Sign in with
Your question

BSOD WHY ME!!!

Last response: in CPUs
July 17, 2011 7:47:07 AM

Hello,I read somewhere cleaning around the heat sink for dust would help my pc run cooler so I did just that. But I did a Bonehead Move and pulled the heat sink out and the chip came out with it I placed the same chip back locked it back in place and now I`m dealing with a at least 3 BSOD a day My pc is a Acer Aspire M3100 AMD anthlon 64X2 dual core processor 5000+ it came with vista but I up graded to windows 7

More about : bsod

a b à CPUs
July 17, 2011 10:09:28 AM

I am surprised that the CPU came out with the heatsink. That should not happen if the CPU is locked in properly.

It is possible that you damaged the CPU or socket in the process. Maybe broke a pin?

Did you clean off the old thermal material and apply new thermal material before replacing the heatsink? If you are running with the old thermal material, or none at all, then the heatsink won't be working as effectively. Perhaps you are running hot and you are BSODing because of the heat? (That would be unusual - thermal issues don't normally produce a BSOD)
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2011 2:54:36 PM

That's why you use compressed air to blow the dust out, not pull on the heatsink.
Likely you bent or broke off a pin on the cpu. Lesson learned.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2011 3:45:39 PM

compulsivebuilder said:
BSODing because of the heat? (That would be unusual - thermal issues don't normally produce a BSOD)

Actually, BSODs appear so as to prevent any further damage to the components, or in this case, the overheating CPU. But, the problem is , its a hardware. So BSODs will keep ocurring without stopping. So, the problem here is his heat sink. Its damaged. The OP should get a better one.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2011 3:51:39 PM

What makes you think his heatsink is damaged?

The cause likely is overheating caused by not replacing the thermal paste. If you just stuck it back on top of the old dried thermal paste, obviously it isn't making good contact with the heatsink and overheating.

What are your cpu temps when you get the bsod?
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2011 3:58:16 PM

Sorrt, I didn't quite well read the question. So basically, his heatsink isn't damaged and the problem's he's got is most likely the the thermal paste not in good contact with the heatsink ?

@OP, download the HWMonitor to record your temps.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 17, 2011 6:31:14 PM

Either that or he broke/bent a pin when the cpu came out.
m
l
July 18, 2011 1:51:11 AM

The Temps range from 46-53 I use fan speed to watch them I will try the paste; I checked the pins and they look just fine I used a magnifying glass to look them over. This is the first major error since I bought my computer 4 yrs. ago all problems started that day when the cpu left the motherboard. And thanks for the replies
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 18, 2011 3:18:17 AM

Question: Whats the error code the system reports after a BSOD? Should help narrow down whats going on.

In all likeyhood, you have a bent pin. Still, if the CPU WAS damaged, I'd expect more then one BSOD per day. Maybe is something minor, like power saving? [which can be disabled].
m
l
July 18, 2011 5:43:24 AM

Thanks for the replies I have been trying to fix this problem for a couple of weeks now and I am tired I`m just going to take it to a repair shop when I get some extra cash..
m
l
!