Sign in with
Your question

What's the better upgrade-SSD or GPU?

Last response: in Systems
April 16, 2011 4:13:12 PM

So, I've been thinking about upgrading my PC. I've decided to either upgrade my Radeon HD 5850 1GB to a GTX 580 3GB, or get a couple of Vertex 2 SSDs. I can only afford one or the other.

For the V2s, I've been considering getting 2 240GBs, and putting them in RAID 0 (so it would be like having a 480GB). I currently don't have an SSD, and am using a 7200rpm 500GB Spinpoint F3. Based on what I've read, the SSDs could help decrease load times in games, and speed up Windows' boot time. This could be helpful, but I'm not sure if it's worth giving up the 580. I'm sure that the 580 would increase my FPS in a lot of games. Also, its 3GB of VRAM could help in GTA IV, and possibly some other games.

What do you think the best upgrade would be?

More about : upgrade ssd gpu

a b B Homebuilt system
April 16, 2011 4:19:15 PM

What resolution do you game at?

Also, I would get the Vertex 3 and not the Vertex 2.
m
l
April 16, 2011 4:19:55 PM

The SSD will help in more than just games, whileas the GPU will ONLY help in games. So the SSD would be a better all around investment I feel.

That GPU upgrade will help you remain future proof, but TBH the 5850 is a good card, i mean people today still by the 5770 which is technically "below" it. But you also have to keep in mind SSDs are getting more efficient and less expensive every day, while video card "upgrades" are really becoming less exciting as they used to.

If you strictly want FPS gains, go GPU. But if you want better load times in games and in Windows, go SSD.
m
l
Related resources
April 16, 2011 5:09:19 PM

boiler1990 said:
What resolution do you game at?

Also, I would get the Vertex 3 and not the Vertex 2.

I game at 1920x1080, and I'm considering the V2s, because they're cheaper and I don't have SATA 6. The V3s look great, though.

chris41336 said:
The SSD will help in more than just games, whileas the GPU will ONLY help in games. So the SSD would be a better all around investment I feel.

That GPU upgrade will help you remain future proof, but TBH the 5850 is a good card, i mean people today still by the 5770 which is technically "below" it. But you also have to keep in mind SSDs are getting more efficient and less expensive every day, while video card "upgrades" are really becoming less exciting as they used to.

If you strictly want FPS gains, go GPU. But if you want better load times in games and in Windows, go SSD.

Yeah, it's true that the 5850 is still a pretty good card, but there are definitely some games that I can't play on maximum settings (JC2, Arma 2, and others). It also has only 1GB of VRAM.

genghiskron said:
get 1x
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

using promo code EMCKFJE23

save the rest of the money for next gen graphics. that single SSD will have enough capacity for your OS and games, everything else can go on your 500gb HDD.

Well, I've been thinking of getting a lower capacity SSD, but it seems impractical. This is because most of my games are in Steam, and I'm pretty sure that you can only have Steam games on one drive.

m
l
!