Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is my RAM "doomed"??

Last response: in Memory
March 25, 2012 10:38:28 PM

Hi guys,

So, in the last couple of days, I had problems with my PC, really frustrating I may say :) . So like 3-4 weeks ago I bought a new mobo(asus p5g41t-m lx), RAM(Kingmax 4gb ddr3 1333mhz) and a new cpu(pentium dual core e5700 3.0ghz), so the video card ( nvidia geforce 8500gt 256mb ddr3) is the old one. Here was the problem: the system started to crash, I got lots of BSOD`s, freezes, and all these randomly, while playing Skyrim, while watching a youtube video etc... so first I suspected Ntune, I removed it but nothing, then I removed more programs, I cleaned registry, I updated with the latest drivers but nothing. So, then I started to suspect my video card, but surprize.... NOT, I tested it on other PC and it works like a charm!! The real "guilty" here I guess is the RAM memory. Here are my memtest results (and it only past 14 mins):

tell me if this Ram have any chance or I send it to warranty... as you see, the memory runs at 400mhz because of that stupid ratio CPU FSB- RAM FREQUVENCY, I guess that have nothing to do with the errors? help me :D 

specs:
CPU: pentium dual core E5700 dual core 3.0ghz
MOBO: asus p5g41t-m lx
RAM: 4gb ddr3 1333mhz( work at 400mhz :(  ) kingmax
VID card: Geforce Nvidia 8500gt 256mb ddr3
PSU: 450W

minidump: http://www.mediafire.com/?3avn9zainzwh6ni

More about : ram doomed

March 25, 2012 10:45:48 PM

I am guessing you tried loading fail-safe's in the motherboard bios?
Score
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 25, 2012 10:54:35 PM

frankc123 said:
I am guessing you tried loading fail-safe's in the motherboard bios?

yes, I tryied. The system works well, very well, but then suddently boom, blue screen or crash....
Score
March 25, 2012 11:08:48 PM

please help me guys... anyone??
Score
March 25, 2012 11:21:35 PM

What version of windows do you have installed. 32 or 64. Double check. Also is this somewhat of a new windows installation?
Score
March 25, 2012 11:34:29 PM

You'll want to go through the normal memory testing steps.

Take out all but one stick of ram, run memtest. Run memtest on each slot, one at a time with one stick of ram. Run each stick of ram, one at a time.

Do you get errors with every stick of ram or just one/two? Do you get errors on every slot or just one/two? This will help you pinpoint the problem as a ram issue, motherboard slot problem, or compatibility issue between the two.
Score
March 26, 2012 12:03:15 AM

Whats the exact model on that memory. Something is right. You are saying DDR3 and memtest is showing ddr2. And the FSB is way off. What version of windows are you running?
Score
March 26, 2012 8:33:40 AM

frankc123 said:
Whats the exact model on that memory. Something is right. You are saying DDR3 and memtest is showing ddr2. And the FSB is way off. What version of windows are you running?

here: Kingmax 4GB, DDR3, 1333MHz, PC10600 , I`m running Windows 7 64bit and Windows 7 32bit in dual boot because I don`t have drivers for my tv tunner on 64bit. As I sais, there`a a ratio bethween CPU FSB and RAM frequvency (in my case 1:2)
My CPU fsb is 800 and automaticaly my RAM freq is 400mhz :( , and I don`t find any options in bios to change that

Score
March 26, 2012 8:35:36 AM

max40watt said:
You'll want to go through the normal memory testing steps.

Take out all but one stick of ram, run memtest. Run memtest on each slot, one at a time with one stick of ram. Run each stick of ram, one at a time.

