Monitor small waves when playing games

pk38555

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Hello,
I just built my PC in a weak ago, and I noticed a problem. When I play games, i see horizontal waves flashing on the monitor and the images, especially in the grey color. And after I close the game the screen becomes normal again. I am pretty sure its not the monitor's problem because I used my laptop to tested the monitor. Now I think the problem is either the power supply or the graphic card.
My pc spec: i5 2500k
asus p8p67 le
MSI 5670
Corsair CX 430 Watt 80+
WD Black 750gb
Please help me, is it because my power supply can support those components, or because my graphic card doesnt get enough power just come the vga cord to the monitor? thanks a lot!

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
There is no power flowing down the VGA cable, just signal.

What you describe sounds more like interference than a lack of power. It could, conceivably be power-related, but I'd think about interference first.

If you can, try your machine on someone else's monitor. Either borrow their monitor, or take your computer over to their place, and try it there. If you see the waves on their monitor, then I'd look at the video card first. If you don't see the waves, then I'd look at your VGA cable, then your monitor.

pk38555

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

It happens right away when I start the game. I think it also happens when I am not playing game, but I can only see it under certain color, like dark greyish color. thx

pk38555

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

I connect the pc to another 42in TV, and it works perfectly with the same cable. And I connected the laptop top to my 22in monitor, it still works perfectly.... But when I connect pc to 22in monitor, i still see the waves... so what could be the problem? I am so confused right now.... plz help T.T thanks....

pk38555

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

thanks a lot man, I got a DVI cable and it now works like a charm.... thanks a lot again.... stupid vga cable.....