Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Graphics card company warranty / support

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 10, 2011 7:55:14 AM

Which graphics card company offers the best warranty and lives up to that warranty. I am looking for names such as EVGA, ASUS, MTI, PNY, etc. Do not even think about recommending XFX!
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2011 8:15:55 AM

XFX are very reputable in terms of warranty and RMA.

EVGA tends to be incredibly good, both very strong warranties with no hassle support.

Asus are also very good. Sapphire are good too.

Can't say i can speak for anything else.
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2011 3:23:58 PM

They are all different for different models. The best way to see the warranty for a specific card is to look at newegg under specifications and at the bottom you will see the warranty terms for that card.

some are 1yr, some 2yr, some 3yr and some lifetime, even from the same company.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 10, 2011 3:25:14 PM

I've owned XFX, MSI and EVGA, all were good.

My first choice is always XFX.
February 23, 2011 12:31:03 PM

Griffolion said:
XFX are very reputable in terms of warranty and RMA.

EVGA tends to be incredibly good, both very strong warranties with no hassle support.

Asus are also very good. Sapphire are good too.

Can't say i can speak for anything else.

Not true! XFX does NOT honor their so called "lifetime warranty" due to a loophole in the warranty language. You must register your card within 30 days. My son purchased a XFX GeForce 9800 GT in early November as a Christmas present for me. By the time I received that gift, the 30 days where up. The card has died, and (big surprise) XFX will not honor their lifetime (really only 30 day) warranty. It is nothing more than "the old bait and switch". They promise the world, but provide nothing. DO NOT TRUST THESE LIARS because in the world of XFX "lifetime" is really only 30 days...
a c 355 U Graphics card
February 23, 2011 3:10:07 PM

wstyszka said:
Not true! XFX does NOT honor their so called "lifetime warranty" due to a loophole in the warranty language. You must register your card within 30 days.

How much time do you want a company to give you to register a product for the warranty?

2 months?

1 year?

5 years?

a b U Graphics card
February 23, 2011 3:33:19 PM

wstyszka said:
Not true! XFX does NOT honor their so called "lifetime warranty" due to a loophole in the warranty language. You must register your card within 30 days. My son purchased a XFX GeForce 9800 GT in early November as a Christmas present for me. By the time I received that gift, the 30 days where up. The card has died, and (big surprise) XFX will not honor their lifetime (really only 30 day) warranty. It is nothing more than "the old bait and switch". They promise the world, but provide nothing. DO NOT TRUST THESE LIARS because in the world of XFX "lifetime" is really only 30 days...

Actually XFX provides a 2 year warranty (from the date of manufacture) if the product is not registered for the Limited lifetime warranty period within the timeframe listed -- 30 day sounds like the card was purchased REFURBISHED as then there is no factory warranty and just the refurbishers warranty (and most refurbishers only offer 30 or 60 days!) -- In which case XFX has nothing to do with the warranty coverage and you'd have the same problem no matter which manufacturer it was (they all sell of returns and rejects to refurbishers who scavange parts from them to repair some that they resell after testing to ensure they work -- but once it is in the refurb market the manufacturer no longer has anything to do with the product and will have the serial # recorded as such and will not honor any warranty on the product. -- Also seeing that it was a 9800 GT ( which was released in 2008) chances are good that even if it was just bought in November 2010 it is not a new factory made product (seeing that they stopped producing them over 2 years ago which is why there is no longer any warranty period left on them !!)

From XFX warranty info :
Quote:
How long does this limited warranty last?

The limited hardware warranty for Graphics Cards lasts for a time period of two years.

If you register the product online at http://www.xfxforce.com/ within 30 days of purchase, your limited warranty will be EXTENDED for the duration of your life. Registration within 30 days of the date of purchase is a condition precedent to receiving the lifetime warranty.***

The limited hardware warranty on all XFX-branded products begins on the date of the packing slip, invoice, or receipt. A copy of the dated original invoice/receipt must be submitted to verify warranty repair or replacement. In circumstances where the transaction record is not available or reasonably verifiable (based on date of manufacture), the warranty period shall begin on the date of manufacture of the product. The warranty period is not extended if we repair or replace a warranted product or any parts. XFX may change the availability of limited hardware warranties, at its discretion, but any changes will not be retroactive.
February 24, 2011 12:06:25 PM

jaguarskx said:
How much time do you want a company to give you to register a product for the warranty?

2 months?

1 year?

5 years?

Why must there be ANY time limit on registering a product for a "lifetime" warranty? As long as you can prove that you are the original owner, and the product was purchased as a factory new (rather than a refurbished) item...
A "lifetime" warranty with a 30 day registration requirement effectively makes it a "30 day" warranty.
February 24, 2011 12:12:56 PM

JDFan said:
Actually XFX provides a 2 year warranty (from the date of manufacture) if the product is not registered for the Limited lifetime warranty period within the timeframe listed -- 30 day sounds like the card was purchased REFURBISHED as then there is no factory warranty and just the refurbishers warranty (and most refurbishers only offer 30 or 60 days!) -- In which case XFX has nothing to do with the warranty coverage and you'd have the same problem no matter which manufacturer it was (they all sell of returns and rejects to refurbishers who scavange parts from them to repair some that they resell after testing to ensure they work -- but once it is in the refurb market the manufacturer no longer has anything to do with the product and will have the serial # recorded as such and will not honor any warranty on the product. -- Also seeing that it was a 9800 GT ( which was released in 2008) chances are good that even if it was just bought in November 2010 it is not a new factory made product (seeing that they stopped producing them over 2 years ago which is why there is no longer any warranty period left on them !!)

