M2a-vm hdmi videocard problems

G

I just bought an EVGA Nvidia 8500GT and am trying to install it but I am running into some problems. The mobo comes with onboard video, which I have disabled in the bios and have set "PCIeX" as the primary display driver. When I boot up, there's nothing... just a black screen, I've tried DVI and VGA cables with no change.
I can connect the cables onto the onboard video and it works just fine (even though onboard is disabled in the bios!)

The video card is getting power just fine and the fan works on it, when I try install the Nvidia drivers it says that there is no hardware on my system for the drivers.

any ideas?

kelthic

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Try reseating the card. In the device driver, what does it say under display adapters? It should give the Onboard video and also the 8500gt or have that listed as Standard VGA adapter. If not, then the system is not seeing the 8500gt in your system. Again try taking the card out, making sure nothing is in the way and then reinserting the card.

Things to try:

1) update the motherboard BIOS
2) update the motherboard drivers (especially the main chipset drivers)
3) try a different video card
4) try a different PCIe slot, if possible

"works just fine..."
That shouldn't be happening. Are you SURE you have the correct BIOS setting? Try them all.

Xabiat

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
I've got the same issue with this Mainboard using an MSI N640GT 2Gb and a Saphire Radeon X1950XT, both cards work in other systems both before and after trying them in the M2A-VM mainboard, so at least it's not damaging the cards.

The Bios has three settings for primary video device, PCI, on board video and PCIEx. None of these settings change the output off the on board video, and none allow the add in cards to be detected by the OS after it loads...

I have seen reviews of the M2A-VM using an Nvidia 7700 card though... makes me feel pretty dumb, I'm missing something here.

Xabiat

Honorable
Jul 22, 2012
Resetting the Bios Twice, by pulling out the button cell powering the Bios Memory, causes the options for the on board video to grey out and allows booting from discrete video as primary. Problem is solved.