Do you get errors with every stick of ram or just one/two? Do you get errors on every slot or just one/two? This will help you pinpoint the problem as a ram issue, motherboard slot problem, or compatibility issue between the two.

well I have just one stick of ram: Kingmax 4GB, DDR3, 1333MHz, PC10600 I`ll test it on the other slot and I`ll post the results.
Score
March 26, 2012 2:00:12 PM

Something is right with the memory then, If the memory is DDR3 but the bios is registering DDR2. I am not sure how that is possible since its not even the same pinout. Worse case is use the warranty, try again. Or you can return it and then look at http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5G41... to see what memory has been tested as working. Its hard to help troubleshoot when you cant actually get hands on with the system.
Score
March 26, 2012 2:56:22 PM

frankc123 said:
Something is right with the memory then, If the memory is DDR3 but the bios is registering DDR2. I am not sure how that is possible since its not even the same pinout. Worse case is use the warranty, try again. Or you can return it and then look at http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5G41... to see what memory has been tested as working. Its hard to help troubleshoot when you cant actually get hands on with the system.

hehe very strange.... if I test the memory on the onther slot it shows me DDR3 :heink:  but it gives me these errors:

second slot with FAILSAFE

second slot without failsafe

when I`m on the "ddr2 slot" with fail safe option enabled, I get no error (when fail safe is disabled I get the errors I reported in the first post of this thread):

maybe memtest doesn not support my chipset, I don`t know!! :( 
Score
March 26, 2012 4:15:06 PM

When you say "ddr2 slot" do you mean the second DIMM slot? The second slot away from the cpu...?
Score
March 26, 2012 4:17:13 PM

Also you can use the windows memory test if you just want to double check.
Score
March 26, 2012 6:11:59 PM

frankc123 said:
When you say "ddr2 slot" do you mean the second DIMM slot? The second slot away from the cpu...?

nope I mean the slot in which memtest says that my memory is ddr2. If I put the memory in the other slot memtest is seeing it corectly, as DDR3, don`t know why, may be a memtest bug.
Score
March 26, 2012 6:12:47 PM

frankc123 said:
Also you can use the windows memory test if you just want to double check.

ok, I`ll use the default memory diagnostic tool then I`ll post the results... :D 
Score
March 26, 2012 6:40:16 PM

oh now I have two MAIN SUSPECTS: memory and the memory slot why? I just done the windows momory diagnostic tool and I got this message :

this image is taken from net :)  anyway I got this exact message and I also got a message in windows: "Your computer has a memory problem"

soo, now I`ll found out who is "the guily one", I`ll make another memory test but now I`ll put the stick in the other slot
Score
March 26, 2012 7:12:51 PM

oh I just moved the memory on the other slot, ran windows memory diagnostic and no errors!! That means that the RAM memory it`s Ok, but that slot is broken.. right?
Score
March 26, 2012 7:32:40 PM

Looking like a very good possibility. How long have you had the motherboard? Can you warranty or return it?
Score
March 26, 2012 8:07:54 PM

frankc123 said:
Looking like a very good possibility. How long have you had the motherboard? Can you warranty or return it?

actually I bought it a mounth ago, so I am in warranty period, but I wanna be sure what`s the cause. In my case the memory slot would be broken... I`ll ran again the windows memory diagnose tool just to make sure, but if a slot see my ram as ddr2 and the other slot see ddr3 the slots are faulty... also if on one slot the diagnose program results in a hardware problem (the memory) and on the other slot everything is ok, the memory shoulb be OK
Anyway I guess I`ll send my MOBO to the warranty, I`ll keep you updated about it..

also if I put my memory on the "broken slot" the PC crashes, restarts randomly, whyle playing a game or just on IDLE. Now I`m on "the good one" and it`s working fine, but it might take the other slot`s "illness" so the warranty is the most realible solution right now, don`t you think?
Score
March 26, 2012 9:50:16 PM

Yes, if it was me i would use the warranty for this situation.
Score
March 26, 2012 10:51:54 PM

How does the DDR3 ram work in a DDR2 board with different PIN Layout?
Score
March 27, 2012 8:21:22 AM

mightymaxio said:
How does the DDR3 ram work in a DDR2 board with different PIN Layout?

man, the motherboard has DDR3 slots, but for a unknowned reason, memtest see one of the slot as ddr2 despite the fact it is not. ;) 
Score
March 28, 2012 5:52:12 PM

frankc123 said:
Yes, if it was me i would use the warranty for this situation.

