Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Logs Off and Shuts down unexpectedly

Last response: in Components
July 17, 2011 3:49:48 PM

Earlier this week, my computer began logging off, then shutting down. I had my computer guy rebuild my HP computer, with a new motherboard, hard drive(s) etc about 6 or 8 months ago, since the Seagate hard drive that came with it croaked.

I have searched the net for viruses, trojans, worms etc that may be the cause. But I have found nothing that approximates the behavior. The closest I have come is the Sasser worm, but even that one doesn't cover what is happening.

I just let the computer sit overnight, after the last shut down and this morning it stayed running for about 15 minutes before logging off and shutting down. Then I booted it back up and it only stayed running for about a minute.

I have felt for temperature spikes, but everything seems to be normal, with no excessive heat. But, overheating seems (to me) to maybe be the issue?

I am not a Tech Guy, but I am also not an idiot....LOL

I don't know if anyone here can offer any advice or things that I may be able to do to track down the cause.....But I am hopeful someone can point me in the right direction.

TIA

Bill

AMD Phenom II, 8 Gigs of Ram, Asus M4A785-M motherboard.

More about : windows logs shuts unexpectedly

a b ) Power supply
July 17, 2011 5:15:59 PM

Could be the power supply overheating, a loose heatsink on the board or cpu, or a fan not turning. Keep troubleshooting. You are on the right track.
m
l
July 18, 2011 2:31:10 PM

Thanks so much for the response to my problem!

Per your suggestions, I pressed down on the blue Heatsink on the motherboard and heard a slight click. So far, so good. But, then again I have only been up and running for about a half an hour :o 

If I am still running later this morning, I will post again and owe you big time! :D 

Thanks Again

Bill
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
July 18, 2011 2:32:32 PM

Chances are one of the push pins wasn't engaged. With all 4 seated properly, your temps should fall.
m
l
July 18, 2011 3:59:51 PM

I just downloaded a program to check the temps of all the hardware and here is the report.

Since I really don't have a clue as to what the temps should be......Do they look normal?

TIA

Bill :D 

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 18, 2011 4:55:16 PM

Excellent temps. You can change the readings to celcius if you like. Normally the cpu temp range is about 35-60c (under load while gaming).
m
l
July 20, 2011 8:09:10 PM

COOL!.....No pun intended :D  I started replying to your post right after you posted it and while I was typing my reply, the damn computer logged off and shut down again :cry: 

So, I bit the bullet and took it to my computer shop. Where they plugged it in, started it up and we stood around for a few hours waiting for it to do it's thing. :sleep: 

Well, they looked at me like I was on drugs, stupid, hallucinating or all of the above and gave it back to me.....So, back home, hooked it up, only plugged in the mouse, keyboard and internet, like it was at the computer shop.........BAM! Down Goes Frazier...Down Goes Frazier (My best Howard Cosell impersonation :sol:  )

So, I took it back to them and left it there hooked up and running......About 6 pm off she went! Bottom line, they yanked out the wimpy power supply in it and put in a larger new one.

They called me this morning before they even opened and said it was done......So, now you know the rest of the story :D 

I have had it back since early this morning and all is well (so far!).

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it! :D  :D  :D 

Bill
m
l
March 12, 2013 4:07:40 PM

billshideler said:
Earlier this week, my computer began logging off, then shutting down. I had my computer guy rebuild my HP computer, with a new motherboard, hard drive(s) etc about 6 or 8 months ago, since the Seagate hard drive that came with it croaked.

I have searched the net for viruses, trojans, worms etc that may be the cause. But I have found nothing that approximates the behavior. The closest I have come is the Sasser worm, but even that one doesn't cover what is happening.

I just let the computer sit overnight, after the last shut down and this morning it stayed running for about 15 minutes before logging off and shutting down. Then I booted it back up and it only stayed running for about a minute.

I have felt for temperature spikes, but everything seems to be normal, with no excessive heat. But, overheating seems (to me) to maybe be the issue?

I am not a Tech Guy, but I am also not an idiot....LOL

I don't know if anyone here can offer any advice or things that I may be able to do to track down the cause.....But I am hopeful someone can point me in the right direction.

TIA

Bill

AMD Phenom II, 8 Gigs of Ram, Asus M4A785-M motherboard.

m
l
March 12, 2013 4:16:13 PM

I had the same problem. checked all cables, updates etc. all fine. I downloaded a app called don't sleep.. apparently this is a Microsoft issue. my system runs below 100 degrees F. the app fixed it. I just run te app when im have a long download fro a torrent site or im running my pc for something long, works great. no more shutting down. I have 5 machines in my home running win 7 only my main machine does this. I do have it overclocked to 4.6. its an i7 3.4 gh chip but it runs cold. rarely goes above 90F have 9 fans and water cooler. THIS APP WORKS DON'T SLEEP
m
l
!