Question Regarding PCIe x16 Slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awackypenguin

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131792

The above link is the mobo I'm looking to upgrade to. It has 2 PCIe x16 slots (I'm only really using the 3.0 ones). I'm using a 2 slot graphics card, meaning that if I use the first slot, I cover a PCIe x1 slot, and if I use the second slot, it will cover a PCI slot. I'd much rather cover a PCI slot than the PCIe x1 slot, but my question is, if I put my graphics card into the second slot, will that slot still run at x16 or will it be reduced to x8? Thanks for any answers :)

Solution
Use one pci-e slot will be x16. Using two pic-e slots this board will reduce both slots to x8. X8 pci-e slots run great and u will not notice any performance drops.

The Asus z68 is a great board. Overclocks great and very reliable. The only thing is the 3rd pci-e slot cannot be used for tri-sli due to it x4 limitations.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Use one pci-e slot will be x16. Using two pic-e slots this board will reduce both slots to x8. X8 pci-e slots run great and u will not notice any performance drops.

The Asus z68 is a great board. Overclocks great and very reliable. The only thing is the 3rd pci-e slot cannot be used for tri-sli due to it x4 limitations.

Solution

Awackypenguin

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

So it depends on the amount of graphics cards you have in, not which slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.