I think I was wrong... I removed all the components except: CPU, DVD-RW, MEMORY, I ran memtest and no single error.... here`s what I removed: video card(have no problems, I testede it on another PC and no problem), a tv tunner "tv pvr 878"..... could be the PSU or the tv tunner cause a conflict that cause freezes and those problems....
Score
March 28, 2012 8:21:28 PM

Could be, just do like you were doing. Start bare and work your way up. If you have a issue go back a step and skip that part and go to the next. You can isolate whats wrong.
Score
March 30, 2012 7:50:27 AM

frankc123 said:
Could be, just do like you were doing. Start bare and work your way up. If you have a issue go back a step and skip that part and go to the next. You can isolate whats wrong.

maann, I tested Memory with all components(including Tv Tunner in) and no errors, and I thought that hey! the problem is solved, but after the PC runned like 6 hours, boom! blue screen of death! But you know what and I never noticed until now? the BSOD`s crashes and freezes occurs after the computer runned for a long time, and then if I restart It again I get Bsod. But in the first hours of use everything is normal, no crashes, no Bods. Also If I ran memtest when I just turned PC on it`s OK. Could that be the PSU? I have my PSU since 21 feb 2008... I looked in it throught some holes and it looks very very dusty inside! :pt1cable: 
Score
March 30, 2012 4:05:19 PM

well first thing that pops in my head is temps. You can get a program like CPU-Z or MBM to monitor your volts and temperatures. You can start it cold ( once its been off for awhile ) and just monitor what happens. Also if you want to try something else you can use driver verifier ( google it for instructions ) to make sure its not a driver fault.
Score
a b } Memory
March 30, 2012 4:38:18 PM

frankc123 said:
well first thing that pops in my head is temps. You can get a program like CPU-Z or MBM to monitor your volts and temperatures. You can start it cold ( once its been off for awhile ) and just monitor what happens. Also if you want to try something else you can use driver verifier ( google it for instructions ) to make sure its not a driver fault.

^ Agreed - sounds very much like heat could be the issue. Aside from monitoring it with the above mentioned apps, you could pull the side of the case off and point a big box fan or oscillating fan on it. If the problems disappear, then you've got a heating/cooling issue to solve.

Also, dust bunnies can be a pain in the rear. Given what you mentioned about the dusty PSU, I say take the system outside and give it a good once over with a can of compressed air.
Score
March 30, 2012 6:53:53 PM

side not i have a extra 12gb of ddr3 memory i am trying to get rid of :) 
Score
April 1, 2012 6:16:15 PM

psaus said:
^ Agreed - sounds very much like heat could be the issue. Aside from monitoring it with the above mentioned apps, you could pull the side of the case off and point a big box fan or oscillating fan on it. If the problems disappear, then you've got a heating/cooling issue to solve.

Also, dust bunnies can be a pain in the rear. Given what you mentioned about the dusty PSU, I say take the system outside and give it a good once over with a can of compressed air.

oh, sorry for delay, I wasn`t home... so
It`s not the heat, my Cpu temp is low(the FAN is clean and OK), 30-33 IDLE and max 60 at HEAVY load, have a average of 40, the Gpu is Ok, on Idle has 50 grades and while playing Skyrim 60-63 grades, I got those GPU temps since I bought the vid card, 2008 and it`s normal . Also my mobo temp never get higher than 35 grades. So I guess the only fulty temp would be the PSU temp.... btw, my pc have both cases removed, and about the PSU, I wasn`t reffering at it`s fan, the inside of the PSU is full of dust, the Fan looks clean from outside but I`ll try to clean it anyway with caution `cause it`s quite dangerous :ouch:  !

all these temps are constant even after long PC usage...
Score
April 1, 2012 6:20:17 PM

frankc123 said:

thank you for your response, I`ll try driver verifier too and I`ll post the results but right now I`m not home.. but anyway I`ll post the results when I`ll be home :sol: 
Score
a b } Memory
April 2, 2012 8:22:04 AM

Definitely don't disassemble your PSU case! Just put the nozzle of compressed air in there and do the best you can.

