Sign in with
Your question

New System - Long BIOS Boot and Restart Issues

Last response: in Systems
April 16, 2011 3:17:24 PM

Hi Everyone!

I just finished home building my first PC. SUCH a great experience and now I will never be able to go back to just buying PCs. However, I've had some issues, which might actually be one issue manifesting itself in two separate ways:

1. When I boot the PC, it takes a very long time to reach the BIOS screen. I see the HDD indicator light up three times, and then it finally turns on. I mean it's bearable, but nothing like any PC's I've owned previously.

2. My PC won't restart. If I click restart, the monitor goes black and then turns off (indicator turns orange), but everything in the case itself stays turned on. The only way to fix it is to hold down the power button and hard reset it, which normally then ends in a failed bootup. I repeat the process and then problem one occurs, followed by a successful boot. This same thing happens if I press the restart button.

One time that #2 occurred, when it booted the POST screen displayed "Failed to boot from USB device too many times." After which I went into BIOS and checked the boot order and there isn't even a USB device option displayed. Regardless, I disabled "boot from other location" besides the harddrives I had selected and the issue did not resolve itself.

So that's it, do you think it could be a SSD issue? I had installed windows on it, realized that I wasn't in AHCI mode, switched modes, and then reinstalled windows without a Secure Erase (which I know is a no-no), but I don't think that should affect BIOS.

My Rig:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
MSI 890GXM-G65
8GB DDR3 Microcenter Brand RAM 1333 MHz (4x2GB)
Microcenter (ADATA) 64GB SSD Sandforce 1222 Driver SATA2 (Boot Drive)
1TB Seagate Barracuda (for storage, not yet plugged in to SATA as per SSD install recommendations)

Any help would be awesome!

Chris
April 16, 2011 7:36:45 PM

Just in case I didn't make it clear, the system works fine when it boots, and I also have found that my front USB ports don't always work (on the case).
a b B Homebuilt system
April 16, 2011 7:46:03 PM

Sounds like a hardware issue... have you tried it with just one stick of ram then try the other. Are you using the onboard video? do you have a card you could swap in?
Related resources
April 16, 2011 7:49:25 PM

Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried with separate sticks of RAM yet and I am using onboard video. I currently don't have a GPU to stick in, I was going to buy it separately.

I did notice in the BIOS that Descrete graphics (NOT integrated) is set to default GPU. Do you think switching that to Integrated until iI get the card could help?

However that doesn't explain the "Failed to boot from USB device too many times."
a b B Homebuilt system
April 17, 2011 12:26:56 AM

Feel free to switch BIOS to Intergrated if there is that option.
April 24, 2011 12:02:13 AM

Just so everyone knows, I solved this. I accidentally had my Overclock switch on. When the switch is set to "On" it's actually "Off.

Wrong directions ftw.
!