorm case, and just want to make sure that it fits. IS the Noctua really that much better, its only $30 more on newegg, and it appears to be one of the best for air OC

mekunekud

Distinguished
May 27, 2011

The Noctua is the best air cooler out there. If you can spare the extra $30 then go for it.

The Hyper 212+ is just an amazing cooler for the price and is fully capable of keeping a i7 cool at 4.2ghz.

Take into account that this also means you require a case with a fairly good airflow since no matter what cooler you use, if you have a bad case that doesnt circulate well, you will just blow warm air onto your CPU even with the best cooler.

I also hope that is farenheit because 90 celsius means you should clean your board, case and reset your chip since even on stock cooler that sounds too high for the Sandy Bridge chips, even underload.

FoldingZebra

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
I have the Noctua NH-D14 on an AMD Phenom II x4 OC to 4.2 GHz and under max heat testing it hits 54c gaming it barely hits 40c. Amazing cooler. I know nothing about the 212.

Edit: According to my research before buying the Noctua, I read it has better cooling than the Corsair self-contained liquid cooling and is on par with 2x120 rad cpu only liquid cooling.

mekunekud

Distinguished
May 27, 2011

That's about right. The Noctua is amazing for what you pay as long as you have the case to withhold the beast.

kilerz

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

Its definately Celsius i use both Real temp and Cpu temp, both can say 90c When under 100% load, for example stress testing using occt. I use the Sigma Windod storm, i have a rear top exhaust fan, and Two top Exhaust, unfortunately i dont have a side intake fan because the stock one has this loud hissing sound, so i need to replace that with probably a scythe or similar, and figure out a way to either put another side fan, or raise my computer and put a bottom intake.

I have a mid tower case, so i think it should fit, but im not so sure, the board/ cpu are verry clean, nearly no dust ( same with stock heatsink/fan) i installed it less than 2 months ago.

Also, as for the heat issue, right now my top exhaust fans have one of those sound dampeners above them, so i think thats also preventing the air to easily vent out., any suggestions on fan placement for maximum airflow, and silence?

TRENDING THREADS