But rereading this whole thread again, when you tested your system bare and got zero errors, was the test "Windows Diag" or "memtest"? If you only tested Windows Diag, that might have been a false pass. Memtest is much more thorough and the best way to verify things are ok.
I've got a gut feeling we're not past the memory nuances from earlier in the thread. :) 
Score
April 2, 2012 12:01:05 PM

psaus said:
Definitely don't disassemble your PSU case! Just put the nozzle of compressed air in there and do the best you can.

But rereading this whole thread again, when you tested your system bare and got zero errors, was the test "Windows Diag" or "memtest"? If you only tested Windows Diag, that might have been a false pass. Memtest is much more thorough and the best way to verify things are ok.
I've got a gut feeling we're not past the memory nuances from earlier in the thread. :) 

ok, so I wont open the PSU case :sarcastic:  anyway, about the memory, I tested it with windows diag and memtest too and no error. Before that I tested them with windows diag but with memtest too and I got errors but the PC was turned on like 8 hours ago... when I got no errors I just turned the PC ON and then I ran memtest and then windows memory diagnostic... no errors :ouch: 
Score
a b } Memory
April 2, 2012 1:14:37 PM

When memtest showed no errors after "just turning the system on", how long was memtest running (or how many passes did memtest make)?
For some memory errors memtest needs to run for many hours to expose the problem.

BTW, not to get distracted, but what is the make/model of the PSU (and approximate age)?
Score
April 2, 2012 9:44:35 PM

psaus said:
When memtest showed no errors after "just turning the system on", how long was memtest running (or how many passes did memtest make)?
For some memory errors memtest needs to run for many hours to expose the problem.

BTW, not to get distracted, but what is the make/model of the PSU (and approximate age)?

*well memtest made one pass , so if I saw that after 50 minutes I got no error I stopped it (because when I got the errors in memtest they occured in the first 10-15 minutes) Also I goet no errors anymore on windows diagnostic

about the PSU, I can`t check the manufacturer now, I`m not home :(  but all I can say is that I bought it 4 years ago, in February 2008 and have 450w....

UPDATE: My brother called me and told me about another crash, again it occured while the PC was turned ON for a long time

*get no errors after fresh PC start, or in the first hours of PC usage, I didn`t tested it anymore after long pc usage, but I`m sure I`ll get errors.. Can the memory be the cause but only after long time usage?? I`m very confused

and oh, sorry for my crappy english, let me know if there`s anything you can`t understand :sol: 
Score
a b } Memory
April 3, 2012 12:11:00 PM

No need to apologies, I understand you completely. :) 

I do want to point out that memtest can possibly take several hours (and/or several passes) to find an error. The unfortunate thing in my mind is that given the uncertainty of your PSU, memtest could show a RAM failure, yet it's the PSU causing the problem (there's an electrical reason for this, but I'll spare you the boring details :)  ).

I would suggest running memtest for a longer time. Maybe over night or while your at work for a full day.

On another note, do you have access to spare parts to test? Primarily access to a spare PSU? Having spare/borrowed parts can help single out the problem component...
Score
April 3, 2012 7:15:19 PM

psaus said:
No need to apologies, I understand you completely. :) 

I do want to point out that memtest can possibly take several hours (and/or several passes) to find an error. The unfortunate thing in my mind is that given the uncertainty of your PSU, memtest could show a RAM failure, yet it's the PSU causing the problem (there's an electrical reason for this, but I'll spare you the boring details :)  ).

I would suggest running memtest for a longer time. Maybe over night or while your at work for a full day.

