Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 10, 2011 8:15:04 AM

1000 Watts Coolermaster silent pro power supply
Asus P7P55 Intel Motherboard
DDR3 - 1333 8GB Kingston RAM
2 x 4890 ATI Radeon Crossfire cards both DDR5 1 Gig Memory
Intel i7 860 CPU
Windows 7 64bit

I have added corsair liquid cooling to my CPU.

My problem is that my system will hang when playing games ONLY. It may take 15 minutes. It may take 2 hours. It may even not hang at all during the whole time I am playing.

Everything will stop.... then 10 seconds later there will be these strange stripes on the screen and the the blue memory dump screen will come up and the PC will reboot...

I do not think temp is the issue as the PC sometimes do not hang at all.

It hangs in all games mostly - even low requirement games -- the other evening I paused Napoleon Total War and ate dinner and while I was eating the system hanged.

I have upgraded my Power supply to 1000W, I have added liquid cooling to my CPU. I have all the drivers and have installed windows over and over again.

Both cards work 100% if I remove the other one. There is nothing wrong with the cards in my opinion.

What else can I do? Please help as I have spent a lot of money to make my PC faster. My BIOS settings are all on auto etc.

More about : crossfire

February 10, 2011 10:34:35 AM

You have a ton of power and ruled that out as the cause.

Are you OC'ing anything (including manually setting the clocks for your RAM or OC'ing in CCC?)? Have you always had the 2nd card or did you add it recently? Have you tried using GPUz to monitor the temps?

When you aren't gaming, you're not using crossfire. You've narrowed it to a problem when the crossfire and/or 3d processing kicks in? The PC never reboots on you or gives you problems when you're in Windows?
February 10, 2011 11:07:27 AM

+1^ Use GPU-Z's sensor tab to monitor the temps, put a tick in "Log to File"

Take one card out and test the other and vise versa... just to check that both cards work fine on their own.
Related resources
February 10, 2011 11:57:01 AM

Both cards work perfectly on their own - done that.

Everything is at its defaults in the BIOS which means "auto" for all volts etc.

Yes, Windows works perfectly fine. Temps of CPU is 40 degrees max and the two cards 55 nad 65 degrees celcius.

To what should I adjust my BIOS temps manually?
February 10, 2011 12:18:58 PM

Manual adjustment is not necessary. I just wanted to make sure there was nothing going on that could create a problem with stability.

Have you always had the two graphics cards or did you add one recently?
February 11, 2011 5:19:27 AM

I added one recently and thats when the issue started. It is therefore only in crossfire. I adjusted the RAM voltages to 1.5V yesterday evening and gamed for about 2 hours without any hangs. So it seems to be working "touch wood". I will report back on Monday after playing again this weekend.
February 11, 2011 2:28:36 PM

No man!! It still hangs. In the blue dumpscreen I get the ATIKMPAG error with a lot of numbers and the word "datestamp".

Any ideas????

PS:- Thanks for the help so far
February 11, 2011 2:38:56 PM

ubercake said:
Manual adjustment is not necessary. I just wanted to make sure there was nothing going on that could create a problem with stability.

Have you always had the two graphics cards or did you add one recently?

Dude, I posted a new respnse. I get the bluescreen saying ATIKMPAG. does this mean anything to you?

Vuc, I looked forward to a nice weekend of gaming

Thanks
February 11, 2011 3:43:01 PM

So you're not just getting lockups, you're getting bluescreens?

What driver version are you using?
February 14, 2011 9:55:06 AM

The newest drivers.

I have used 5 different drivers before. I dowonloaded this driver from ATI's website a week ago.

When the PC locks up everything freezes for 5 seconds and the the blue screen and rest follows this.... Everytime. Firstly the sound get stuck and then I know.
February 14, 2011 1:49:01 PM

Use the 11.1a hotfix if you're currently using 11.1. It's the only version I could get working on my crossfire setup (post 10.12).
February 15, 2011 4:26:22 AM

Is this hotfix applicable on the 4890 drivers because they only talk about the 6000 series?

