Is my RAM "doomed"??

Status
Not open for further replies.

deiu99

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
Hi guys,

So, in the last couple of days, I had problems with my PC, really frustrating I may say :). So like 3-4 weeks ago I bought a new mobo(asus p5g41t-m lx), RAM(Kingmax 4gb ddr3 1333mhz) and a new cpu(pentium dual core e5700 3.0ghz), so the video card ( nvidia geforce 8500gt 256mb ddr3) is the old one. Here was the problem: the system started to crash, I got lots of BSOD`s, freezes, and all these randomly, while playing Skyrim, while watching a youtube video etc... so first I suspected Ntune, I removed it but nothing, then I removed more programs, I cleaned registry, I updated with the latest drivers but nothing. So, then I started to suspect my video card, but surprize.... NOT, I tested it on other PC and it works like a charm!! The real "guilty" here I guess is the RAM memory. Here are my memtest results (and it only past 14 mins):

tell me if this Ram have any chance or I send it to warranty... as you see, the memory runs at 400mhz because of that stupid ratio CPU FSB- RAM FREQUVENCY, I guess that have nothing to do with the errors? help me :D

specs:
CPU: pentium dual core E5700 dual core 3.0ghz
MOBO: asus p5g41t-m lx
RAM: 4gb ddr3 1333mhz( work at 400mhz :( ) kingmax
VID card: Geforce Nvidia 8500gt 256mb ddr3
PSU: 450W

minidump: http://www.mediafire.com/?3avn9zainzwh6ni

Solution
My apologies for misunderstanding that you only have one memory module. I thought you had a couple. Ooops. :)

Based on what you typed just above, I will go back to one of my earlier suspicions: PSU. It's old-ish and given that when it's on a long time it goes "flaky" leads me to think that. More over, as you just said, you've tested the other parts... at this point I can only deduce it's the PSU.

If you had a chance to borrow another PSU to test, before buying one, that would be ideal... If not, buy from a company that has a good return policy, just in case the problems don't go away with a new PSU...

deiu99

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

yes, I tryied. The system works well, very well, but then suddently boom, blue screen or crash....

max40watt

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
You'll want to go through the normal memory testing steps.

Take out all but one stick of ram, run memtest. Run memtest on each slot, one at a time with one stick of ram. Run each stick of ram, one at a time.

Do you get errors with every stick of ram or just one/two? Do you get errors on every slot or just one/two? This will help you pinpoint the problem as a ram issue, motherboard slot problem, or compatibility issue between the two.

deiu99

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

here: Kingmax 4GB, DDR3, 1333MHz, PC10600 , I`m running Windows 7 64bit and Windows 7 32bit in dual boot because I don`t have drivers for my tv tunner on 64bit. As I sais, there`a a ratio bethween CPU FSB and RAM frequvency (in my case 1:2)
My CPU fsb is 800 and automaticaly my RAM freq is 400mhz :(, and I don`t find any options in bios to change that

deiu99

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

well I have just one stick of ram: Kingmax 4GB, DDR3, 1333MHz, PC10600 I`ll test it on the other slot and I`ll post the results.

frankc123

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Something is right with the memory then, If the memory is DDR3 but the bios is registering DDR2. I am not sure how that is possible since its not even the same pinout. Worse case is use the warranty, try again. Or you can return it and then look at http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5G41TM_LX/#MSL to see what memory has been tested as working. Its hard to help troubleshoot when you cant actually get hands on with the system.

deiu99

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

hehe very strange.... if I test the memory on the onther slot it shows me DDR3 :heink: but it gives me these errors:

second slot with FAILSAFE

second slot without failsafe

when I`m on the "ddr2 slot" with fail safe option enabled, I get no error (when fail safe is disabled I get the errors I reported in the first post of this thread):

maybe memtest doesn not support my chipset, I don`t know!! :(

deiu99

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

nope I mean the slot in which memtest says that my memory is ddr2. If I put the memory in the other slot memtest is seeing it corectly, as DDR3, don`t know why, may be a memtest bug.

deiu99

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

ok, I`ll use the default memory diagnostic tool then I`ll post the results... :D

deiu99

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
oh now I have two MAIN SUSPECTS: memory and the memory slot why? I just done the windows momory diagnostic tool and I got this message :

this image is taken from net :) anyway I got this exact message and I also got a message in windows: "Your computer has a memory problem"

soo, now I`ll found out who is "the guily one", I`ll make another memory test but now I`ll put the stick in the other slot

deiu99

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
oh I just moved the memory on the other slot, ran windows memory diagnostic and no errors!! That means that the RAM memory it`s Ok, but that slot is broken.. right?

deiu99

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

actually I bought it a mounth ago, so I am in warranty period, but I wanna be sure what`s the cause. In my case the memory slot would be broken... I`ll ran again the windows memory diagnose tool just to make sure, but if a slot see my ram as ddr2 and the other slot see ddr3 the slots are faulty... also if on one slot the diagnose program results in a hardware problem (the memory) and on the other slot everything is ok, the memory shoulb be OK
Anyway I guess I`ll send my MOBO to the warranty, I`ll keep you updated about it..

also if I put my memory on the "broken slot" the PC crashes, restarts randomly, whyle playing a game or just on IDLE. Now I`m on "the good one" and it`s working fine, but it might take the other slot`s "illness" so the warranty is the most realible solution right now, don`t you think?

deiu99

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

man, the motherboard has DDR3 slots, but for a unknowned reason, memtest see one of the slot as ddr2 despite the fact it is not. ;)

deiu99

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

I think I was wrong... I removed all the components except: CPU, DVD-RW, MEMORY, I ran memtest and no single error.... here`s what I removed: video card(have no problems, I testede it on another PC and no problem), a tv tunner "tv pvr 878"..... could be the PSU or the tv tunner cause a conflict that cause freezes and those problems....

Status
Not open for further replies.