On another note, do you have access to spare parts to test? Primarily access to a spare PSU? Having spare/borrowed parts can help single out the problem component...

thank you for your complimet about my english :) 

anyway, I called my Dad and he will let memtest running all the night and then I`ll know for sure if the PSU is the guilty one. If this comes up, I`ll buy another PSU, no need to borrow one ;) 
Score
a b } Memory
April 4, 2012 8:28:43 AM

Let me clarify, if you get RAM errors, I actually suspect that your original RAM/RAM-socket problem might be exposed, as discussed much higher in this thread. But I was saying in my last post that it might not be 100% certain as it could be the PSU instead. This is the main reason to ask if you had access to parts to test/swap. :) 

If errors are seen with all devices installed, I would suggest installing just 1 RAM module in the first socket, and rerun the test. I'm basing this on the statements that DIMM socket 2 is reporting funny things in memtest.
Let us know how this overnight test went. Because if it went completely ok, then :heink: 
Score
April 4, 2012 9:46:49 AM

psaus said:
Let me clarify, if you get RAM errors, I actually suspect that your original RAM/RAM-socket problem might be exposed, as discussed much higher in this thread. But I was saying in my last post that it might not be 100% certain as it could be the PSU instead. This is the main reason to ask if you had access to parts to test/swap. :) 

If errors are seen with all devices installed, I would suggest installing just 1 RAM module in the first socket, and rerun the test. I'm basing this on the statements that DIMM socket 2 is reporting funny things in memtest.
Let us know how this overnight test went. Because if it went completely ok, then :heink: 

*first of all, I have only one RAM module (4gb ddr3 Kingmax), so I made the test, I was planing to leave it overnight but after 11 minutes and 10 seconds the screen freezed, no errors detected yet, the counter freezed also, only the red cross was blinking. This wouldn`t happened If the computer would had a frest start, but the PC was turned on for hours, that`s why the screen freezed.... now I know for sure that this "problem" with PC running a long time is causing these stuffs: restarts and freezes, sometimes Bsods, but what cause this? PSU I guess is the best answer, let me know what you think... ;) 

testing the RAM on slot 1 or slot 2 is the same thing, the only strange thing that happen is that memtest see one of the slot as DDR2 but I guess this is just a "bug" of memtest, otherwise I guess the slots are just fine, all I have to do know is to buy or borrow another PSU and see what happen :) 

I want to clarify that the components are just fine, I tested them, CPU also have no problem, I posted couple posts aboove
Score

Best solution

a b } Memory
April 4, 2012 10:39:10 AM

My apologies for misunderstanding that you only have one memory module. I thought you had a couple. Ooops. :) 

Based on what you typed just above, I will go back to one of my earlier suspicions: PSU. It's old-ish and given that when it's on a long time it goes "flaky" leads me to think that. More over, as you just said, you've tested the other parts... at this point I can only deduce it's the PSU.

If you had a chance to borrow another PSU to test, before buying one, that would be ideal... If not, buy from a company that has a good return policy, just in case the problems don't go away with a new PSU...
April 4, 2012 4:22:48 PM

psaus said:
My apologies for misunderstanding that you only have one memory module. I thought you had a couple. Ooops. :) 

Based on what you typed just above, I will go back to one of my earlier suspicions: PSU. It's old-ish and given that when it's on a long time it goes "flaky" leads me to think that. More over, as you just said, you've tested the other parts... at this point I can only deduce it's the PSU.

If you had a chance to borrow another PSU to test, before buying one, that would be ideal... If not, buy from a company that has a good return policy, just in case the problems don't go away with a new PSU...

you don`t have to apologise man... :D  yes, I`ll borrow another PSU and I`ll test it, thanks for your help, much appreciated, I`ll post back the results when I`ll have the chance to borrow a PSU
Score
April 4, 2012 4:26:20 PM

Best answer selected by deiu99.
Score
a c 146 } Memory
April 4, 2012 6:21:26 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!