What should I buy?

NeroNamikaze

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Hello,

I currently have 2 x 2GB Kingston HyperX sticks of RAM, and was looking to upgrade to 8GB's (at 1600 or 1800MHz i think it is).

I don't really know much about RAM, but I do know that my motherboard says I can support Dual Channel, Unbuffered 1066/1333/1600(O.C)/ and 1800(O.C). I also only have 2 slots.

What would you guys recommend me buy? I would like the fastest possible around $55(cheapest best though :D), so i'm not sure whether I want 1800 or not, I have no idea. I've seen some stuff on newegg, but I honestly have no idea.

Thanks,

Nero

Newegg has a shellshocker special today only for patriot gamers 2 ram, which I use on my system. It's only $29.99 after ten dollar rebate, and I got mine. It will be on their main webpage all day, but may sell out. This is for 2 x 4 gb of 1333 ddr3.

NeroNamikaze

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
I installed it and now my computer boots, as in the light for the power turns on, fans are running, but the display doesn't work. It works when I put in my old RAM.

I have an ASUS M4N68T-M V2 Mobo.

NeroNamikaze

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

I inserted one and when I do the fans go on as if there's full load. I turned it off and started switching the ram around with the old/without the old/just 1 of the new ones and turning it on with each switch to test them out. I left it there for a while (With 1 old and 1 new), the fans were doing the full load thing again, and then the computer restarted and the fans went back to normal. I left this ram for a while longer then the others because I was reading my Mobos manual to see if there was anything in there that could help.

But my display was still not working. I then decided to see if I just left no RAM what would happen. The computer turned on but it made 4 beeps in a rhythm.

All this occurred with me doing anything besides changing ram.

NeroNamikaze

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

So I unplug the psu from the mobo and that should reset the BIOS?
Unplug, turn on, replug and turn on with new RAM?

NeroNamikaze

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
That didn't seem to work. It turned on and seemed to post (with both new sticks in) and after a while shut down. Then turned on without my doing, and started up normally, as if it were a regular boot, but the monitor won't receive input, or it's black.

G

I have the very same probleM! if you find out how do this please let me know, tomorrow i will be going to the shop where i got my 2 4gigs of RAM from to see if they can fix the problem, but still... one of the them or even both may be defective... Waiting to find out on how to fix this problem.. :eek:

NeroNamikaze

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
I found a solution! :D I had my BIOS set to "overclock" my RAM. Im not sure if it was overclocked, but i set my timings to specific things, so that messed it up. I then changed the timings to auto, and everything that was set already, and now it booted up and worked. Thanks for the help 01die!