From XFX warranty info :
Quote:
How long does this limited warranty last?

The limited hardware warranty for Graphics Cards lasts for a time period of two years.

If you register the product online at http://www.xfxforce.com/ within 30 days of purchase, your limited warranty will be EXTENDED for the duration of your life. Registration within 30 days of the date of purchase is a condition precedent to receiving the lifetime warranty.***

The limited hardware warranty on all XFX-branded products begins on the date of the packing slip, invoice, or receipt. A copy of the dated original invoice/receipt must be submitted to verify warranty repair or replacement. In circumstances where the transaction record is not available or reasonably verifiable (based on date of manufacture), the warranty period shall begin on the date of manufacture of the product. The warranty period is not extended if we repair or replace a warranted product or any parts. XFX may change the availability of limited hardware warranties, at its discretion, but any changes will not be retroactive.

This was not a REFURBISHED item. It was brand new, factory fresh, purchased from Tiger Direct.
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 12:23:31 PM

Wow i kinda regret mentioning XFX now :|

I must say wstyszka, a lot of other double lifetime companies operate the same thing. You must register within a given set of days to attain that otherwise you have a regular X year warranty. Also, just looking at XFX's products and blurbs, the 30-day condition is stated pretty clearly, i definitely understood it when i got my 5970 from them.
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 12:53:58 PM

wstyszka said:
This was not a REFURBISHED item. It was brand new, factory fresh, purchased from Tiger Direct.

In that case I would contact Tigerdirect and inform them of the problem and find out how they can sell a product that is already passed the 2 year factory warranty period as new (evidently the card has not been produced by XFX for over 2 years and their warranty period begins on the date of manufacture and there should be some date marking on the card showing when it was made) -- If you explain the situation to them calmly they might be able to make an exception for you and take the return ( I know that Newegg extended their return policy during the christmas season to allow at least 30 days after the holidays for items bought during the shopping season but not sure if Tigerdirect provided the same type of extension or not.) In either case tigerdirect should not be selling product that has been in their facility for longer than 2 years that is no longer covered by a factory warranty or should at least state that may be the case on their site.

If you are willing to continue to call both companies and persistently ask for a remedy eventually you should find someone at one or the other that will make an exception for you and take the thing back. You just need to be persistent and continue to ask for their boss if\when they say there is nothing they can do and keep a log of all the calls made and who you talked with. If neither will take responsibility there is always the option of filing a small claim case in your local court. (I think Tigerdirect would rather replace the card with a substitute instead of get publicity for the fact they are selling stuff that has been in their warehouse for over 2 years as new !) - that said you might contact one of the tv news shows that have people that report on this type of thing and get them involved (figure a call from them usually gets something done)
February 24, 2011 12:58:02 PM

Griffolion said:
Wow i kinda regret mentioning XFX now :|

I must say wstyszka, a lot of other double lifetime companies operate the same thing. You must register within a given set of days to attain that otherwise you have a regular X year warranty. Also, just looking at XFX's products and blurbs, the 30-day condition is stated pretty clearly, i definitely understood it when i got my 5970 from them.

A commedy of mistakes makes this possible. I did not purchase the product - I received it as a christmas present. No where on the box does it say anything about needing to register the product. I had no need to visit the XFX web site (or the retailer's web site)until the card failed, and by then it was too late. Truely a case of "live and learn". In fact my new EVGA card has the same requirement for 30 day registration. I completed this step within the required time period this time!
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2011 1:06:28 PM

We all have bad experiences i guess, but XFX are generally a good card maker, the majority of my cards have been XFX and i've never had a problem.
February 24, 2011 1:38:42 PM

JDFan said:
In that case I would contact Tigerdirect and inform them of the problem and find out how they can sell a product that is already passed the 2 year factory warranty period as new (evidently the card has not been produced by XFX for over 2 years and their warranty period begins on the date of manufacture and there should be some date marking on the card showing when it was made) -- If you explain the situation to them calmly they might be able to make an exception for you and take the return ( I know that Newegg extended their return policy during the christmas season to allow at least 30 days after the holidays for items bought during the shopping season but not sure if Tigerdirect provided the same type of extension or not.) In either case tigerdirect should not be selling product that has been in their facility for longer than 2 years that is no longer covered by a factory warranty or should at least state that may be the case on their site.

If you are willing to continue to call both companies and persistently ask for a remedy eventually you should find someone at one or the other that will make an exception for you and take the thing back. You just need to be persistent and continue to ask for their boss if\when they say there is nothing they can do and keep a log of all the calls made and who you talked with. If neither will take responsibility there is always the option of filing a small claim case in your local court. (I think Tigerdirect would rather replace the card with a substitute instead of get publicity for the fact they are selling stuff that has been in their warehouse for over 2 years as new !) - that said you might contact one of the tv news shows that have people that report on this type of thing and get them involved (figure a call from them usually gets something done)

JDfan - Thank you for your insights. I appreciate the thought that you have given to this matter. I must explain quite red faced however that the card was gifted in December of 2008, not 2010. Tigerdirect was in no way doing anything shady or improper.

Ordinarily I would never have expected any sort of warranty coverage for a two + year old electronic product. It was just the "lifetime warranty" claim on the Tigerdirect web site which got my hopes up. I only explained the November purchase - Christmas reception of the product to highlight the fact that 30 day registration was not possible in any case.

As far as working with the XFX support staff and/or escalating my problem to the support person's boss... Not possible either. The XFX support person who I was comunicating with will not answer my request for his bosses name. In fact, the last thing that XFX support said to me was "The card is currently out of warranty at this time and we won`t be able to warranty the card since it is currently out of warranty."
!