Also will it work if I flash and update my motherboards BIOS?
February 15, 2011 10:30:46 AM

They only mention the 6xxx series on the actual hotfix page, though if you go through AMD's support forums, you'll see just about everyone with a crossfire setup using 11.1a if they've even chosen to upgrade their drivers.

I applied 11.1a to my 58xx series cards. They are the only 11.x series set of drivers that worked. The 11.1 drivers wouldn't work on my crossfire setup (though they work on another PC of mine with a single card in it).

It seems AMD was more dedicated to rebranding the catalyst software (from ATI) for the new year than they were in providing better drivers for their customers with the 11.x release. At any rate, I look for the February release of the drivers to be the first real release of the new year.

10.12 drivers worked just fine and should be your goto option if you use HDMI for your audio and you run into trouble with the HDMI audio part of the driver install (they fail to install with the 11.1a drivers). Since I use DVI to my monitor and sound from my motherboard, the HDMI audio installation failure does not matter to me.

In my opinion and from my experience, I've come to the conclusion 10.12 is the last fully functioning driver release for a crossfire setup - including successful installation of HDMI audio.

Updating your motherboard's BIOS should not affect the AMD driver install.
February 15, 2011 10:49:17 AM

Thanks!! I will do as you said!!
February 16, 2011 7:21:31 AM

You can close this thread I am done. This is not working. I think my rig is carrying too much heat. Will wai for the winter and then try again!!
February 18, 2011 2:24:47 PM

Hi guys

I have installed AMD monitor and recorded when playing. This is what the log says. Does this mean anything to you guys?

2011/02/17 06:50:06 PM INFO PerformanceMonitor <<< Run Session Begin >>>
2011/02/17 06:50:06 PM ERROR PerformanceMonitor System.NullReferenceException: AMD.PerformanceMonitor.Dashboard.LocalizationManager.InitializeResourceManager method could not locate a resource file for the current culture "{0}". Defaulting to culture "en" resource file.
at AMD.PerformanceMonitor.Dashboard.LocalizationManager.InitializeResourceManager()
2011/02/17 06:58:09 PM ERROR PerformanceMonitor AMD.PerformanceMonitor.DataProvider.RAMMetricDataProvider.Poll method calculated a negative free memory value. By default, returning 0 free memory. Hardware Reserved: 4098 In Use: 1488 Modified: 55 Standby: 2562 Free: -11 Available: 2551 Cached: 2617 Total: 4094 Installed: 8192
2011/02/17 06:58:17 PM ERROR PerformanceMonitor AMD.PerformanceMonitor.DataProvider.RAMMetricDataProvider.Poll method calculated a negative free memory value. By default, returning 0 free memory. Hardware Reserved: 4098 In Use: 1487 Modified: 53 Standby: 2555 Free: -1 Available: 2554 Cached: 2608 Total: 4094 Installed: 8192
2011/02/18 06:10:03 PM INFO PerformanceMonitor <<< Run Session Begin >>>
2011/02/18 06:10:03 PM ERROR PerformanceMonitor System.NullReferenceException: AMD.PerformanceMonitor.Dashboard.LocalizationManager.InitializeResourceManager method could not locate a resource file for the current culture "{0}". Defaulting to culture "en" resource file.
at AMD.PerformanceMonitor.Dashboard.LocalizationManager.InitializeResourceManager()
2011/02/18 06:20:55 PM INFO PerformanceMonitor <<< Run Session Begin >>>
2011/02/18 06:20:55 PM ERROR PerformanceMonitor System.NullReferenceException: AMD.PerformanceMonitor.Dashboard.LocalizationManager.InitializeResourceManager method could not locate a resource file for the current culture "{0}". Defaulting to culture "en" resource file.
!